Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 04:20 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times

Advertisements

Why do people care what people on food stamps eat anyways? You want people on food stamps to eat healthy? Ever go shopping and see how Expensive it is to eat veggies & fruits? How about Seafood? or Meat? There seems to be a jealousy here where regular folk can't afford filet mingnon and settle for Sloppy Joes while people on food stamps can buy a filet mingnon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 04:33 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
The average distance between customers on a Check Our Line is 3-4 feet.

Sorry to hear of your close distance vision difficulties and awareness of your immediate surroundings.

Ever been in a 7-11 especially?

Not a majority I would hope but enough that you can easily observe the abuses.
What makes you think they're abuses? If they are government approved items, then they are not cheating. I am not condoning buying soft drinks and other unhealthful items in the supermarket if someone needs food assistance, but if they are authorized items, then there's nothing we can do about it.

If you read my last post, you can see I don't support cheaters and, in fact, feel some resentment. But if someone buys a birthday cake, it's not abuse. If a family goes into a KFC and uses an EBT card, it's not abuse. Maybe it's the child's birthday and that's the only time the family has been out to dinner in a year. We don't know that, do we?

Heck, I don't like it any more than you, but griping about food purchased with an EBT card would be like complaining about legal tax deductions I think are wrong. I shared a home with a multi-millionaire who paid a lower percentage than I did because most of his income was from capital gains. He wasn't cheating if all of his deductions and loopholes were legal. It didn't make me feel any better, but the system favors the wealthy.

I think you might be talking about people who buy cigarettes and beer with their own money and then use a SNAP EBT card to buy milk, eggs and other grocery items. Yes, that's abuse in a way, but it's not illegal. It drives me nuts too, but I try my best not to look at what other people are buying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Why do people care what people on food stamps eat anyways? You want people on food stamps to eat healthy? Ever go shopping and see how Expensive it is to eat veggies & fruits? How about Seafood? or Meat? There seems to be a jealousy here where regular folk can't afford filet mingnon and settle for Sloppy Joes while people on food stamps can buy a filet mingnon!
Some of the posts express those feelings, but I think the majority of people just want those who are on government assistance to be responsible.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

again with the false meme that conservatives are trying to cut programs. How about they rework the programs to benefit those who truly need it. Welfare has become a revolving door for many who could otherwise lift themselves up, but choose to let others pay their way.

EXP: I had a friend, years ago, who had siblings from several different fathers. His mom was on EVERY welfare program available; section 8 housing, food stamps, bi-monthly support checks...etc. My friend literally had a new pair of kicks for every day of the month. His mom drove a brand new Cadi and the entire family had wads of large in their pockets.

maybe you'd have to hang out in South Central to understand.
I don't want to post too much and get cited for hijacking a thread. However, you quoted me so I'd like to respond. You should read all of my posts on this thread. You were taking my remark out of content. If I recall, I was responding to a post that blamed "liberals" for Welfare fraud.

I do agree there is a lot of fraud and we need better regulations. However, if you see people so blatantly abusing SNAP and similar programs, why not report them?

I can't really respond well to the rest. IMO, if someone has 30 new pairs of sneakers and wads of cash as you claim, then all that money is coming from somewhere and I'm guessing it's not the Federal Government. All income has to be reported, so something is very wrong with your post. I'm not saying you're lying, maybe just misinformed or exaggerating. If not, then maybe your friend (or someone in his family) was a drug dealer or pimp?

Last edited by justNancy; 05-23-2015 at 05:18 PM..

Old 05-23-2015, 06:55 PM

493 posts, read 514,937 times
I work as a cashier at a major retailer and you cannot even begin to fathom the amount of people who come through my checkout line buying junk food with their food stamp money. It disgusts me.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:01 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
It is too bad my renter can't buy beer with her SNAP benefits. Poor people need to drink too. It ain't easy being poor. They probably need to drink more than the rest of us.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It is too bad my renter can't buy beer with her SNAP benefits. Poor people need to drink too. It ain't easy being poor. They probably need to drink more than the rest of us.
You deserve a rep just because your post is so funny. Maybe you were only joking, but people have actually said to me "So what if they smoke or drink a lot? Their lives are miserable, so they need a little pick-me-up."

To me a pick-me-up would be job training and a career. It's difficult to lift oneself out of poverty, but it's not impossible. Sometimes people need that extra push, however. That's why I keep saying I'm on the fence on this issue. There are so many people who can't afford decent shelter and a good, hot meal and there are full time laborers earning minimum wage who cannot pay their bills. However, there are many who, if they were suddenly without government money, would find a way to get by. I know of a few cases in which the government checks stopped and the people got jobs.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:46 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You deserve a rep just because your post is so funny. Maybe you were only joking, but people have actually said to me "So what if they smoke or drink a lot? Their lives are miserable, so they need a little pick-me-up."

To me a pick-me-up would be job training and a career. It's difficult to lift oneself out of poverty, but it's not impossible. Sometimes people need that extra push, however. That's why I keep saying I'm on the fence on this issue. There are so many people who can't afford decent shelter and a good, hot meal and there are full time laborers earning minimum wage who cannot pay their bills. However, there are many who, if they were suddenly without government money, would find a way to get by. I know of a few cases in which the government checks stopped and the people got jobs.
Let's face it; a lot of these SNAP beneficiaries are women waiting for the right man to come around.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Let's face it; a lot of these SNAP beneficiaries are women waiting for the right man to come around.

Not worth a reply. I'm not a SNAP beneficiary but I'm a woman, and the only man I ever waited for was a taxi driver.

By the way, I just read the SNAP requirements starting with assets. As I've written before, I am not very familiar with the program.

"Households may have $2,250 in countable resources, such as a bank account, or $3,250 in countable resources if at least one person is age 60 or older, or is disabled."

Doesn't sound as if people getting SNAP benefits are loaded.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:45 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
you mean your son's girlfriend? You could probably kick her down a six pack for the lobster you claim she buys you with her food stamps

Old 05-24-2015, 12:10 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I work as a cashier at a major retailer and you cannot even begin to fathom the amount of people who come through my checkout line buying junk food with their food stamp money. It disgusts me.
And I've seen people in grocery stores who I know are not on food stamps because they either live near me or I know where they work and they are pushing carts around loaded with junk food. And I'm sure you have seen the same.

So, do we hold people on SNAP to a different standard than people who buy junk food with their own money even though their food choices are increasing their chances of getting a condition like diabetes which is costly to treat and drives up the healthcare for everyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies