Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 02:07 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
This is about business owners who have petitioned the courts alleging they're being 'substantially burdened' in their efforts to freely exercise their religion by providing services to people.

Ostensibly, they've gotten together & have asked the courts to step in & protect their religious freedom. Are you saying business owners want to be considered a 'protected class'?
But once again, what verses in the Bible command Christians not to associate with homosexuals, or other sinners, such as adulterers? If I was the judge asked to deal with this as a case, I would ask that.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 03-29-2015 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 02:08 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Selectively denying services by alleging one is being 'substantially burdened' in efforts to freely exercise their religion is different from:
  • refusing to date someone
  • baseball card trading

If this is not a religious issue, why the allegation they're being 'substantially burdened' in efforts to freely exercise their religion?

This is getting (beyond) ridiculous.
I'm not trying to defend their reasoning, if that's what you think. I'm just defending their right to serve who they want because it's their right. Same reason I support neo-nazis being allowed to promote their ideas...I strongly disagree, but they should be allowed to do it.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:15 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
It is if you are cherry picking who you want to serve however. If "Christian" owners were considered about not promoting sinful behavior they would refuse wedding cakes to people who are drunks, getting married after a divorce, pagans, known convicts, etc etc etc. What they do is cherry pick a group they simply aren't comfortable with and try to use religion to justify it.
I think this is it, in a nutshell, using religion to justify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
They never comment on their remarkable ability to cherry pick which part of the Bible they choose to follow.

IF they were truly trying to emulate Jesus, they would be a lot more forgiving and inclusive. Didn't he hang with lepers and prostitutes?

Maybe they should take a page from HIS book. No pun intended.
I agree here too, aside from their hypocrisy, it also shows a lack of courage. (I happen to like Jesus - especially his words & the way he got to the heart of things, gracefully, beautifully, peacefully, ... . Although he did get a bit angry sometimes, understandably when attempting to reason with the hypocrites of his day, the Sadducees & the Pharisees were the conservatives ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Republicans like to market themselves as pro-business, yet their "religious freedom" laws that discriminate against LGBT people are BAD for business (as what's happening in Indiana right now). It does nothing but lead to reduced revenues, boycotts and travel bans. Seriously...what good does that do for ANYONE?!
It's a 'zero-sum game' on many levels, I agree.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But once again, what verses in the Bible command Christians not to associate with homosexuals, or other sinners, such as adulterers? If I was the judge asked to deal with this as a case, I would ask that.
I agree, I like the story where Jesus says 'let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.'

Old 03-29-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm not trying to defend their reasoning, if that's what you think. I'm just defending their right to serve who they want because it's their right. Same reason I support neo-nazis being allowed to promote their ideas...I strongly disagree, but they should be allowed to do it.
Isn't it, de facto, the same thing?

Old 03-29-2015, 02:47 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Isn't it, de facto, the same thing?
Yes, I suppose so. They're just making it a freedom of religion issue, while I'm making it a general freedom from force issue.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:59 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Republicans like to market themselves as pro-business, yet their "religious freedom" laws that discriminate against LGBT people are BAD for business (as what's happening in Indiana right now). It does nothing but lead to reduced revenues, boycotts and travel bans. Seriously...what good does that do for ANYONE?!
Goodness, the law does not discriminate just against gays, the law allows for discrimination against straight people also.

"Pro-business" generally means less gov regulations dictating how a business is ran. This is an example, whereas the regulation allows a business to discriminate against gays and straights, as in the business can do what it wants in regards to this.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:06 PM

335 posts, read 424,203 times
Default Apple's CEO Tim Cook blasts Indiana religious freedom law

I agree with the Apple CEO.

Apple's Cook joins tech CEOs in blasting Indiana religious freedom law | Reuters

Apple Inc's Tim Cook, one of the most prominent openly gay American CEOs, has joined fellow tech industry chiefs in decrying a controversial Indiana law that opponents say could allow companies to deny services to gay people.

Cook, who publicly declared his sexual orientation last year, joined other tech chief executives, including Salesforce.com Inc's Marc Benioff, in blasting the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which could let business and individuals turn away customers by citing "religious freedom."

Old 03-29-2015, 03:09 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Goodness, the law does not discriminate just against gays, the law allows for discrimination against straight people also.

"Pro-business" generally means less gov regulations dictating how a business is ran. This is an example, whereas the regulation allows a business to discriminate against gays and straights, as in the business can do what it wants in regards to this.
No gay marriage, no law. The law was enacted as a response to the legalization of gay marriage and the irrational and ridiculous concern that some baker is going to have to bake a "gay cake" and by so doing force him to violate his deepest held religious convictions. Saying otherwise is just twisting reality as a cover for bigotry.

Furthermore, it does not sound like businesses want any part of this bigotry charade. They begged Pence not to approve it, but he did anyway to pander to the religious extremists. It is hardly "pro-business". He has put his state in a fine mess, to say the least. For no good reason, whatsover.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:13 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
Does Tim Cook live in Indiana? Does he have any experience with being refused service in a business?
If the answer to both questions is NO, why is he running off at the mouth about things that do not concern him?
Sign seen in many businesses in the past: "We reserve the RIGHT to refuse service to ANYONE!" (Emphasis added)
Note the word RIGHT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies