Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 02:22 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,204,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
It doesn't make sense to not have a checking account. Chase offers one for free, I don't think you need a minimum balance but it's my secondary account and I always keep at least $100 in it. All you have to do is use their debit card 5 times a month to avoid a fee. You can actually just buy $1 item at a store or a fast food place 5 times a month to comply.
It doesn't make sense to most of us, but 10 million US households lack bank accounts. Banks have shut almost 2000 branches since late 2008, and 93 percent of closings have been in postal codes where the household income is below the national median. This situation can make it very difficult to get to bank branches. Some states require that banks offer no fee accounts without minimums, but not all do.

There is also a lack of financial education. I'd bet most of us had our first bank account opened for us by a parent who taught us how to use banking services. If poor parents don't have their own accounts, they can't teach their children how to bank. Basic financial planning should be a HS requirement. I worked for a charity where we took former foster kids who had graduated high school on a type of scavenger hunt where they were taught how to open a bank account, fill out a rental agreement, and various other basics of life. These kids had no clue about any of these very basic activities. Many poor kids are in the same boat.

There was a proposal to have Post offices provide some basic financial services since they have branches in many low income areas that don't have banks, already provide money orders, and provide retail services. This was met with severe political backlash by moneyed interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 02:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
And then you have illegals who are getting benefits for their US born children and they won't open bank accounts.
They deal in cash only most of the time.

And then you have those working under the table for cash not wanting a bank account where deposits can be traced.

There's lots of reasons the poor don't have bank accounts.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:00 PM

98 posts, read 88,550 times
God bless Kansas it is time to put the heel of steel boot on these bloodsuckers! I have no problem helping anyone in need, but this trash sucking our blood...cruise ships indeed!

Old 04-07-2015, 04:13 PM

15 posts, read 26,806 times
Swimming pools??? - hanging out at public swimming pools? What's the admission fee? A couple of bucks?

I get cruise ships and everything else mentioned here, but the swimming pool issue eludes me, unless they're talking about BUYING a swimming pool for their back yard with welfare money.

Last edited by Kim in WI; 04-07-2015 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: re-read original post

Old 04-07-2015, 04:22 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,429,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
I can see the liquor stores and cruise ships, but not comfortable with the others.

Forbidding them from spending on fortune tellers might conflict with "Freedom of Religion" for people of certain religions.

As far as swimming pools, that could prevent the poor from having access to swimming lessons, which are healthy and can save lives. That would be sad.

Moreover, swimming and aquatic exercise are very healthy, and are particularly recommended for certain health conditions. The poor should not be prevented from using their benefits to engage in healthy exercise.
The government doesn't have to pay for people's religious observance.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:28 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,047,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Yes, because there is an unstoppable tsunami of welfare recipients bilking the taxpayers with their rampant use of welfare cards on cruise ships.

Just like there is rampant voter fraud occurring throughout the country at such an epidemic level that it is resulting in the liberals and progressives stealing elections in the states of.........hmm......that is in the counties of...........uh.......I mean, the cities of......um..........oh, it doesn't matter.

The Republican leadership in the state of Kansas (like Republicans everywhere) has come up with a solution to a problem that does not exist and you just need to shut up and support it like a good sheeple, er, American.

but it sure does make 'em look like they are getting tough on those welfare and food stamp queens.... I mean, cheats....

Old 04-07-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in WI View Post
Swimming pools??? - hanging out at public swimming pools? What's the admission fee? A couple of bucks?

I get cruise ships and everything else mentioned here, but the swimming pool issue eludes me, unless they're talking about BUYING a swimming pool for their back yard with welfare money.
Places like Splashdown (water parks) are the "swimming pools".

Old 04-07-2015, 04:53 PM

7,030 posts, read 4,910,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
How much money and time did you waste by traveling to 8 different stores? I'll bet you wasted more money doing the traveling than you saved on the purchases.
Um, no, I didn't. All of the stores except for one (about 8 miles one way out of the area) were within a 10 mile circle. I had filled up my car on about $30 (the Fred Meyer gas station was selling gas for $2.53/gal - most places are still $2.79+/gal)and I travelled about 50 miles. The gas gauge is still on the full mark. I usually don't go to that one store unless they have some very good things for sale, which they did this time. I make a list from the newspaper flyers and then check the other stores online. I follow my list pretty closely. This time I used my entire food stamp allotment, but I bought more than a month's supply of food. This will be the only food shopping I do for the month except for an odd item or two.

At one store I saved (according to them) 48%. I save on average about 35% to 50% of a total grocery bill doing this. Hamburger this time was the most expensive. I paid $4.79/lb for it. I paid $1.99 for chicken breasts, $1.29/lb (a little over my budget) for chicken drumsticks, $2.99/lb for pork roast, and picked up a 3 lb pak of bacon for $8.99. Occasionally I can find it for $2.49/lb, but that store hasn't put it on sale like that for a couple of months now. I got real butter for $1.99/lb, the margarine I usually use was $2/lb tub (usually $3.59/lb so I stocked up because it'll go high again and stay that way for a couple of months now), a lb of cod for $2.99, Philadelphia cream cheese for $1.50 each 8 oz pak, and jumbo Grade A eggs for $1.67/dz. I'd wager I saved about $60 to $70 or more per month shopping like this. And as I said, the soda at one store was buy 2 boxes and get 3 free.

I shopped at Albertson's, Safeway, Red Apple, Trader Joe's, QFC, Grocery Outlet, Winco, and picked up some toilet paper at a new store that just opened, can't remember the name now. I didn't go to Fred Meyer because they didn't have anything on sale I needed this month. I wanted to check out Minder Meats, but I can do that online, so I didn't stop there. Not sure I could afford anything there anyway.

What else do you need to know?

Old 04-07-2015, 05:43 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,112,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in WI View Post

EXACTLY!!!

That why others and I have calling bull**** on these Republicans who are slapping themselves on the back for stopping "welfare abuses" that are not happening and have never happened.

Think about it.

If they are so poor that they collect welfare, then how the **** are they going to qualify for and pay a mortgage on any house, with or without a backyard???

Obviously, they cannot.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
EXACTLY!!!

That why others and I have calling bull**** on these Republicans who are slapping themselves on the back for stopping "welfare abuses" that are not happening and have never happened.

Think about it.

If they are so poor that they collect welfare, then how the **** are they going to qualify for and pay a mortgage on any house, with or without a backyard???

Obviously, they cannot.
LOL..there was an audit. There were all those investigative articles where TANF money was traced to those various ATMs.

And Congress passed this law in 2012. President Obama signed it.
This was historic because TANF money has never been restricted.
And being this was historic I'm surprised (NOT) that the major MSM sites didn't have blaring articles on it.

And now all states are mandated to restrict TANF money or face penalties and withholding of Fed money. The states are using the Fed language because the Fed got comments from the states on what to ban and put together this language which the states will use and be consistent in all states.

Obviously you "missed" this. The Fed did not admit to any welfare abuse. They just said there were "inconsistencies" in how welfare money was being spent

That's the Dems for ya !!!!

But you go ahead and keep blaming the Republicans for a law signed by Obama.

And as far as "swimming pools" is concerned..ATM withdrawls were traced to various water parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies