Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 11:41 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
On this, I agree. It is an invasion of people's rights to drug test welfare recipients. If allowed, they always start intruding on the rights of maligned people and then they eventually work their way through the whole population.
(sighs)

No, it s not.

NO ONE is FORCING people to undergo a drug test.
It is a "if then" Scinario: "if you want money for nothing, then take e drug test."

It's a CHOICE, NOT a Rights violation.

Common, this is basic stuff here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 11:47 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Was there a spate of welfare spending on cruise ships? I did not know.
I didn't even know there were any cruise ships in Kansas.

Seriously though I think the government has the right to tell them how they can not use the money the tax payers of that state are force to provide for them.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:51 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
It makes you wonder what their real reason for doing it is, especially the transaction fees and low limits (effectively $20/day, since virtually no ATMs distribute $5 bills) for withdrawals.
Pray tell, what do welfare recipients need that is sold on a cash-only basis?

Old 04-05-2015, 12:30 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Because he is spending my tax dollars when he swipes that EBT card.

And to make matters worse, he's using my tax dollars to buy overpriced, unhealthy junk food. EBT cards should be used for staple items at grocery stores.

Instead of standing outside the store eating junk food, he ought to be inside the store working and earning a paycheck. That way, he can buy his own snacks and feel good knowing that he earned the money by doing honest work.
Perhaps you should take up cause against politicians, they are eating and living far better than most on your tax dollars too.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:18 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
GOOD IDEA.

Many poor people got that way by buying what they want and then begging for what they need. That habit usually cannot be changed.

Evidently, complete freedom is just more than some people can handle.
actually, most poor people didn't get that way, they were born that way and never taught/shown how to handle money. generational poverty and ignorance. it's too bad republicans can't find better ways to influence the behavior of the "wretched" poor than passing arbitrary laws. maybe more money for education? finance classes? jobs? keep taking the crumbs from the poor and folks in red states are going to experience more and more crime.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:28 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
If one is on welfare they should have their voting rights suspended.

I'm tired of people making excuses for welfare abusers. I'm sure this cruise ship ban will be overturned as a violation of civil rights or some other nonense.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:40 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
If one is on welfare they should have their voting rights suspended.
Are you retarded?

If one is a citizen, WTF does it matter if they are on welfare to vote?! Should homeless vets not be able to vote as well? Should seniors relying on social welfare programs to help ends meet be denied their voting rights? Do you not realize how many of the older "greatest generation" rely on social welfare to survive?

Economic status should have NOTHING to do with eligibility to vote for U.S. citizens. Economic status is already playing TOO MUCH of a role in how VOTES are manipulated/bought!

Old 04-05-2015, 01:58 AM

511 posts, read 509,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
At the check out stand one day in a chinese store in Cupertino, I was behind a man who bought boxes of uncovered meat and animal bones, which he paid for with food stamps. As he loaded them inot his new car, the clerk rolled her eyes and stated that he owns a restaurant.

So glad to see my tax dollars make a profit for others, but don't know whether the marijuana growers will accept them.
If he's on food stamps, his restaurant is not likely making much of a profit

Old 04-05-2015, 03:08 AM

400 posts, read 575,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Some section 8 people pay $0 toward rent.
This is very true. The young woman was working part time and attending college with 2 children and Section 8 would have paid the whole rent. We did not rent to her in the end because of her spouse. The guy was jobless but had 2 newer cars for them and his phone was constantly ringing with him needing to meet people while we were doing the interview.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:36 AM

400 posts, read 575,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
A few years back liberal Minnesota's welfare benefits were so great they were attracting welfare folk from Chicago and Gary Indiana.

The Minnesota legislature wanted to make MN less attractive so they proposed a bill that new out of state people would receive the lower of two amounts..........the state's benefits from where they came from or MN's.......for the first 6 months.
( after 6 months they could receive MN's rate)

It got dropped after lawyers stated they would file a lawsuit because it would........." violate one's freedom to travel "

Amazing !
Our county has a law on the books about 90 days residence rule before applying for assistance. Had to make that law because we were getting car loads of families coming from out of area with no income and requesting emergency housing and cash. Emergency family shelters were over booked by out of state welfare applicants, so they created a rule that one must apply for assistance and be approved first to get help from the shelter. The crooks worked this into a scam. People would pay for fake, forged landlord statements with real landlord names and vender numbers. My name popped up on one, but had my husband's vender number and that's how I learned of this scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies