Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 12:36 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,109,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Don't see a problem with setting certain rules I suppose.

Kansas Bans Poor People From Spending Welfare On Cruise Ships
Yes, because there is an unstoppable tsunami of welfare recipients bilking the taxpayers with their rampant use of welfare cards on cruise ships.

Just like there is rampant voter fraud occurring throughout the country at such an epidemic level that it is resulting in the liberals and progressives stealing elections in the states of.........hmm......that is in the counties of...........uh.......I mean, the cities of......um..........oh, it doesn't matter.

The Republican leadership in the state of Kansas (like Republicans everywhere) has come up with a solution to a problem that does not exist and you just need to shut up and support it like a good sheeple, er, American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 01:01 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Yeah, actually it does work in the real world, and it's less expensive and more convenient.

1. There's no reason why someone would have to pay cash for their utilities. All utilities accept some form of non-cash payment, e.g. those EBT cards that the OP mentioned.

2. The article did not talk about people who are "too broke for bank accounts." It talked about people who CHOSE not to have account, but then realized that it's too expensive and incovenient to do without one.

3. In a day and age where you can get a free checking account, there's no excuse not to have one. For that matter, there's also no excuse to keep paying fees for check cashing, debit card reloads, etc.
A lot of people would LOVE To live in your world!

1. A LOT of so-called 'local' utilities no longer have offices in every city, town or hamlet that they do business in. The only places you can pay your bills are on-line, throught the mail, or at a local store that accepts payments as a third party convenience. These store only accept cash or checks for these payments.

2. Many poor have failed credit, which means they can't get a checking account at all, free or not, without having money deposited in the bank to back it up. No money, no checks.

2. Thank you, Marie Antoinette. Your fee-free checking is not available to the working (or non-working) poor, nor are free accounts that offer free check cashing or any other banking services. Banks only offer these services to customers that they can make a profit on in other ways. No money, no profit.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:28 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
IIRC I have read about people on Assistance getting in trouble for having cash saved in a bank.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:34 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Accessing ATMs on cruise ships is NOT new.

California 2010..read the full article..$387,000 of CA TANF withdrawn in Hawaii hot tourist spots.

$69 million in California welfare money drawn out of state - latimes
Of the $1.5 million accessed in Florida, $13,109 was spent or withdrawn in South Beach, most of that at bars and restaurants along trendy Lincoln Road. More than $7,000 was withdrawn from ATMs a few hours north, at Walt Disney World.

The data also show $16,010 withdrawn from 14 cruise ships sailing from ports around the world — Long Beach, Rio de Janeiro, Beijing. Eight sail primarily from Miami.
Let's add the important part:

"Reporting from Sacramento — More than $69 million in California welfare money, meant to help the needy pay their rent and clothe their children, has been spent or withdrawn outside the state in recent years, including millions in Las Vegas, hundreds of thousands in Hawaii and thousands on cruise ships sailing from Miami."

So, "in recent years", a TOTAL of $16,010 has been accessed on cruise ships in 14 separate cases. To put it into perspective, over 38,000,000 people live in California, giving a per capita cost of .04 CENTS, or 1 cent per every 25 people, spread out over a period of "recent years".

Old 04-07-2015, 01:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Yes, because there is an unstoppable tsunami of welfare recipients bilking the taxpayers with their rampant use of welfare cards on cruise ships.

Just like there is rampant voter fraud occurring throughout the country at such an epidemic level that it is resulting in the liberals and progressives stealing elections in the states of.........hmm......that is in the counties of...........uh.......I mean, the cities of......um..........oh, it doesn't matter.

The Republican leadership in the state of Kansas (like Republicans everywhere) has come up with a solution to a problem that does not exist and you just need to shut up and support it like a good sheeple, er, American.
This is a Federal law passed by Congress in 2012 and signed by Obama.
The Obama administration made a historical change to TANF which now restricts how they get their money.

Don't go blaming Kansas for something passed by Congress. All states are mandated to change their TANF rules or face stiff penalties and a withholding of Fed welfare money.

The Fed did't come out and admit there's fraud though..they call it "inconsistencies" in how welfare money is used..LOL
Always the doublespeak.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:59 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
I'd sure like to know where you can get an EBT card with so few restrictions. I had to jump through hoops and I have go in now for a one on one interview on a regular basis.

Likewise, when I get MOs from a check cashing place or have to cash the birthday or Christmas check I get from my mom, it's still far cheaper to pay their fees than to maintain a bank account. I have yet to see a "free" bank account and I seriously can't afford to let even the piddly little sum of $100 (sarcasm) just sit in the account.

By the way, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am in the Puget Sound area. ANYONE who wants to see what I buy and why I buy it with my food stamps (EBT card) is welcome to go with me when I shop. Just have some stamina. This month I went to 8 different stores to get all the sales items. I was out from 11am to 4:30pm and that was JUST food shopping. A few places I had to omit because they were closed (Easter Sunday) or I just forgot and bypassed them and didn't want to backtrack.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:04 PM

506 posts, read 427,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

The Republicans love focusing on solving problems that don't exist.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:08 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
Oh, yeah, I forgot to add, when I went out shopping this month, I bought 5 12-paks of soda (buy 2, get 3 free). The reason? Last January I had stents put in for an aneurysm. Because of the stents, I can't take my regular acid reflux medication. I take a different kind which barely works. The result is I suffer acid reflux every day and drinking the soda keeps me from throwing up on a daily basis - most of the time. This is only going to go on another 3 months and then I can go back on my regular medication. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to this, because besides gaining weight from the soda, I am getting very tired of the sugar (the diet sodas make me sick) and how it's making me feel. Plus there are only a couple flavors I can get, because I need to get only non-caffeinated sodas.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:08 PM

506 posts, read 427,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'd sure like to know where you can get an EBT card with so few restrictions. I had to jump through hoops and I have go in now for a one on one interview on a regular basis.

Likewise, when I get MOs from a check cashing place or have to cash the birthday or Christmas check I get from my mom, it's still far cheaper to pay their fees than to maintain a bank account. I have yet to see a "free" bank account and I seriously can't afford to let even the piddly little sum of $100 (sarcasm) just sit in the account.

By the way, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am in the Puget Sound area. ANYONE who wants to see what I buy and why I buy it with my food stamps (EBT card) is welcome to go with me when I shop. Just have some stamina. This month I went to 8 different stores to get all the sales items. I was out from 11am to 4:30pm and that was JUST food shopping. A few places I had to omit because they were closed (Easter Sunday) or I just forgot and bypassed them and didn't want to backtrack.
How much money and time did you waste by traveling to 8 different stores? I'll bet you wasted more money doing the traveling than you saved on the purchases.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:17 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,234,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is a Federal law passed by Congress in 2012 and signed by Obama.
The Obama administration made a historical change to TANF which now restricts how they get their money.

Don't go blaming Kansas for something passed by Congress. All states are mandated to change their TANF rules or face stiff penalties and a withholding of Fed welfare money.

The Fed did't come out and admit there's fraud though..they call it "inconsistencies" in how welfare money is used..LOL
Always the doublespeak.
So you are further proving that the Republicans are "fixing" a problem, that does not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies