Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 09:22 PM

511 posts, read 510,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh my from the Daily Caller, now that is a fine source for factual information Clearly whoever wrote this does not know the difference between SNAP (food stamp benefits) and cash assistance. All benefits come on the same card, there is no rule against buying shoes, yes even poor people wear shoes. An EBT card with a cash benefit is like your bank debit card, it is accepted almost anywhere.

And as far as liquor stores, I worked with some low income women who would got a whopping $383 cash benefit for themselves and two kids, and they would go to liquor stores, but not to buy booze or cigarettes, they would buy a pack of gum and get $20 cash back because there was no cash withdrawl fee as there would have been in a bank.

As far as food, unless you are homeless and have no way to cook meals and get a special kind of SNAP card that allows 'to go' meals, you can't buy any prepared food- none at all; no subway, no KFC, no Taco Bell. Look up the rules yourself.

And by the way, It's always a good idea to check your data for accuracy rather than just do a cut and paste
Wow! you squashed all these embellishments with just one swipe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 10:04 PM

934 posts, read 596,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Actually we start feasting in the last week because you have to spend the allotment by the end of the month or lose it. Of course it does not really matter since my fridge and pantry is always well stocked.

Lobster sounds good, even better than steak and snapper.
SNAP doesnt give you enoiugh to have a well stocked pantry and be able to buy lobster, steak and red snapper.

Unless you guys are committing fraud and gaming the system

Old 05-18-2015, 10:18 PM

42,872 posts, read 26,399,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
SNAP doesnt give you enoiugh to have a well stocked pantry and be able to buy lobster, steak and red snapper.

Unless you guys are committing fraud and gaming the system
Read back through his posts, he claims his son and his son's family are living with he and his wife and he is bragging about all the food they are getting from the kids snap benefits. What he fails to realize is that if he and his wife are sharing meals with their son, that is a violation of SNAP rules. The only way that you can get benefits without counting the income of all members of the household is if you prepare and eat meals separately..but oh well - I guess some folks think breaking the law is funny

Old 05-18-2015, 10:28 PM

511 posts, read 510,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Read back through his posts, he claims his son and his son's family are living with he and his wife and he is bragging about all the food they are getting from the kids snap benefits. What he fails to realize is that if he and his wife are sharing meals with their son, that is a violation of SNAP rules. The only way that you can get benefits without counting the income of all members of the household is if you prepare and eat meals separately..but oh well - I guess some folks think breaking the law is funny
I think his breaking the law is supposidly to make snap recipients appear as trailer trash. This might be an imaginary family so who knows really

Last edited by MrsApt; 05-18-2015 at 10:52 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 10:48 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,925,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post

I've been using food stamps long enough to know that anything left on the EBT card does roll over to the next month, and the month after that...

Maybe she has a mistaken belief or things are different in different areas. All I know is she starts buying a lot of good food when she thinks she has to spend it or lose it.

Last edited by whogo; 05-18-2015 at 11:25 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 11:02 PM

7,544 posts, read 11,596,827 times
Republican want these people to eat healthy food healthy food is not cheap it is pretty $$$. they need to raise the money they get each month by $200 if they want them to eat healthy. Here in Texas one person gets like $125 a month and 2 people get like $175 to $185. There is no way in hell you can go to the grocery store and buy health for $30 a week try more like $60 to $90 a week for one person.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:19 PM

42,872 posts, read 26,399,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
I think his breaking the law is supposidly to make snap recipients appear as trailer trash. This might be an imaginary family so who knows really
BINGO

Old 05-18-2015, 11:26 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,925,720 times
Lobster tomorrow!

Old 05-18-2015, 11:37 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,436,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Using my money to pay for stuff I will snoop away.
Just how is this done? Do you have such good eyesight that you can tell if it's a credit or debit card or SNAP card? I watch people swiping their cards all the time, not being nosy, just because they're doing it in front of me, and I have no idea what card their using. Or do you get real close and peer over their shoulder real creepy like?

Old 05-18-2015, 11:42 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,436,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Walker and the other bastards in Wisconsin have a passed bill banning "luxury" items (Like ketchup, and canned pork & beans) from SNAP.

Addicting Info – Wisconsin GOP Passes Bill Banning Poor People From Buying Shellfish, Potatoes And Ketchup

The list of “disallowed” foods, which you can view here, also includes the following:

Cranberry sauce and pie filling. (Poor people can forget about making dessert for Thanksgiving dinner.)
Creamed vegetables
Baked beans
Pickles
Pork and beans
Frozen veggies that come in packages featuring pasta, nuts, rice, cheese, or meats
French fries and hash browns
Sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss, and fresh mozzarella, shredded and sliced cheeses (except American cheese of course), cheese food, spreads, and products. Even Kosher cheese is banned unless you apply to get a specific check for it which basically could identify who the poor Jewish people are.
Canned peas and green beans
Albacore tuna, red salmon, and fish fillets
Bagels, pita bread, English muffins
White rice and wild rice
Taco shells
Almond, rice, goat, and soy milk.
Brown eggs and any eggs produced by cage-free or free range chickens, which basically helps corporate chicken farms
Several kinds of infant food
Anything in bulk
Anything organic or natural
red and yellow potatoes

Basically, Wisconsin Republicans are making it more difficult for poor people to buy food, let alone enjoy the food they eat.
That's not what it says in the bill itself

3. "Recipient" means an individual who is eligible for and receiving benefits
2under the food stamp program.
3 (b) 1. The department shall require that, of the benefits amount used by a
4recipient in a month to purchase food, not less than 67 percent is used to purchase
5only any of the following foods:
6 a. Authorized foods on the list published by the department under s. 253.06 (9).
7 b. Beef, pork, chicken, and fish, whether an authorized food on the list
8published under s. 253.06 (9) or not.
9 c. Fresh produce and white potatoes, including fresh, frozen, and canned,
10whether an authorized food on the list published under s. 253.06 (9) or not.
11 2. The department shall publish on the department's Internet site a current list
12of the foods for which a recipient must use at least 67 percent of the benefits amount
13that the recipient uses in a month.
14 3. The department shall prohibit the use of benefits to purchase crab, lobster,
15shrimp, or any other shellfish.
16 (c) To facilitate compliance with the requirements under par. (b), the
17department may authorize retail suppliers to swipe food stamp benefit cards before
18items that are being purchased are scanned or checked out.
19 (d) From the appropriation under s. 20.435 (4) (cm), the department shall
20reimburse retail and warehouse suppliers in this state for their initial
21implementation costs related to compliance with the food limitation requirements
22under par. (b).
23 (e) 1. Except as provided in subd. 2., the department shall implement the
24requirements under par. (b) and the authorization under par. (c) no later than the

That's stuff they have to buy, not stuff they can't buy.
Wisconsin Legislature: AB177: Bill Text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies