Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 03:15 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,100,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Does Tim Cook live in Indiana? Does he have any experience with being refused service in a business?
If the answer to both questions is NO, why is he running off at the mouth about things that do not concern him?
Sign seen in many businesses in the past: "We reserve the RIGHT to refuse service to ANYONE!" (Emphasis added)
Note the word RIGHT!
I've never been or had a slave, but I know slavery is wrong. But how! I have no experience with the issue! But I'll be sure to say nothing when some lune says slavery should come back...

A bill like this is absurd. If a business wants to refuse service, they technically can. But it's an insult to liberty to create a bill that gives people a reason to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 03:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,930,818 times
This is just the leftist media playing its games. If a conservative CEO said something about the state of CA and a new liberal law, guess how much play it would get in the media? That's right, none, unless it was used by the media to bash the CEO.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:18 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Apple certainly does business in Indiana but to me what this shows is what I believe should be done can work. I will admit up front it might not always have.

I believe a business owner should be able to do business with whoever they please, or not to do business with whoever.

Those who disagree with their business models have every right to both protest and boycott those decisions.

There shouldn't be a need for a law like this but once created Indiana officials seem to be backing off because of the number of people who are saying they will not be doing business with Indiana.

You don't need the government to force people to do things you have the power to do yourself.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,843,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No gay marriage, no law. The law was enacted as a response to the legalization of gay marriage and the irrational and ridiculous concern that some baker is going to have to bake a "gay cake" and by so doing force him to violate his deepest held religious convictions. Saying otherwise is just twisting reality as a cover for bigotry.

Furthermore, it does not sound like businesses want any part of this bigotry charade. They begged Pence not to approve it, but he did anyway to pander to the religious extremists. It is hardly "pro-business". He has put his state in a fine mess, to say the least. For no good reason, whatsover.
I disagree with the law, but the law does not state specifically about gays, the business can discriminate against straights as well, and discriminate against other religions if not for other laws.

The only mess the state will be in is from the irrational knee jerk reactions.

I do not get the law anyway, a business cannot have a religion, only a person operating the business, I guess this is an extension of "business are people" mentality.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,849,618 times
Tim Cook should get back to doing his job instead of making public pronouncements about his sexuality and wringing his hands like a biddie-bat over what's going on in another state.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:47 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,885,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Tim Cook should get back to doing his job instead of making public pronouncements about his sexuality and wringing his hands like a biddie-bat over what's going on in another state.
Do you think Apple does no business in Indiana? How about Salesforce.com, whose CEO has cancelled programs that require travel to Indiana? Or GenCom, the gaming convention that brings in more than $50 million every year, threatening to move to another state? Or Angie’s List, whose CEO Bill Oesterle said the company would halt an expansion in Indianapolis scheduled to begin next week. Yelp has said they will not maintain or expand a business presence in Indiana due to the legislation. And Eli Lilly and Company, the global drug giant, which employs more than 11,000 workers in the state, has condemned the law, calling it “bad for business.â€

Indiana does not exist in a vacuum. Although they seem to be working hard to make it that way.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:04 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I disagree with the law, but the law does not state specifically about gays, the business can discriminate against straights as well, and discriminate against other religions if not for other laws.

The only mess the state will be in is from the irrational knee jerk reactions.

I do not get the law anyway, a business cannot have a religion, only a person operating the business, I guess this is an extension of "business are people" mentality.
That's a very real mess. It cost us millions and millions in convention business and hundreds if not thousands of jobs, sullied the reputation of the state for years and maybe turned off an entire generation of young people when the anti-alien bills were passed. It did not matter that they were modified by the legislature (as IN is currently planning) and ultimately tossed out by the courts. The "irrational" damage was done and it will be done to Indiana as well. The Indiana governor made an unforced error of monumental proportions. He knows it. It will be interesting to see how he tries to get out the mess.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:12 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,885,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That's a very real mess. It cost us millions and millions in convention business and hundreds if not thousands of jobs, sullied the reputation of the state for years and maybe turned off an entire generation of young people when the anti-alien bills were passed. It did not matter that they were modified by the legislature (as IN is currently planning) and ultimately tossed out by the courts. The "irrational" damage was done and it will be done to Indiana as well. The Indiana governor made an unforced error of monumental proportions. He knows it. It will be interesting to see how he tries to get out the mess.
That's an easy one. He will take the time-honored Republican tactic and blame the media for the national outrage his actions have provoked. Because any time the GOP is caught doing something stupid it's always that damn liberal media's fault.

Pence blames media: 'Read the bill,' not the papers

Old 03-29-2015, 04:29 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,797,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Does Tim Cook live in Indiana? Does he have any experience with being refused service in a business?
If the answer to both questions is NO, why is he running off at the mouth about things that do not concern him?
Sign seen in many businesses in the past: "We reserve the RIGHT to refuse service to ANYONE!" (Emphasis added)
Note the word RIGHT!
So Indiana can reintroduce blatant discrimination and no one living outside of Indiana can criticize? I suppose that if Indiana were to legalize the branding of adulterers with a big old A on their foreheads, you would believe the same about criticism.

BTW this law will be declared unconstitutional eventually. If religious bigots dont want to do business with ALL citizens, they dont have to go into business. They can get jobs as laundry workers.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:55 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The bill will also allow businesses to turn away straight customers as well...
Where in the bible does God say some straight people are such extreme sinners that Christian storekeepers must show them the door?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies