Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 AM

232 posts, read 237,567 times

Advertisements

The one great thing about vaccines is it screws up those not smart enough to think for themselves to see their government is covering the butt of big pharma so they can continue to make money off of harming people.Less stupid people = better world.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:10 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
My response is similar to Mathguy's response to another poster, below:

************************************************** *****************************

I will point out to the readership that while the previous poster's link has no date, mine does (April 6) and while his is an online paper of dubious veracity mine is from a daily paper in Salt Lake City. The PP's link says 19 kids while mine says 47; his says they were all vaccinated while mine indicates otherwise. His contains this outright lie: "Officials said all of the children who have been diagnosed were vaccinated against the illness." Mine has a quote from the health dept. stating otherwise.

One of my biggest issue's with the internet. It is a wonderful resource for research but can be used as a giant soapbox for people out to falsely disseminate the craziest conspiracy theories imaginable.

On one side of this vaccination debate I see Jenny McCarthy, Jenny McCarthy has a nice rack and she was great in Baywatch. On the other side of this debate, the absolute vast majority of medical professionals from around the world.

Even as a guy who really loves a nice rack on a woman, when it comes to the issue of healthcare, I'm siding with the folks with the medical degrees.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post
The one great thing about vaccines is it screws up those not smart enough to think for themselves to see their government is covering the butt of big pharma so they can continue to make money off of harming people.Less stupid people = better world.
Stupid people dying off = better world for all others.

Quote:

Right, it was so much better when tens of thousands of people were dying each year from diseases like measles and whooping cough, when every kid knew what an iron lung was. DAMN YOU BIG PHARMA! DAMN YOU BIG GOVERNMENT! Why couldn't you have left us in peace with our colloidal silver, our leeches and bloodletting and our absurdly high doses of Vitamin C, they would have worked...eventually.

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That is your opinion. If you believe that vaccines are the best way to protect yourself from disease, by all means, get them. I don't share your view. I don't believe that vaccines are the best way to take care of my health. I do that via other means such as nutrition. I think that it's wrong for the government to try and force their way on everyone. I believe that is an example of the government overstepping it's bounds in a major way. Like I said earlier, you do not have the right to be free from disease. Even if everyone on the planet vaccinated, you would still be exposed to disease.

What social contract? I think it's you and those who insist that everyone get vaccinated who are paranoid. You're the one who is allowing your paranoia of disease to try and force people to get vaccinated, or else. Taking care of one's health via nutrition is not quackery, by the way.
It's quackery when you expect that to work for someone who is immunocompromised. I KNOW vaccines are the best way to protect yourself from disease. HOWEVER, due to my existing set of health challenges, vaccines are not effective on me. Other people CANNOT get vaccines for various legitimate medical reasons (allergies, transplants, diseases of the blood and immune system). These people are in a set who are significantly more likely to develop complications due to preventable childhood disease.

Should I trust quackery or should I trust my oncologist who has warned me that catching the measles could kill me?

Do you know people who suffer from complications from preventable childhood illnesses? Before vaccines were developed, a neighbor was rendered deaf as a result of measles when he was 3. An uncle has permanent brain damage that has made it impossible for him to work. Maybe you don't remember, but my grandparents do - including the child they lost when my grandmother developed measles while pregnant.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Doesn't matter if its SOOOO SAFEEEE and keeps his daughters cancer free then lets make it mandatory! He is a hypocrite and dictator JUST LIKE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:22 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's quackery when you expect that to work for someone who is immunocompromised. I KNOW vaccines are the best way to protect yourself from disease. HOWEVER, due to my existing set of health challenges, vaccines are not effective on me. Other people CANNOT get vaccines for various legitimate medical reasons (allergies, transplants, diseases of the blood and immune system). These people are in a set who are significantly more likely to develop complications due to preventable childhood disease.

Should I trust quackery or should I trust my oncologist who has warned me that catching the measles could kill me?

Do you know people who suffer from complications from preventable childhood illnesses? Before vaccines were developed, a neighbor was rendered deaf as a result of measles when he was 3. An uncle has permanent brain damage that has made it impossible for him to work. Maybe you don't remember, but my grandparents do - including the child they lost when my grandmother developed measles while pregnant.
Most people vaccinate. Why worry about the tiny amount of people who don't? You can't control everyone.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

And that's the problem. Its the same reason why companies fire a top-notch systems manager only to see everything fall apart after he's gone. "Do we really need this guy, he makes an awful lot of money and he doesn't really do anything, I mean nothing is broken, we could probably hire a guy for half the money to do the same job."

Because we're so far removed from that era, especially for the younger generation, people who grew up without any real notion of some of these various diseases, people have gotten complacent. I was born in the 80's, measles, whooping cough, rubella, polio, none of those meant anything to me, I went and got vaccinated like was required for school, I got vaccinated in the military, I never even gave a second thought to, its just something that you did.

People my age and younger, unless they've specifically studied those diseases, have no understanding of just how bad they were and how insanely contagious a disease like measles is.

People don't value vaccines because most of those thumping their chests against them have no cognition of just how bad things can be. They ramble on about the dangers of cancer and this and that and all sorts of scientifically unfounded rubbish but never consider the actual possibility that not vaccinating could put their child's life at risk far, far sooner. Do you really want to play Russian Roulette with your kids life on the basis of some idiotic conspiracy theories.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Most people vaccinate. Why worry about the tiny amount of people who don't? You can't control everyone.

Because there's certain thresholds needed to maintain herd immunity. The more people that choose to forgo vaccinations, the more herd immunity breaks down, the more diseases that have been largely eradicated find reservoirs to create a foothold in. The more these diseases infect people and end up killing the most vulnerable among us.

If you're healthy and have no medical reasoning for not being vaccinated, then you have no good reason for not being vaccinated.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:30 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
well technically not govt. control I mean your asking for free money from the government.

its like attaching vaccination to govt drivers license or something. No one said you had to use govt roads people.

the only acceptable reason not to be vaccinated is an allergy. a real one. any other rationale is dangerous to society and should be eliminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Looks like Australias antivaxxers are going to have to choose between cash, and vaccinations.

Australia to stop welfare cash of anti-vaccine parents - BBC News

Kinda tears me. The anti-vaccination crowd endangers us all, but government control this way is bad as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies