Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 12:57 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
When two homosexual men or two homosexual women can procreate,
I will believe its normal.
the technology to do that is coming soon

Old 05-04-2015, 01:00 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
No, basic biology disagrees ... if homosexuality was adopted universally, the human race would quickly become extinct.
Excuse me, but just how do we get from legalizing SSM to homosexuality being adopted universally????

There are a few steps missing in that progression, including whether anyone - besides you, of course - is suggesting it.

And actually, you know nothing about basic biology, if you think that homosexuality cannot be accounted for within current evolutionary and biological thought.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:05 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,048,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
One of the biggest barriers to LGBT rights in America is the fact the two sides disagree over what homosexuality even is.

In the eyes of many conservatives, homosexuality is a lifestyle choice. Because it's a choice, they believe its their right to discriminate against those who make that choice. To them, marriage equality isn't equality, its a special privilege granted to those who choose a relationship other than that of the norm. To them, the homosexual could simply marry someone of the opposite gender and would be equal. The thing is, if their definition of homosexuality was correct, they would have some very valid points.

However, science tells us something different. It tells us that sexual orientation is an immutable, unchangeable trait. It tells us that it isn't any different from gender or race. Sexual orientation, like gender identity, is at the core of who a person is. Even if a gay man never has a relationship with another man he is still gay. Therefore, refusing to serve them or allow them to marry because of an immutable characteristic is in fact discrimination on the same level as race or gender discrimination. Conversion therapy does not work because you cannot change an immutable characteristic. Even ex-gay "success stories" will usually admit they still experience some degree of unwanted same-sex attraction. If the conservatives were right and it was a choice, why would that be?

Until conservatives are willing to accept the science that says sexual orientation is an immutable trait, they will not support LGBT rights. They will cling to the idea that its a choice to justify their discrimination and disgust.
It's both/either/or. Some are born with it, some make the choice (more specifically those who consider themselves bisexual).

Old 05-04-2015, 02:16 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, that is exactly what they expect! They offer no real reason, however, why gay people should make such a heroic self sacrifice - except "my god thinks *you* should protect my sensibilities".
Mmmm. Fundamentalist religious people , certainly, have their issues with homosexual lifestyle. They are the headline grabbing , loud , other end of the spectrum, opposite the militant LGBT types. As a Christian , myself, I'm not "offended", in general, by homosexuals. I have had cause to be a bit less than amicable with particular individuals, who are homosexual. But not because of my sensibilities. Because they invaded my operating space, and threw spanners in the gears.

Barring such things, I don't care at all what homosexuals sexual habits are, who they fall in love with, or any other aspect of life. My God does not say I should hate homosexuals, nor does He require I attempt to "save" them. I don't make enemies out of people who have done me no wrong. I've never , intentionally, offended a gay person, or refused any something I would, readily,offer aanyone else, just because they might have happened to be gay.

The only offense I have ever felt for gays, is when offense was the intent. Never, simply because of just being gay. My Faith is not offended by homosexuals, out of hand, nor are my "sensibilities". And, I'm not a minority in this view. There are way more of us than you might be thinking. I totally understand how you would be offended by some thumper, waving a Bible in your grill and quoting the Old Testament. Or worse, harassing your partner thus. That is the situation that offended, and, blisteringly enraged, me, my partner being harassed. But I didn't judge all lesbians by the actions of one small group. My sister is gay, and she was as shocked and offended by what happened , almost, as I was.

Let's give blanket statements a rest. Not everyone who has Faith is the enemy, just as not all gay people are mine. Acceptance and tolerance is a two way street.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:27 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Bull, it is sexual attraction, not a state of mind. Boy, some of you straight people are the most ignorant people and narrow minded. Is your being straight just your state of mind?
Pedofiles have a sensory attraction for minors. So now we gonna legalize marriage for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
It is sexual attraction, not an urge. Do you expect gay people to be celebate for the sake of you straight people and your religion?
No. I'm all for you boys carrying on. It's what boys do. It's an inherent rite of passage for multitudes of boys become men. To that I say, 'So what?' Enjoy yourselves. Move on. But don't tear down civilization because you want to go public. There's enough guys to go around, no need to publicize. Find a dark basement in Amsterdam.

Have a party...

RSVP, couples welcome, no kids, no women. Well, may a efager hag or two. Bring yer own towel rod.

Last edited by metroxian; 05-04-2015 at 02:38 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 02:52 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,330,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroxian View Post
Pedofiles have a sensory attraction for minors. So now we gonna legalize marriage for them
Where do folks come up with this stuff?

We don't allow heterosexual pedophile or otherwise to marry minors. Same sex marriage is about consenting ADULTS! The same goes for the other supercilious arguments about marrying animals or whatever.

As for the polygamy thing... well there's a "traditional" marriage that is in all those holy books isn't it?

Old 05-04-2015, 02:54 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
As do you.

You were tempted to engage in heterosexual conduct, were you not? And you chose to act on those temptations, did you not? And then you chose to "engage in a full-blown lifestyle centered around (your) sexual activities" did you not?
With regards to the sexuality, yes, any sex act I engage in is by my own choice. Unless I am being raped, nobody is forcing me to engage in any sex acts. And unless I choose to engage in a sex act, I will not be engaging in a sex act regardless of the temptations and desire that I may feel to do so.

Both homosexual and heterosexual conduct are a choice.

As far as a full blown lifestyle centered around my sexual activities, as strange as it may sound to you, that is not how my lifestyle is organized. I do not identify myself by my sexual conduct, nor do I go around broadcasting my sexual obsessions (as I do not believe I actually have any) or trying to rudely smear my sexual identity in other people's faces, the way that many homosexuals are notorious for doing.

I guess I knew a few heterosexual males when I was younger who ran around to the clubs sexing it up all the time and making sure everyone knew it. These people were obnoxious and not infrequently offensive with their conduct and their marketing of their sexual behavior. These heterosexuals centered their lifestyles around their sexual exploits, and yes, it was certainly by their own choice. However, the number of heterosexuals that I have known that did this was not very large, and as far as I am aware, all of these people grew out of it as they matured past their post-adolescence party mode phase.

Of course many if not most homosexuals primary source of identification is their sexual associations, which they feel some strange need to broadcast and flaunt in a manner that they may regard as subtle, but which many others perceive as obnoxious and offensive. Nobody forces them to do this, and it is clearly not because of any sort of genetic imperative that they behave this way.

The tend to do this all their lives and it is by their own choice that they do it.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:09 PM

554 posts, read 608,985 times
Quote:
One of the biggest barriers to LGBT rights in America is the fact the two sides disagree over what homosexuality even is.

In the eyes of many conservatives, homosexuality is a lifestyle choice. Because it's a choice, they believe its their right to discriminate against those who make that choice. To them, marriage equality isn't equality, its a special privilege granted to those who choose a relationship other than that of the norm. To them, the homosexual could simply marry someone of the opposite gender and would be equal. The thing is, if their definition of homosexuality was correct, they would have some very valid points.

However, science tells us something different. It tells us that sexual orientation is an immutable, unchangeable trait. It tells us that it isn't any different from gender or race. Sexual orientation, like gender identity, is at the core of who a person is. Even if a gay man never has a relationship with another man he is still gay. Therefore, refusing to serve them or allow them to marry because of an immutable characteristic is in fact discrimination on the same level as race or gender discrimination. Conversion therapy does not work because you cannot change an immutable characteristic. Even ex-gay "success stories" will usually admit they still experience some degree of unwanted same-sex attraction. If the conservatives were right and it was a choice, why would that be?

Until conservatives are willing to accept the science that says sexual orientation is an immutable trait, they will not support LGBT rights. They will cling to the idea that its a choice to justify their discrimination and disgust.
Religious lunatics don't accept Darwin. They don't know a chromosome from a fruit fly. They're not interested in science, or logic. So they'll never accept biological arguments about the basis of same-sex attraction. You're wasting your time.

I don't argue or debate with religionists anymore. Their mind is closed. Life goes on.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:22 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Conversion therapy does not work because you cannot change an immutable characteristic.
Michael Jackson converted to white.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:30 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:

Going with your view that being gay is not a choice, but rather people who were born to it, then why can't marriage just be for men and women who were born to be procreate? The fact that gays were not born to seek relationships where they could procreate would be another fundamental difference between traditional marriage and gay partnerships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies