Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 07:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Let's see a good old fashion Link for that....
I posted both the bill (2012 Middle Class Tax Relief) and the Fed Register with the wording about 3 times in this thread.

This was passed and signed in 2012 with a mandate for states to implement by 2014 but the Fed didn't get all their rules out until March 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:27 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,610,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
There actually is a Port of Kansas City, but it serves freight traffic only. Cruise ships to not make port calls there.
There is no Port of Kansas City Kansas , just a Port of Kansas City Missouri see below

Port of Kansas City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-05-2015, 07:51 PM

19,859 posts, read 12,147,585 times
Quote:
Let's see a good old fashion Link for that....
They already did, multiple times. Not sure how you missed it.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:53 PM

17,655 posts, read 17,769,149 times
Before food stamp cards, people would receive "commodities". As a kid, we received government issue butter, cheese, cereal (oatmeal or some cheap low flavor cereal), powdered milk, dry beans, and some canned vegetables. With food stamp cards, some are using or were using them for tattoos, ATM cash withdrawals at strip clubs, and other things not of the original intent. The original intent was to supplement their income to provide food for poor families. The intent was for things like eggs, milk, bread, cereal, vegetables, fruit, and meat. It wasn't intended for junk food (chips, cookies, etc), cigarettes, latest iPhone, Beats headphones by Dr Dre, beer, gin, whiskey, sodas, etc. Some states had it legal and able to withdraw cash from ATM using their EBT card. This made it so they could use the cash for anything they wanted, including illegal drugs.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:22 PM

947 posts, read 924,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The bill also prohibits welfare recipients from spending their benefits at certain types of businesses, including liquor stores, fortune tellers, swimming pools and cruise ships.
I can see the liquor stores and cruise ships, but not comfortable with the others.

Forbidding them from spending on fortune tellers might conflict with "Freedom of Religion" for people of certain religions.

As far as swimming pools, that could prevent the poor from having access to swimming lessons, which are healthy and can save lives. That would be sad.

Moreover, swimming and aquatic exercise are very healthy, and are particularly recommended for certain health conditions. The poor should not be prevented from using their benefits to engage in healthy exercise.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,225,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
This is just like when the Government issued those several thousand dollar checks to low income people some years ago. Most of them went out and bought rims for their cars !

Priorities, ya know !

Don
They must keep up appearances when they go to the supermarket and spend those food stamps.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:22 PM

511 posts, read 510,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
If I'm selling a rib dinner in my restaurant for $12 and I need $4 in groceries to make it, I'm making $4 less profit on every dinner than if Uncle Sam were gifting me those groceries.

The perishability of the groceries has nothing to do with anything. If I buy $4 worth of groceries for my rib special and no one comes in, I'm out $4 from my pocket. If, on the other hand, Uncle Sam gifted me the groceries, I can let them rot into dust and I'm not out anything at all.

What don't you understand? It's really not a complicated concept.
This is not what you originally posted, so of course, this new concept you've introduced is logical and easy to understand

You insinuated he was making a profit just due to using food stamps to buy food for his restaurant.

I pointed out that the food is perishable, that just because a restaurant needs food, that is not necessarily because they sold the prior food

Glad you got a clue...

Old 04-05-2015, 10:28 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,047,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
What's 30% of zero income?
Zero income = dead. Unless maybe you are a survivalist. In which case you certainly wouldn't need housing.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:31 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,434,053 times
If we get rid of all the poor people, there would be no-one serve us in min wage jobs. We need poor people, but some of the figure that they would rather get welfare then min wage. You see, if you get welfare or min wage job, your poor anyway. So it's a meter of preference, do you like your day free or do you like to keep busy.

Rasing min wage would not do anything you would just pay more out of pocket.

I would give people more money in foodstamps.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:33 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,172,563 times
Quote:
There is no Port of Kansas City Kansas , just a Port of Kansas City Missouri see below

Port of Kansas City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're splitting hairs.

Since you've obviously never been there, I'll fill you in: KC KS and KCMO are twin cities. From the confluence of the Kansas River and Missouri River northward, the MO River serves as the state line. South of the confluence, the state line runs due south along State Line Rd.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1162934,-94.6084743,13z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies