Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 12:00 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,453,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
He did own up to it. He said he was sorry and that his actions were wrong. Which, btw, is FAR more than what Lena Dunham has done in light of her own admission to being a sexual predator.

I never said the lame ass excuse of it "bringing them closer to God" was valid, but at least Josh is showing some remorse and says he learned from this experience (he justifies it as an opportunity to make him more faithful.. I think it's a PR shtick but that's my opinion). Again, his attempt to show remorse and say he is a changed and "better" man is FAR better than the way Lena Dunham reacted.

They were both juvenile sexual predators. Does a 14 year old have more knowledge of what is right/wrong compared to a 7 year old? Yes, but they are both still CHILDREN. Minors. Juveniles. Not adults. Not mature. Both still children. Doesn't excuse their behavior at all but it also doesn't make one worse than the other. They both molested their sibling(s)!!
he should bring himself closer to god and find a high bridge to jump off

Old 05-25-2015, 12:00 PM

797 posts, read 1,752,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
When you raise a hormone filled teenage boy in an environment where any form of sexual fulfillment outside marriage is considered a sin this is what happens. Not that it excuses him being an abuser, I was raised in a similarly strict environment and didn't do that. Just saying that human have urges that are natural, not shameful. It only makes sense to give people an outlet for those urges that minimizes damage to anyone. Reminds me of the Catholic church expecting hormone filled men to never have a sexual outlet for their entire life and then being surprised that they take out their urges on the only people they have private access to.

Also, growing up in a conservative Christian household I can vouch for the fact that women are taught to be passive and put up with whatever abuse they receive. Women are taught to be ashamed of their sexuality and generally get blamed for any unwanted sexual advances. I had an aunt that married a man that raped her! If we forget where we've been as a society we will end up back in the gutter.
I know many that grew up in conservative Christian households and none acted the way Josh did. I really feel that is a huge generalization.

I do agree that Josh's up upbringing is likely what contributed to what he did, but I don't think it's fair to say, "when you're raised like that, this is what happens...."

Old 05-25-2015, 12:04 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,693,778 times
Quote:
I know many that grew up in coservative Christian households and none acted the way Josh did. I really feel that is a huge generalization.

I do agree that Josh's up upbringing is likely what contributed to what he did, but I don't think it's fair to say, "when you're raised like that, this is what happens...."
Agree with your first point. The second, theres no way to know if his upbringing actually is what made him do that at 14. Possible, yes but I wouldnt say likely. People can grow up in normal loving homes and do bad things.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:08 PM

797 posts, read 1,752,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Agree with your first point. The second, theres no way to know if his upbringing actually is what made him do that at 14. Possible, yes but I wouldnt say likely. People can grow up in normal loving homes and do bad things.
very true

Old 05-25-2015, 12:12 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Josh Duggar is the new Lena Dunham. Both perverted child molesters. The only difference is when confronted with what they did, Lena told people to f**k off and Josh owned up to it.
No, the difference is Lena Dunham was a prepubescent 7 year old. That's a major difference.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:29 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times
Quote:
He did own up to it. He said he was sorry and that his actions were wrong. Which, btw, is FAR more than what Lena Dunham has done in light of her own admission to being a sexual predator.

I never said the lame ass excuse of it "bringing them closer to God" was valid, but at least Josh is showing some remorse and says he learned from this experience (he justifies it as an opportunity to make him more faithful.. I think it's a PR shtick but that's my opinion). Again, his attempt to show remorse and say he is a changed and "better" man is FAR better than the way Lena Dunham reacted.

They were both juvenile sexual predators. Does a 14 year old have more knowledge of what is right/wrong compared to a 7 year old? Yes, but they are both still CHILDREN. Minors. Juveniles. Not adults. Not mature. Both still children. Doesn't excuse their behavior at all but it also doesn't make one worse than the other. They both molested their sibling(s)!!
It's the same as talking to a stone wall. . . those who hate the Duggars will continually find fault, no matter what the situation was, is, or will be. They believe that if just one member makes a mistake, then the entire family is to be tarred and feathered for eternity.

Doesn't matter how remorseful Josh is, doesn't matter how much he's reformed. . . because in the Dugger-haters' eyes and minds, they're all trash. Have to feel sorry for those filled with such venom.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:30 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:

A 14 year old is an adult for purposes of knowing right from wrong with respect to touching his sisters. So he was not a child, and he should be classified with adult pedophiles with respect to recidivism.

That, and given his fundamentalist upbringing, would lead a rational person to conclude that Josh Duggar should not be left alone with minors, including his own kids.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
According to what most all are agreeing with, age doesnt make a difference for a child molester.
I don't think a 14 year old can even be charged as a "child molester" because he is still considered a child himself. I'm sure it varies by state, but legally, it might have been different if he was 16, not 14. Not defending him, just saying. I also don't think it makes any difference if he was taller than JB, or whatever. He wasn't an adult. Kids brains don't fully form until they are 25. Not defending, just pointing out that a manly body is not the same as being an adult man.

I'd never heard about Lena Dunham until this week.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
It's the same as talking to a stone wall. . . those who hate the Duggars will continually find fault, no matter what the situation was, is, or will be. They believe that if just one member makes a mistake, then the entire family is to be tarred and feathered for eternity.

Doesn't matter how remorseful Josh is, doesn't matter how much he's reformed. . . because in the Dugger-haters' eyes and minds, they're all trash. Have to feel sorry for those filled with such venom.
Oddly enough I find myself liking the Duggars...it a weird "wish people were that perfect in real life" sort of way. And "wow they are committed!" way. I have enjoyed snuggling up on the couch and watching their shows with my 8 year old daughter knowing for sure there wont be anything that isn't "family friendly" stuck in there. And I surely don't believe they are evil. But I don't agree with them on much of their stances on lgbt or anything like that. And I don't agree with their Quiverfull lifestyle either. But most of all, I know the way they handled this is the tip of the ice burg of the dysfunction and trauma in all of those children's lives (Josh's included).

They have 19 beautiful children...I wish all of them the best. But, honestly, I hope they all escape the cult they are in and heal from it. Because where there is smoke, there is fire.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:42 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't think a 14 year old can even be charged as a "child molester" because he is still considered a child himself. I'm sure it varies by state, but legally, it might have been different if he was 16, not 14. Not defending him, just saying. I also don't think it makes any difference if he was taller than JB, or whatever. He wasn't an adult. Kids brains don't fully form until they are 25. Not defending, just pointing out that a manly body is not the same as being an adult man.

I'd never heard about Lena Dunham until this week.
He was also 15...it happened between 14 and 15 years old (that we know of). And there are laws, I think, in every state protecting younger children (often the rule of thumb is 5 years younger) from sexual acts by an older minor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies