Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:11 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
BS I know "liberal" women who don't believe in abortion at all.
If you go to a pro-life event the overwhelming number of people there are women. The idea that women do not support restrictions is a false idea.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:11 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
Thank God... which mentally healthy person would kill a baby after 20 weeks (5 months) pregnancy?!
I support abortion rights, but in general I agree. If the abortion is just a "convenience" abortion of a woman that doesn't want a child, yes, 5 months should be more than enough time to decide. That includes rape cases.

However, what about cases where a fetus is diagnosed with significant or severe medical conditions? Downs, physical abnormalities, Spina Bifeda, hydroencyphilitis(sp?), etc? And what if those conditions are not detected until some months after that? The mother/parents should have the choice to terminate the pregnancy, rather than being sentenced by the state to raise a special needs child they may not be prepared or capable of.

Unless, of course, you are volunteering to adopt every special needs child the mother/parent would decide to put up for adoption that they might otherwise abort? Are you financially, physically and mentally willing and able to do so?

Old 05-14-2015, 09:14 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Oh, and most of the (few) survivors end up brain damaged and requiring special education or medical care for the rest of their lives.

They aren't viable in the practical use of the word.

And, yes, despite my absolutist stance. I agree that a woman who hasn't made up her mind after five months and has an abortion for reasons other than serious birth defect or risk to her life isn't the most responsible or sensible person. That being said, it is her body and her choice on if she wants to terminate the pregnancy.
So, are people who contract a disease or are in an accident and not "viable in the practical use of the word" no longer people or have no human value?

Old 05-14-2015, 09:15 AM

57,242 posts, read 26,186,773 times
It's unfortunate that they waste their time on things that are going no where and divide the parties rather than doing something useful like tax reform. Sure looks like this is just pandering to their right wing constituency once again. I doubt this makes it through the senate.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:18 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It's unfortunate that they waste their time on things that are going no where and divide the parties rather than doing something useful like tax reform. Sure looks like this is just pandering to their right wing constituency once again. I doubt this makes it through the senate.
Completely agree here. Boehner knows it has zero chances of becoming law and even if it did, it would do nothing.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:18 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Agreed. And if it does pass the senate, I hope Obama would be smart enough to veto it. We don't need a federal government of ever increasing power meddling in medical decisions.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:21 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Although I approve of this bill overall, I think further exceptions are needed for fetuses who (1) have SEVERE diseases/deformities that would mean either NO real quality of life and/or would result in severe lifelong pain for the child, (2) for fetuses who would be stillborn, and (3) for those who might live for not more than a year after birth (and in all cases, whether to have an abortion would be left to the parents, of course).

Old 05-14-2015, 09:41 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,127,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I support abortion rights, but in general I agree. If the abortion is just a "convenience" abortion of a woman that doesn't want a child, yes, 5 months should be more than enough time to decide. That includes rape cases.

However, what about cases where a fetus is diagnosed with significant or severe medical conditions? Downs, physical abnormalities, Spina Bifeda, hydroencyphilitis(sp?), etc? And what if those conditions are not detected until some months after that? The mother/parents should have the choice to terminate the pregnancy, rather than being sentenced by the state to raise a special needs child they may not be prepared or capable of.

Unless, of course, you are volunteering to adopt every special needs child the mother/parent would decide to put up for adoption that they might otherwise abort? Are you financially, physically and mentally willing and able to do so?
You addressed my concern: severe special needs. I know it's easy for those on the outside to say that that's not an issue, but being around special needs children (my sister has very mild spina bifida), it is so saddening to hearing parents of special needs kids and the myriad of problems that ensues. The divorce rate is astronomical among parents with special needs, and the other non special needs kids often have problems because the kid with special needs gets all the attention, time, and money.

And the most depressing part is hearing after the countless hours spent on a kid with special needs, often times when that kid grows up, they do not take basic care of themselves (you got me as to why they don't, but it's very common among adults with spina bifida), which leads to numerous health problems like bladder failure. I'm just so thankful that my sister has such a mild case that she can avoid a lot of those problems.

Abortion should always be an option for those parents who are faced with the possibility of a severe special needs kid.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:02 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Or so you would like to think.
It is not what I like to think, it is what they say. The GOP women opposed parts of the bill with passion.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:26 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,933,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
BS I know "liberal" women who don't believe in abortion at all.
BS? You are agreeing with him, or don't you know that? He said some from both sides and he is correct, I personally know several Conservative women that have had and still believe in a woman's right to abortion. Not all Cons believe in banning all abortions no matter how much you want it to be so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies