Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think Sexual Orientation is a Case of "Nature" or "Nurture?"
Nature 72 58.54%
Nurture 16 13.01%
A Bit of Both 37 30.08%
I'm Not Sure 2 1.63%
Other (Please Specify Below) 3 2.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
...as someone once said (forget who, but I'm sure someone here will recognize the quote I'm mangling), "The love that dare not speak its name now won't shut up".
So true.

And its name is "Ego."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 05:53 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Good to see another thread on this issue ! Some of us just cant get enough of this topic!
Do you think I care to see all of the topics about illegal immigration, gun rights, Republicans, Christianity, etc.? If you don't like discussing the topic, then don't participate, just as I told NewtoCA earlier when she questioned why I wanted to talk about this. I don't like any of those topics, so I don't poke my nose into them.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 01-15-2008 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-15-2008, 05:54 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
There's still a LOT of headway to be made on this very poignant political and social issue, and keeping discussion fresh and in the spotlight is the best resource the LGBT community has of securing equality.
As someone who is generally gay right supportive let me state...baloney.

Keeping the discussion "fresh and in the spotlight" reinforces the perception of many in the straight community that this becomes more of an ADVOCACY issue instead of an ACCEPTANCE issue. Think this might result in a negative reaction?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:57 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Good to see another thread on this issue ! Some of us just cant get enough of this topic!
Yet there's an entire forum dedicated to the immigration debate.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I was referring to the earlier comments in this thread about the need for another exhaustive thread on the subject. Why did I click on this thread? To vote in the poll. Until I read the first post, I didn't realize there was more to it.
Why do so many of you feel as if the LGBT civil equality issue is less of a pertinent political issue than all of these threads about illegal immigrations, gun rights, abortion, Christianizing our public schools, Republicans, etc.? I've said this a billion times, but I'll say it again. I don't like talking about those issues so instead of posting a reply to those threads saying "Why do you want to talk about stuff like this" I just stay out. Why silas, yourself, NewtoCA and the others with no further interest in LGBT issues feel the need to torture yourselves by reading more of these topics you find to be so abhorrently boring or overdramatized is beyond me. I avoid the religious topics at all costs because I'm afraid some of the Kool-Aid drinkers will infect me---likewise if people don't like talking about LGBT issues, then please refrain from questioning those of us who feel as if it is important to keep this issues in the limelight until we secure equality.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
As someone who is generally gay right supportive let me state...baloney.

Keeping the discussion "fresh and in the spotlight" reinforces the perception of many in the straight community that this becomes more of an ADVOCACY issue instead of an ACCEPTANCE issue. Think this might result in a negative reaction?
So if the gays just shut up we'd secure civil equality?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:27 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
So if the gays just shut up we'd secure civil equality?
It would help. No one likes stuff thrown in their face...it can tend to have unintended consequences.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:55 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I think it's nature. I never woke up and decided to be heterosexual. I was that way from day one. I could not have made any other choice.

Unfortunately, homosexuals are frequently the objects of ridicule or even worse, so I'm not sure that it would be a very popular choice. Also, if it were a choice, why would people try to hide it or try to change it?

As for the point about parental relationships having an influence, I think there are people who have very difficult emotional scars and they may act out in a sexual manner. However, I don't think that it's an expression of genuine sexuality as much as a response to emotional pain.
gave you a rep point, mainly for your last paragraph, agree 100%

Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
I have always been "the outsider" and have friends of all different types. The homosexual has to be born with the ability to be aroused by the same sex. However, that exists to an extent in everyone. I believe that humans are a measure of heterosexual, homosexual and asexual. I am one of the true minority, the asexual. In almost 40 years of life i have not had a girlfriend, boyfriend or any romantic attraction. Marriage to me is a legal arrangement between two people. To others it is a sacred bond approved by God. The Government has a responsibility for legal matters, but religious matters should not be. In my view, any couple has the right to the legal benefits of "marriage". However, it should not be endorsed as moral or not by Government.

It is a fact that those who protest against homosexuality were either abused by a homosexual or are one themself. I would agree with condeming homosexuals if they were victimizing someone. The simple fact is that most homosexual activity is consensual.

One fact to consider, most women like associating with gay men. I have had a few associates get hooked up with girls from gay guys.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:25 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Purplecow1 - I somewhat agree with you, with the exception of using animal behavior to justify anything - Their brains are inferior to our brains - They react to their environment. How about a dog humping anything in sight?...It certainly would not justify a guy on the subway humping a pole or the leg of someone standing next to him?

While I was growing up I knew several guys that became gay. The one thing that I noticed that they all had in common was strained relationships with their fathers, or their fathers were downright mean and abusive s.o.b.s (often regularly beating their wives).
Ah, but the question is - were they gay because their fathers were abusive - or were their fathers abusive because they sensed that their sons were gay and felt it was some sort of reflection on their own masculinity?

I suspect the latter.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies