Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

I nor anyone else has said that Puerto Ricans can't keep their culture and language. This topic is about paying them disability just because they don't know English and that's just plain wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 06:45 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I nor anyone else has said that Puerto Ricans can't keep their culture and language. This topic is about paying them disability just because they don't know English and that's just plain wrong.
You haven't proven that they are paid "just because they don't know English." Again, not knowing English might hurt in BFE, Montana but it doesn't really matter in Puerto Rico. Same way any number of ethnic groups used to live in their own communities in US cities.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:46 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
SDDI has "blossomed" by over 250% in the course of 10 years.

Is America really that sick ?

More have gone on SSDI then entered the job market in that time span.

And the fund will be broke next year..there's no more money left.
That is a mainland problem. A couple of hundred Puerto Ricans are not going to change it.

And we should have seen it coming...and gotten ahead of the problem.

But again nothing to do with PR.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
SDDI has "blossomed" by over 250% in the course of 10 years.

Is America really that sick ?

More have gone on SSDI then entered the job market in that time span.

And the fund will be broke next year..there's no more money left.
Oh no no no.

No US Government "fund" will EVER be broke. That is impossible. The United States monetarily sovereign.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:56 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Oh no no no.

No US Government "fund" will EVER be broke. That is impossible. The United States monetarily sovereign.
I think the proper way of explaining it is "the US government will stop paying the money form the fund because the Republicans stopped moving numbers from one place to another, and decided those numbers mattered".

You can probably come up with a better description though. I've had a long day at work.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:08 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
You haven't proven that they are paid "just because they don't know English." Again, not knowing English might hurt in BFE, Montana but it doesn't really matter in Puerto Rico. Same way any number of ethnic groups used to live in their own communities in US cities.
I don't need to prove it. I am not the one who posted the article about it. Take it up with them if you think it is false. Let em speak all the Espanol they want but we shouldn't be handing out disability checks to them just because they don't know English.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:18 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't need to prove it. I am not the one who posted the article about it. Take it up with them if you think it is false. Let em speak all the Espanol they want but we shouldn't be handing out disability checks to them just because they don't know English.
We aren't. Why do you think that is the case? Because the OP said so?

Old 04-07-2015, 07:28 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
The US took PR against their will and restructured their economy in a way that made it exceedingly difficult for Puerto Rico to function as an independent entity. It's your fault they're a burden to you.

The US has an illustrious history of invading countries willy-nilly and then cutting them loose when things get costly, and then they have the nerve to be upset when people from these countries turn into millitants and terrorists.

Why should they be forced to learn English? Puerto Rico doesn't border ANY English speaking territories, and of those Puerto Ricans who decided to move to the states, most of them can speak English once they get to the mainland. Furthermore, they never asked to be part of the US anyway.
Uh; not just the US. England and France cut loose several colonies because they were money pits.

South Korea was a colony of Japan but; they're doing VERY well in 2015, so being cut loose ain't a bad thing.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
We aren't. Why do you think that is the case? Because the OP said so?
No, the OIG report said so.

And now SS is going to make a rule change regarding this.

http://oig.ssa.gov/sites/default/fil...ry%2013062.pdf

Old 04-07-2015, 08:17 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's what I say in my posts. I hate diversity and multiculturalism, if it's going to cause the balkanization of the U.S. As long as they assimilate, and reflect the Constitutional values of this nation, then I have no reason to worry. I only worry because so many of the new arrivals are all about, what can this country do for me, instead of what can I do to be a contributing American? That's why, I'm so against the Hispanization of America. I came here from Puerto Rico to escape living in "prison" because crime is so high there you have to have fences all around your property and iron burglar bars installed on ALL potential entries into your home. And we're getting those same poor Hispanics moving here, that cause us legit, working ones to fear for our safety and property. Anyone that is pro illegal immigration does NOT understand what it's like to live in Latin America, and does not understand why I feel the way I do, and attack me for it because they don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Obviously you don't know any Puerto Ricans or ever been to Puerto Rico. I'm not surprised the least bit. More than half of the people in Puerto Rico under the age of 50 is at least functional in English. It's a complete myth that Puerto Rico is as Spanish speaking like Cuba or the Dominican Republic. It is not, and hasn't been for about two generations. The only people that are guaranteed to not speak a single word of English in PR are the WWII and Korean War generation.

And as I said before, you have a problem with Puerto Ricans not speaking English to our standard, go and say something to the veterans that have bled on the US flag in World War I, II, Korea, and Vietnam. Yes, Oldglory, we were beside you lily white Americans in EVERY SINGLE WAR the US participated in since World War I, including members of my family. We've far more than earned our right to speak our language and keep our culture. Oh, and, you're welcome
Something changed in your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies