Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 07:15 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,979,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You missed the point. Again from post #1:

The DA is just one cog in a big system, as are the guard unions. I'm not saying that the prison guard unions are wholly and solely responsible for a rising incarceration rate, but that they have an impact.
You just cannot let go of your conspiracy theory can you. Is logic foreign to you, I don't think so, you have shown you are smarter than that, just let it go and move on to more important real issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 07:22 AM

38,650 posts, read 26,448,411 times
Quote:
I thought it was interesting and actually smart that Hillary Clinton opened her campaign by addressing the issue of US incarceration rates. We all know the stats. A black male is more likely to be behind bars than in college; we have more than double the incarceration rate of Iran, and so forth.
Hillary Clinton: Time to "end the era of mass incarceration" - CBS News

What Hillary did not mention was the role of public sector unions in this matter. Prison guards, like teachers, cops, and other government sector employees have become heavily unionized over the last 40 years. The main job of any union is to negotiate a contract, or collective bargaining agreement (CBA) between the employer and their members. In the case of public sector unions, this brings about an inherent conflict of interest because the 'employer' is a politician whom the union may well have just helped to elect,

In the case of prison guard unions, this conflict becomes especially pernicious because the unions interest lies in more prisoners, more guards, and thus more dues. This is exactly what has happened in California:
Prison guards, union contract: Prison guards' video links new contract to campaign donations - latimes

The increasing incarceration rate has gone hand in hand with unionization, just as with declining education performance, and just as increasing police misconduct.

I wonder what Hillary Clinton would have to say about this? When she announced her Senate candidacy in Nov 1999, right by her side was Randi Weingarten, president of a teachers' union. I'm sure she will get just as much support from prison guard unions as she has from teachers' unions. She is not taking questions right now anyway, and will have nothing to say anytime soon, but she will be cashing those prison guard union checks that she is sure to get between now and Nov. 2016.

"we've built 20 new prisons in the time we've added one campus to the UC system, and we've grossly over-stuffed them with staggering numbers of drug offenders and the mentally ill, who might be better dealt with in alternative settings."

I agree.

Drug-offenders and the mentally ill shouldn't be staffing any college and they should be dealt with in an alternative setting.

Maybe we could send them to prison where they belong.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:24 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,402,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You just cannot let go of your conspiracy theory can you. Is logic foreign to you, I don't think so, you have shown you are smarter than that, just let it go and move on to more important real issues.
You can't come up with a response other than name-calling ('conspiracy theory') can you? I suppose that is an improvement on chirping crickets, but not by much.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:26 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,979,866 times
Quote:
You can't come up with a response other than name-calling ('conspiracy theory') can you? I suppose that is an improvement on chirping crickets, but not by much.
Name calling, no one called you any names but obviously what I said hit a nerve, good maybe what I said will Eventually sink in, or maybe not. I did not actually think I would listen to your childish video did you?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,857,905 times
Quote:
I thought it was interesting and actually smart that Hillary Clinton opened her campaign by addressing the issue of US incarceration rates. We all know the stats. A black male is more likely to be behind bars than in college; we have more than double the incarceration rate of Iran, and so forth.
Hillary Clinton: Time to "end the era of mass incarceration" - CBS News

What Hillary did not mention was the role of public sector unions in this matter. Prison guards, like teachers, cops, and other government sector employees have become heavily unionized over the last 40 years. The main job of any union is to negotiate a contract, or collective bargaining agreement (CBA) between the employer and their members. In the case of public sector unions, this brings about an inherent conflict of interest because the 'employer' is a politician whom the union may well have just helped to elect,

In the case of prison guard unions, this conflict becomes especially pernicious because the unions interest lies in more prisoners, more guards, and thus more dues. This is exactly what has happened in California:
Prison guards, union contract: Prison guards' video links new contract to campaign donations - latimes

The increasing incarceration rate has gone hand in hand with unionization, just as with declining education performance, and just as increasing police misconduct.

I wonder what Hillary Clinton would have to say about this? When she announced her Senate candidacy in Nov 1999, right by her side was Randi Weingarten, president of a teachers' union. I'm sure she will get just as much support from prison guard unions as she has from teachers' unions. She is not taking questions right now anyway, and will have nothing to say anytime soon, but she will be cashing those prison guard union checks that she is sure to get between now and Nov. 2016.
I am not knowledgeable about prison unions so won't comment on that, but there has not been an increase in unionization in the country in either private sector (which many prisons fall under as prisons have been heavily outsourced to the private market) or the public sector. Public sector jobs have decreased substantially as has public union membership.

Also want to note that I have worked in government both as an employee and contractor/consultant for many years. I have never been in a public union or a private union. The majority of management and executive level government employees are not in unions. When collective bargaining occurs, it happens between the lay government workers (clerks, clerical folks, mechanics, maintenance, police officers, firefighters, etc.) and their "Management" or "Executive" level. Not with the state or municipal/city elected officials in most cases (unless there are unionized employees in those positions).

In my experience, most people are very ignorant when it comes to public unions. I keep seeing, especially around here that unionization is rising when that is completely untrue. One of the reasons for a stalemate in wages is because of the decrease of unions in regards to middle class earning potential. And FWIW, in many states, especially in the south, they do not even have public unions. They are more of a midwest and NE phenomenon (I'm sure they are out west too but I primarily work in the SE, Midwest, and NE - you rarely see public unions in the SE).

Another falsehood that you mentioned, I bolded above. Black men are not more likely to go to prison than college and it is false that there are more young black men in prison than in college. The entire black prison population, including older, long prison sentence offenders and black women is around 2 milliohn persons. there are over 1.5 million young black men between the ages of 18 and 25 in college/university right now.

Myth - More Black Men in Jail Than College
(note, the information on black males in college vs prison was based upon an old study performed in 2002. The article cites is from 2007 and discusses "Hoodwinked" and the actual numbers of young black men in college during that time period. When reviewing the 2002 study it was noted that over 1000 colleges/universities, including HBCU institutions which are majority black, were not included in the 2002 tally of figures for black males in college. The author was actually a doctoral student at an HBCU that was not included in 2001 so he was left out of the tally as well).

Old 05-14-2015, 08:02 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,782,733 times
So, doing some research into this, there are 62,000 prison guards in unions in the entire country. First off, 62,000 is not a very big number.
Of that 62,000 though, 31,000 of those are in California alone, where the numbers have exploded from 10,000 a few decades ago to the current 31,000. In fact, ever example from all of our articles seems to be from California.
Something I could not easily find... which states actually have prison guard unions, and outside of California have we seen any of the patterns there that you are talking about?

Old 05-14-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I am not knowledgeable about prison unions so won't comment on that, but there has not been an increase in unionization in the country in either private sector (which many prisons fall under as prisons have been heavily outsourced to the private market) or the public sector. Public sector jobs have decreased substantially as has public union membership.

Also want to note that I have worked in government both as an employee and contractor/consultant for many years. I have never been in a public union or a private union. The majority of management and executive level government employees are not in unions. When collective bargaining occurs, it happens between the lay government workers (clerks, clerical folks, mechanics, maintenance, police officers, firefighters, etc.) and their "Management" or "Executive" level. Not with the state or municipal/city elected officials in most cases (unless there are unionized employees in those positions).

In my experience, most people are very ignorant when it comes to public unions. I keep seeing, especially around here that unionization is rising when that is completely untrue. One of the reasons for a stalemate in wages is because of the decrease of unions in regards to middle class earning potential. And FWIW, in many states, especially in the south, they do not even have public unions. They are more of a midwest and NE phenomenon (I'm sure they are out west too but I primarily work in the SE, Midwest, and NE - you rarely see public unions in the SE).

Another falsehood that you mentioned, I bolded above. Black men are not more likely to go to prison than college and it is false that there are more young black men in prison than in college. The entire black prison population, including older, long prison sentence offenders and black women is around 2 milliohn persons. there are over 1.5 million young black men between the ages of 18 and 25 in college/university right now.

Myth - More Black Men in Jail Than College

(note, the information on black males in college vs prison was based upon an old study performed in 2002. The article cites is from 2007 and discusses "Hoodwinked" and the actual numbers of young black men in college during that time period. When reviewing the 2002 study it was noted that over 1000 colleges/universities, including HBCU institutions which are majority black, were not included in the 2002 tally of figures for black males in college. The author was actually a doctoral student at an HBCU that was not included in 2001 so he was left out of the tally as well).
OK fine I will retract the statement about young black men in college vs. prison. It's just a claim I've seen made in various places, and I should have been more careful in factchecking it. The point is that, as Hillary Clinton stated, US incarceration rates are high, and that young black men are disproportionately affected. Can we agree on that?

This thread is about unionization of prison guards, so it is unfortunate you had nothing to say about that.

It is absolutely wrong that unionization is not on the rise in the public sector. It's hard for me to fathom how anyone could claim otherwise.
Union membership rate in private industry was 6.6 percent in 2014; public sector 35.7 percent : The Economics Daily: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Union membership rate in the private sector is now 6.6%, and in the public sector 35.7%. 50 years ago the numbers were just about reversed.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:28 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,857,905 times
Quote:
OK fine I will retract the statement about young black men in college vs. prison. It's just a claim I've seen made in various places, and I should have been more careful in factchecking it. The point is that, as Hillary Clinton stated, US incarceration rates are high, and that young black men are disproportionately affected. Can we agree on that?

This thread is about unionization of prison guards, so it is unfortunate you had nothing to say about that.

It is absolutely wrong that unionization is not on the rise in the public sector. It's hard for me to fathom how anyone could claim otherwise.
Union membership rate in private industry was 6.6 percent in 2014; public sector 35.7 percent : The Economics Daily: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Union membership rate in the private sector is now 6.6%, and in the public sector 35.7%. 50 years ago the numbers were just about reversed.
Public sector union membership is down due to cuts of public employees. There aren't as many public employees as there used to be.

Many duties formerly performed by the government where they would have union membership have been contracted out. Things like trash service, customer service, maintenance, janitorial work, etc. Even IT/Information Technology has been contracted out. I work in government contracting and know that in the industry I work in the worforce for housing authorities has dwindle to historic levels. In this industry, which had a large amount of public union workers, we are even contracting out management of public housing, social services for public housing and section 8 residents, and information lines. In many authorities there are very few public employees eligible for union membership left - usually only maintenance and low level clerks/clerical workers. Management - finance, administration, executive directors, etc., are not eligible for membership in the public unions.

Unions Decline in Public Sector

So even though there are more public unions themselves, membership levels in those unions have fallen due to not having as many public employees anymore.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:31 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,445,609 times
Hey, OP, what's happened to the crime rate? Going up? Incarceration rates are gowing up, anything unusual happening to crime rates?

Across the board.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Hey, OP, what's happened to the crime rate? Going up? Incarceration rates are gowing up, anything unusual happening to crime rates?

Across the board.
See the quote in post #1. According to the professor quoted, incarceration rates were going up, while the crime rate was not. From what I have been reading, crime rates in general have been going down.
US crime rate at lowest point in decades. Why America is safer now. - CSMonitor.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies