Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 07:01 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I see you have more than one account here on CD. I'm pretty sure that is a violation of TOS. That means terms of service. Have a nice day.
Incorrect, this is the only account I've ever had here on C-D. Any moderator can confirm that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:02 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,425 times
How can you misuse $25 a day to go on a $5,000-$9,000 cruise. $25 a day equals $9,125 a year. So, just default on payments for govt subsidized housing & get thrown out & live outdoors or in a homeless shelter to save up for the cruise? I see absurd things written about welfare, like a poem claiming people could buy a mansion with welfare cash.

I get public assistance of $25 a day. I have about 25 medical conditions some lifelong & some life-threatening. I doubt I will ever feel good. Wanna trade places with me? I also read it takes $2,000 of Federal govt pay to send someone a $700 check. Yep, administrators get 74% of the money.

Corporate welfare (in return for bribes) is the biggest drain on govt & they get rights to make us sick & kill us, too. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Instead of referring to this as banning, let's call it what the legislation does: a [long overdue] prohibition on the misuse of public assistance.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,255,658 times
Why not?

The precedent is there, Mrs. Obama has established pretty strict rules about how School Lunch money is to be spent and what foods can be served in that program.

Gov. Brownback and the Kansas legislature are certainly within their rights to impose restrictions in the programs for the needy that they administer.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:10 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,425 times
How about being born with major health problems? How much should these people be blamed for being permanently disabled? They're unproductive people who live off the sweat of the productive, but was being born that way a choice? Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
Poor =/= On Welfare

No one is demonizing the poor. They're demonizing unproductive people who live off the sweat of the productive.

There's no shame in being poor, but being a mooch is another story.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Accessing ATMs on cruise ships is NOT new.

California 2010..read the full article..$387,000 of CA TANF withdrawn in Hawaii hot tourist spots.

$69 million in California welfare money drawn out of state - latimes
Of the $1.5 million accessed in Florida, $13,109 was spent or withdrawn in South Beach, most of that at bars and restaurants along trendy Lincoln Road. More than $7,000 was withdrawn from ATMs a few hours north, at Walt Disney World.

The data also show $16,010 withdrawn from 14 cruise ships sailing from ports around the world — Long Beach, Rio de Janeiro, Beijing. Eight sail primarily from Miami.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
With limited resources coming in, which may not be enough to pay bills and incidentals, spending money on bank fees is not a good use of limited resources.
The monthly fee for a checking account is less that what it costs to cash ONE weekly paycheck at MoneyBox. Financially, it makes more sense to have a checking account, even if you have to settle for one with a monthly fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Free checking accounts (at least IME), usually require at least one direct deposit per month, or a minimum balance above that which a poor person can manage.
Are you claiming that no government benefits can be direct deposited? Here's an idea: get a job, even a menial part-time job, that offers direct deposit. The "extra" income won't hurt, either.

As far as minimum balances, my credit union requires a minimum balance of $5 in a savings acct, and there is no minimum balance for checking accounts.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:13 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
This is very true. The young woman was working part time and attending college with 2 children and Section 8 would have paid the whole rent. We did not rent to her in the end because of her spouse. The guy was jobless but had 2 newer cars for them and his phone was constantly ringing with him needing to meet people while we were doing the interview.
I don't believe you they would make the young girl pay a percentage of her income as rent.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
You're not making sense.

If you own a restaurant, there must be food on hand and it is perishable.

Just because he needs to buy groceries doesn't mean that is because the others were used thus he made a profit
He is using welfare benefits to buy food that will be cooked in his restaurant and served to customers.

If he is buying food FOR HIS RESTAURANT using food stamps, then his restaurant is avoiding the expense of purchasing food from a supplier. Thus, the reduction in food cost (at taxpayer expense) translates to increased profit.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:16 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I don't see a problem with the new law , but someone please tell me are the cruise ships moored at the Port of Kansas City Kansas or Wichita Kansas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
All states are putting cruise ships in their laws because that is the wording of the Fed bill mandating the change to TANF money.
Let's see a good old fashion Link for that....

Old 04-05-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I don't see a problem with the new law , but someone please tell me are the cruise ships moored at the Port of Kansas City Kansas or Wichita Kansas?
There actually is a Port of Kansas City, but it serves freight traffic only. Cruise ships to not make port calls there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies