Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 04:47 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

A study that claimed 650,000 people were killed as a result of the invasion of Iraq was partly funded by the antiwar billionaire George Soros.

Soros, 77, provided almost half the nearly $100,000 cost of the research, which appeared in The Lancet, the medical journal. Its claim was 10 times higher than consensus estimates of the number of war dead.

FOXNews.com - Anti-War Billionaire George Soros Funded Iraq Study - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 05:02 PM

436 posts, read 810,356 times
Soros is an idiot politically,

BUT- he has a lot of money, therfore, the idiots of America believe him

Old 01-13-2008, 05:12 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,664,384 times

Right... Wouldnt believe anything this freak put his money on.

Then, ask yourself why would you put 100k into this? What is his agenda?

If there has been that many deaths contributed to the us going into Iraq, I bet we have saved 3 times that from being gassed.

By you using the word invasion tells me what this is all about.

I want to see comparsions then, how many lives have been saved, how many will be projected to live longer since they actually get real food now etc.

Tree huggers always take the side of the poor and unfortunate but fail to see that millions in Iraq have benefitted from us being there.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:12 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,977 times
George Soros is an epic financial genius. No one can ever deny him that.

On social issues, he is part right, part wrong (100% wrong on issues like gun rights and his flaming liberalism in other areas of concern often times does go too far- it sure is easy to benevolently support higher taxes based on philanthropic, social and idealistic reasons when you're an old billionaire who has already won the financial game and the taxes in question won't affect your yachts one way or the other)

Old 01-13-2008, 05:17 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
If it takes a billionaire to fund a study to see how many our government is killing because our government refuses to count them, then so be it. If I had a billion dollars, I'd do the same thing. What a shame the search for the Truth requires private investment in this, the 'freest' country on the planet.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:18 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,886 times
George Soros is not someone who can accurately be summed up by a soundbite like "anti-war billionaire."

He is a highly intelligent man, who made his billions running very successful hedge funds. A lot of his money has been spent in philanthropic ways, for instance, building universities in eastern Europe, promoting education, and helping build bridges between ethnic groups there that have long histories of conflict. He's a man who believes in the ability of men to live cooperatively, in peace, and building common futures together.

His family fled Europe during the nazi-reign during WWII, and he saw first-hand some of the horrors of that time. He has spoken out about some of the things he sees today that resemble the warning signs that were seen in the Europe of the late 1930's. When men like George Soros speak, we should listen.

I cannot believe that the $100,000 study is inaccurate, deceitful, or some kind of propaganda.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:30 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,977 times
Yeah, I agree with Tim Rankin.
Soros has been overly lionized by those on the left, completely marginalized by those on the right...

Viewing him in a purely objective vacuum, given his life history, experiences, past charitable actions and extraordinary degree of ultra-high performance as a financial operator, it's pretty clear that he is the sort of person we should pay attention to. We don't have to agree with him or we don't even have to like him, still... the sort of person who is able to come from nothing and make a billion dollars- whether his life experiences ultimately determine his politics to the left or the right- that's usually the sort of person who warrants consideration when they speak.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:44 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,664,384 times
It should have spent his money on helping poor people instead of trying to prove a point. A point that means nothing to anyone other then the bush haters.
Boy if someone rich rep would have done this and showed us all that he has saved a million lives people it would get torned apart as to why.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:50 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
It should have spent his money on helping poor people instead of trying to prove a point. A point that means nothing to anyone other then the bush haters.
Boy if someone rich rep would have done this and showed us all that he has saved a million lives people it would get torned apart as to why.

Dude if he was a Republican you would be all excited, here is a guy that can pull himself up by his bootstraps and make something of himself in spite of life's obstacles thrown his way. Take that you evil libbies!!

The number of dead may mean nothing to you, but I am thinking they probably mean something to the Iraqis...you know, those people we want to Liberate and play in the garden of Freedom with so bad. I don't see a whole lot of other people counting. It is acknowledging the basic value and dignity of human life even if it is not American.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
I don't care who funds what. I care about critical evaluation of the conclusions by credible organizations, and their conclusions as a result of the critical analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies