Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Mandatory Seat Belt Laws??
Yes, I support mandatory seatbelt lws 68 68.00%
No, I don't support mandatory seatbelt laws 32 32.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:14 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times

Advertisements

I think this is a very good 'Current Events' topic with all that's going on that shouldn't be as 'divisive' as some of the other topics. Hoping to start some good debate to see how people feel about the seat belt laws. With all of the corruption being highlighted currently in Law Enforcement, do you feel Police should be able to stop you for not wearing your seat belt alone?

Thoughts?

Will wait to debate since I'm the OP.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:30 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Hell yes...
Seatbelt laws work... as have all the other active and passive safety innovations brought about... I'm not for driverless cars ... but that's another issue ...

And should I be able to stop for it... well the debate isn't with Leo... like all laws.. it's legislative. The cost to all of us for non seat belt use is huge... go research insurance industry stats... we pay for those that don't wear them and kill ..maim.. injure.. and create chaos for themselves and other innocent people.

Should a policeman be able to stop you for failing to wear one... you betcha.. and write the duckett is for failing to wear approved safety restraint .. it really should read.. I'm too stupid to be in public ticket... which is what many minor laws seem to be to me...

Duis routinely forget to put their seatbelts on...divided attention issue for being drunk or stoned.. so its a great reason to stop someone at two am leaving a bar... or stoner pad...don't you think?

All the corruption?.. you mean like the mayor of Baltimore telling the police to stand down.. that kind of corruption?... or people believing Darren Wilson was corrupt.. like you .. reaching faulty conclusions not based in fact .. that kind of corruption.?..if you want to ask simple questions and have quality debate then keep the thread clean... without predisposed agenda... unless you want it to go in many directions

Old 05-01-2015, 07:41 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
I believe in seat belt laws, those things save lives. However, I believe it should be a secondary law, which means you can't be stopped for not wearing a seat belt alone.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:42 AM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
No one likes being told what to do and it is sad that we need laws to dictate common sense. Wearing a seatbelt is common sense. In the event of an accident the belts work in conjunction with the airbags and they keep you from doing a face plant on the steering wheel or having your head go through the windshield. Belts can also keep you in the seat before the accident when you are jamming on the brakes or trying to avoid the crash. Belts also keep you restrained from being tossed about or out of the vehicle.

Belts are common sense just like turning your lights on in the dark or when the weather gets gloomy. Massachusetts just put in place a controversial law when your wipers are on your headlights need to be or you can get a fine and points on your insurance.

I don't think Police will waste their time pulling over people who are not wearing their belts unless kids are involved but if you get pulled over for something else and are not belted then you get a ticket for that too.

Seatbelt laws, headlight laws, cell phone laws are all part of the nanny state that is legislating common sense but too many people are stupid and sadly we need these laws to try and make the roads safer for all.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:52 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Hell yes...
Seatbelt laws work... as have all the other active and passive safety innovations brought about... I'm not for driverless cars ... but that's another issue ...

And should I be able to stop for it... well the debate isn't with Leo... like all laws.. it's legislative. The cost to all of us for non seat belt use is huge... go research insurance industry stats... we pay for those that don't wear them and kill ..maim.. injure.. and create chaos for themselves and other innocent people.

Should a policeman be able to stop you for failing to wear one... you betcha.. and write the duckett is for failing to wear approved safety restraint .. it really should read.. I'm too stupid to be in public ticket... which is what many minor laws seem to be to me...

Duis routinely forget to put their seatbelts on...divided attention issue for being drunk or stoned.. so its a great reason to stop someone at two am leaving a bar... or stoner pad...don't you think?

All the corruption?.. you mean like the mayor of Baltimore telling the police to stand down.. that kind of corruption?... or people believing Darren Wilson was corrupt.. like you .. reaching faulty conclusions not based in fact .. that kind of corruption.?..if you want to ask simple questions and have quality debate then keep the thread clean... without predisposed agenda... unless you want it to go in many directions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
No one likes being told what to do and it is sad that we need laws to dictate common sense. Wearing a seatbelt is common sense. In the event of an accident the belts work in conjunction with the airbags and they keep you from doing a face plant on the steering wheel or having your head go through the windshield. Belts can also keep you in the seat before the accident when you are jamming on the brakes or trying to avoid the crash. Belts also keep you restrained from being tossed about or out of the vehicle.

Belts are common sense just like turning your lights on in the dark or when the weather gets gloomy. Massachusetts just put in place a controversial law when your wipers are on your headlights need to be or you can get a fine and points on your insurance.

I don't think Police will waste their time pulling over people who are not wearing their belts unless kids are involved but if you get pulled over for something else and are not belted then you get a ticket for that too.

Seatbelt laws, headlight laws, cell phone laws are all part of the nanny state that is legislating common sense but too many people are stupid and sadly we need these laws to try and make the roads safer for all.

Do you support banning motorcycles?

Old 05-01-2015, 07:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
At the end of 2012 I went in a ditch and hit a tree..........I tried to avoid hitting a deer.

I was in a 3/4ton pick-up.

What hurt me was the seatbelt and air bag.

That left me with a diaphragmatic paralysis........a permanent disability.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:03 AM

950 posts, read 924,690 times
I support optional for anyone 18 years +
Mandatory for minors

However, only an adult fool would drive w/o seatbelt fastened.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Optional.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:34 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
They should be optional and while I agree everyone should always wear them but for some reason I did not have mine on when I approached a toll booth going into a tunnel to NYC and I got a $130 ticket.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:36 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Motorcycles generally involved in accidents kill the operator... if they die... vehicles which are heavier and when involved in accidents with other drivers potentially seriously injure them.

As to seatbelts and airbags causing fatal or dehabilitating injuries... it does occur but risk vs reward vastly outweighs the risk

Primary law... as is in many states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies