Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 11:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
Liberals always say..........." the fraud is so small, it would cost more to police welfare "

Really ?

A poor MN county proposed hiring a full time fraud investigator . The county commissioners were reluctant at first but agreed to a one year trial basis.
Full time investigator with a good salary and full benefits.

Soon, the local paper's court section had a constant lengthy list of welfare cheaters and the amount of their court ordered restitution $$$$$$$$$$$.

At the end of one year, the restitution ordered was more than double the total salary and benefit cost to the county.

It was explained that the real benefit was cheaters changing their ways for fear of being exposed.
The administration though has finally seen the light.
In 2012 the law got changed regarding TANF money and all states had to comply by 2014.(But the USG dragged their feed and final rules just came out in 3/2015).
It was buried in the Middle Class Tax Relief bill.

But the Dems were pretty quiet about letting the press know.

Here's the Federal Register info about it along with the rules that the states must implement.
The FedGov has the words "cruise ship" in it so all states will have those words as well.
https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...d-practices-to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 11:53 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,955,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
That is certainly a way to look at it. Thanks for offering up an explanation. I cant see anyone on welfare and living like that NOT wanting to get away from it for a while, if the opportinity presented itself.

I personally wouldnt begrudge someone on food stamps an occasional beer either.

Makes me wonder why there is no propaganda demonizing wealthy corporations and bankers, tbh.
Emphasis added.

Apparently you don't read many threads on this board.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:13 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,002,186 times
In other words, lets browbeat poor people so that middle class taxpayers focus on them instead of multinational corporations and the government sending jobs overseas.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:23 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,145,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post

Is being on welfare a felony?

Oddly I would not be surprised if there’s a strong correlation between using social services and criminal behavior.

The only way to motivate people who abuse the system is shame. Example make the EBT card the size of an iPad mini

Old 04-05-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
In other words, lets browbeat poor people so that middle class taxpayers focus on them instead of multinational corporations and the government sending jobs overseas.
Obama signed a law in 2012 that mandated changes to TANF money.

The USG cannot forbid a company from shipping their jobs to countries where the labor costs are lower.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Oddly I would not be surprised if there’s a strong correlation between using social services and criminal behavior.

The only way to motivate people who abuse the system is shame. Example make the EBT card the size of an iPad mini
Shame was the old food stamp method of paper coupons.
They got rid of that and went to a debit card so that the poor wouldn't be stigmatized.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:39 PM

25,960 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Crying over the $25.00 a day limit on cash. We live in KS. Three adults in one household and we use less than $25 a month in cash. You have to ask yourself, what do they need the cash for? Well, actually having lived among them in the state of KS, I know. Welfare weekend, the drug traffic ran all through the night and you couldn't expect to sleep until after 2:00 AM.

Ever see what a lot of people and their children look like as they walk next to their cart filled with soda, frozen pizza and Little Debbies?

Once there was a major layoff in the area and you could immediately tell the difference between those that were laid off and those that were deadbeats just by looking at their carts!

I used to see them with envelopes filled with cash, more than I have ever seen in one place. They used to come to the door toward the end of the month and ask for gas/money. I told one "We don't have any gasoline." She said "Don't you have a lawnmower?" I said "Yes, electric." and she said "Well, could you give me $5.00 then?" Ah, "No!"

Old 04-05-2015, 01:44 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post

Shame won't work and will only hurt the people who are capable of such a feeling. They probably need the help.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
I read that food stamp forum someone linked here and saw a thread about using food stamps on vacation. If you are on food stamps you shouldn't go on a vacation.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:21 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
Never Used Food "Stamps" on vacation, but when I was fostering I would get SNAP for my Foster child(ren).

I just used it at the store. swipe the SNAP card, then Cashier would Re-Balance the amount, then I would swipe my Credit Card.

Before the state got Direct Deposit EFT of my Monthly Foster Board fees, Mileage, Day Care cost etc (All the reimbursement costs), they would put the reimbursement on a separate part of the SNAP card, that I could get cash from the ATM from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies