Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 07:57 AM

89,322 posts, read 45,051,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I don't know, you'd have to ask them.
I have. They can't/don't answer. I've even redirected the more insistent ones to focus their efforts on getting the First Amendment repealed if they felt so strongly about allowing only some people but not others to have rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 08:04 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,354,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No baking the cake shows that you chose to open a bakery and someone ordered a cake from you. No one asks their bakers permission or for their approval of their marriage, they just ask them to do their job and bake a cake.
I bet you're a real Sally Kohn fan. You sound like her parrot.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:11 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,248,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I bet you're a real Sally Kohn fan. You sound like her parrot.
Who?

Old 04-08-2015, 08:38 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,963,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But he is so wrong that I can only take pity out on him as a human being.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Amen brother!
You're a white, hetero male, I assume?

Old 04-09-2015, 05:34 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,729,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
Maybe most of his customers are Christian.
Most isn't all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
What if the baker puts a sign on his door, Christian bakery. We don't make cakes for gay marriage. What would you do?
Recognize it as yet another example of the Dominionist bigotry that so many religious reactionaries engage in in our society.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:39 AM

89,322 posts, read 45,051,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Recognize it as yet another example of the Dominionist bigotry that so many religious reactionaries engage in in our society.
Intolerance of another's religion is bigotry.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:21 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,800,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, gee, I guess it might be obvious depending on what the decorations are, and in at least one case, the person ordering the cake was known to the baker.

Let's not be silly here.

What "many Christians" may think is irrelevant. "Many Christians" that do not think it's wrong do not know scripture. Many are Christians in name only, and aren't really Christians at all, though they may think they are. There are a lot of "good people" who attend church who claim to be Christian who will wind up in Hell.
This would include you. You're the very type of person Jesus was talking to when he said, "Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’"

You do not follow the will of God. You treat gays like dirt, constantly judging them while refusing to deal with your own sins. Jesus would never treat gays the way you do. You bear bad fruit.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:32 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,700,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'm sorry, but we will just have to respectfully disagree on this one! I don't know that and neither do you. In the end, GOD is the final judge! Not you! Not me! Given the numerous interpretations of the Bible and numerous versions of Christianity it leaves a lot of room debate. So therefore, in the meantime I will continue to treat others with dignity and respect, and live by Christ's teachings of love thy neighbor as myself to the best of my abilities!
So does God forgive the Christian baker whose cake ended up at a gay wedding? Or would you have difficulty forgiving a Christian baker whose cake ended up there?

Old 04-09-2015, 10:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,014,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So does God forgive the Christian baker whose cake ended up at a gay wedding? Or would you have difficulty forgiving a Christian baker whose cake ended up there?

To your first question I'm not God, so you'd have to ask Him. But I can't imagine God is going to get hung up on trivial BS, and condemn a baker to Hell for baking a cake for a gay couple! As for the second issue I have no issue with a Christian baker who baked a cake for a gay wedding. It isn't up to me to judge how "Christian" or not that person is. In fact I would say he is being more "Christian" by not passing judgement on others as Christ has instructed us to not do so! Heck if I was a baker I'd do it! In this s***ty economy you do what you have to do to provide for your family, so long as it is within reason! When it comes down to it the priority of making money to feed my family is numero uno!

Old 04-09-2015, 03:04 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,759,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
How would they know? If you are asking for laws that exempt you from violating your religious beliefs, then surely you should be making sure that none of your "participation" in any celebration violates ANY of your beliefs.

If the mother to be remains unmarried, is it not still an sinful lifestyle?

How about an anniversary cake for an unmarried couple? Should they check whether they're still virgins? Perhaps a doctor's note?

The key is knowing. If I know my product is going to be used in a sinful act, then I don't want to sell it. Simple as that. If I don't know what it will be used for then it's not really a moral conflict. I would not be dishonoring God if I had no knowledge of the sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies