Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 03:51 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times

Advertisements

Looks like Australias antivaxxers are going to have to choose between cash, and vaccinations.

Australia to stop welfare cash of anti-vaccine parents - BBC News

Kinda tears me. The anti-vaccination crowd endangers us all, but government control this way is bad as well.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:03 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
They've opened the door to forced medical treatment in exchange for welfare. What requirements are they going to put on welfare next, sterilization for people who can't afford their children? The article starts of talking about how much money they would save, they'd save more by having fewer welfare children to begin with.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
"He who has the money gets to make the rules"

Old 04-12-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL, too bad you aren't part of the group with the real money.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL, too bad you aren't part of the group with the real money.
Never insinuated I was.

The government has the money the people want.
Just do their bidding and they will give it to you.

Australia is just making a more drastic rule than others.
Our government does it too just not to the extent that Australia is...yet.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Never insinuated I was.

The government has the money the people want.
Just do their bidding and they will give it to you.

Australia is just making a more drastic rule than others.
Our government does it too just not to the extent that Australia is...yet.
Shrug. is the yet a good or bad thing? I'm thinking...bad. While I despise anti-vaxxers.....I dont think we should force the choice between vaccination, and food to be a good thing.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:06 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Brings to light the darkness.

They always redact in black.

"The judge tells you, “Look, the other side, your opponents in this case, have filed documents with me. These documents are at the heart of their argument. I can’t allow you to read the documents. I can only give you access to heavily redacted versions. You’ll have to do the best you can. I have read the full documents. Your opponents, of course, know every word of those documents. But you don’t. And you won’t. Good luck. Limp along as well as you can.”

"Last Election Day, the people of Maui County voted to halt all local GMO and pesticide experimentation being carried out by Monsanto and Dow."

https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2...maui-gmo-case/

Old 04-12-2015, 07:18 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Keep in mind that welfare has a bit of a different meaning in Australia. This is a benefit that primarily helps the middle class afford childcare for 2 income families.

I have no problem with it. Anything to help protect those who are too young to be vaccinated, have a legitimate medical reason to not vaccinate, or for whom vaccination does not work as well as those who are immunocompromised due to autoimmune disease, cancer treatment, blood disease, a transplanted organ or bone marrow/stem cell transplant, or others who are particularly at risk. "Waaaah big pharma" or "My choice!" are not excuses and make the choice for people like me who are at risk.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Keep in mind that welfare has a bit of a different meaning in Australia. This is a benefit that primarily helps the middle class afford childcare for 2 income families.

I have no problem with it. Anything to help protect those who are too young to be vaccinated, have a legitimate medical reason to not vaccinate, or for whom vaccination does not work as well as those who are immunocompromised due to autoimmune disease, cancer treatment, blood disease, a transplanted organ or bone marrow/stem cell transplant, or others who are particularly at risk. "Waaaah big pharma" or "My choice!" are not excuses and make the choice for people like me who are at risk.
Exactly! Here is a story I got on my email feed last night:
No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au
"Prime Minister Tony *Abbott and Social Services Minister Scott Morrison will today announce the historic reforms, which mean parents who fail to immunise their children will no longer be paid the $200-a-week childcare benefit, the $7500-a-year childcare rebate or the $726 Family Tax Benefit A annual supplement.

The combined childcare and welfare payments at risk could amount to up to $30,000 a year for a family with two young children. The changes will come into effect from January 1, 2016."

This is similar to the US denying the child care tax credit and the dependent child deduction.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:55 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Looks like Australias antivaxxers are going to have to choose between cash, and vaccinations.

Australia to stop welfare cash of anti-vaccine parents - BBC News

Kinda tears me. The anti-vaccination crowd endangers us all, but government control this way is bad as well.
Americans don't get to insist that parents must accede to administration of just any foreign mixture of substances, that a neurotic decides on whim, injected invasively into the individual temples of their children--or they don't receive the monies they paid into a compulsory social safety net. That level of statist sociopathy is reserved for Commonwealth of Nations countries like Australia.

Last edited by mm4; 04-12-2015 at 08:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies