Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 03:24 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I would also point out that the demographics of college attendees at the Ivy League shows bias against Jews past all reasonable doubt. They did it and it worked. Now what?
Definitely in the past, but I don't think the same can be said now. Harvard undergrad is 25% Jewish and the graduate schools are 63% Jewish. Yale is 28% Jewish. Columbia 27% and Cornell 21%. At least according to Hillel. If they are trying to discriminate, they are not doing a very good job of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 03:41 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Discrimination is just an excuse. Harvard is a private University.

With that said, Harvard’s president, A. Lawrence Lowell, warned that the “Jewish invasion” would “ruin the college.” He wanted a cap: 15 percent. That happened almost 100 years ago.

The common defense of the status quo today is that many Asian-American applicants do well on tests but lack intangible qualities like originality or leadership. True or not true, it really doesn't matter. A private University has every right to decide what the University should look like.

My theory about this whole "race" thing is pretty simple. As a mixed White/Japanese/Hawaiian girl, I think culture is more important than race. Harvard has a very unique culture, the school should maintain that culture.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:27 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Definitely in the past, but I don't think the same can be said now. Harvard undergrad is 25% Jewish and the graduate schools are 63% Jewish. Yale is 28% Jewish. Columbia 27% and Cornell 21%. At least according to Hillel. If they are trying to discriminate, they are not doing a very good job of it.
I work at another "Ivy League" university ... the University of Pennsylvania (arguably the first university in the United States). I don't have the exact figures in front of me but about 20% of students here are Jewish, and I'm told 25% of the graduate students are. I would hasten to add that "Jewish" includes some Latino Jews, West Asian and Middle Eastern Jews, and yes even a few African American Jews.

It seems to me that many of our Chinese and Indian students are not from the United States (i.e. "Chinese American" or "South Asian American") but are visitors from China and India. If these young people have had advantages in college preparation should American kids be bumped out of the way because these offspring of privileged Chinese and Indians earned higher test scores???

I'm just thinking out loud here.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:42 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Hillel is off by factors greater than 2. Sometimes even more. See the Unz arguments; Jews are still likely underrepresented in the prestigious Institutions if you go by intellectual power. Geographic however not true.

Note the schools are careful not to measure this....their prime defense is lack of knowledge.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:44 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They're going to lose because the top schools factor in a whole lot more that SAT scores....which they definitely should. I don't view someone that has spent 4-5 years prepping for the SAT to get a 1600 or so as being a better candidate than someone with a slightly lower score.

However, it IS an interesting bias complaint and under the sheer stupidity that is disparate impact theory which is often the crux of the claim for people like Sharpton, they have a case.
We didn't have SAT prep classes when I took it and the Asians still kicked ass.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I work at another "Ivy League" university ... the University of Pennsylvania (arguably the first university in the United States). I don't have the exact figures in front of me but about 20% of students here are Jewish, and I'm told 25% of the graduate students are. I would hasten to add that "Jewish" includes some Latino Jews, West Asian and Middle Eastern Jews, and yes even a few African American Jews.

It seems to me that many of our Chinese and Indian students are not from the United States (i.e. "Chinese American" or "South Asian American") but are visitors from China and India. If these young people have had advantages in college preparation should American kids be bumped out of the way because these offspring of privileged Chinese and Indians earned higher test scores???

I'm just thinking out loud here.
The link I posted has UPenn on it. Sorry I missed it. 26% for each, undergrad and grad.

I don't know about the whole "foreigner" deal. I wasn't aware that this is a problem. I guess it does add something to the school to have some people from foreign countries attend, but only up to a point. When it comes down to it, we should worry about educating our own kids before we start taking kids from foreign countries.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Hillel is off by factors greater than 2. Sometimes even more. See the Unz arguments; Jews are still likely underrepresented in the prestigious Institutions if you go by intellectual power. Geographic however not true.

Note the schools are careful not to measure this....their prime defense is lack of knowledge.
OK. Maybe. It just doesn't seem that way. Being of Jewish heritage, myself, and living in an area with a lot of Jews, there are a ton of Jewish Ivy League grads in my circle of friends and coworkers. I know, it's anecdotal.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I had the inverse experience in my town back in the mid 80's. We DID have SAT prep classes, but we didn't have any Asians.

Now the same town is 20% Asian.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 05-17-2015 at 06:03 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 05:46 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
I had the inverse experience in my town back in the mid 80's. We DID have SAT prep classes, but we didn't have any Asians.

Now the same town is 20% Asian.

...thesre's still SAT classes.
The universities have a separate quota for international students. So it has nothing to do with Asian Americans no matter how many students are from China or India.

It is true, however, most graduate students in engineering and science are from Asia. Maybe it is not too obvious at the topmost schools, but when you go to XXX State University, over 70% graduate students and 90% PhD students are from Asian countries.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:53 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I did not take SAT but I did take GRE in China.
The Quantitative part was way too easy. I used half of the allocated time and got a perfect score. Among all the Chinese students I know of, the lowest score I heard of is 790/800 (old scale).

The verbal part is certainly very difficult for non-native speakers. But some of my Chinese friends used a few months to memorize 7,000 “commonly tested" words from a book, and they all scored 600+. A friend of mine made it 780/800.
Chinese students are very good at memorizing words or abstract objects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies