Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 11:46 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Adams, Jefferson, Quincy Adams, I "think" Madison and Monroe, Lincoln, FDR never served in the military. Got any complaints about them?
Lincoln served in the Black Hawk War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 11:47 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Adams, Jefferson, Quincy Adams, I "think" Madison and Monroe, Lincoln, FDR never served in the military. Got any complaints about them?
Better check your history. Especially the War for Independence for the first 5 you mention. Monroe and Lincoln on the frontiers and FDR was Secretary of the Navy.

Find facts before defaming the dead.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:49 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I would like to think that someone who served in nam and subsequent adventures would be more reluctant to commit troops to hopeless and pointless conflicts. Probably not true though. Those defense industry bribes overrule both good sense and bitter experience

Old 05-23-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I would like to think that someone who served in nam and subsequent adventures would be more reluctant to commit troops to hopeless and pointless conflicts.
Exactly! If Hillary is elected president we will just have more of the same.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:51 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
There is a lot of talk about "equal pay" on a gender basis and now women can serve in combat units in the military. Hillary Clinton wants to be elected commander in chief of our armed forces, yet she has never served a day in the military. It is true that she can't be called a draft dodger(like her husband) since women were not subject to the draft, but nothing prevented her from volunteering for military service during the Vietnam War. Why should we put her in charge of all U.S. servicemen and servicewomen when she wouldn't take the initiative to serve herself?
Presidents who are vets have always been a rarity in America. Vietnam began over 50 years ago, and the United States has changed since then. A half century that is now 16 years in our rear view mirror has increasingly less relevance to this century with each passing year.

Do you believe any woman is unfit for the Presidency who has not served? Or only Hillary is unfit because she didn't volunteer? She was in college then, and a lot of college kids never served. Why are you singling her out from all the rest?

This notion is ridiculous. As First Lady, then Senator, then Secretary of State, Hillary knows more about the the services than you or I do, and I was a vet who volunteered. My service does not qualify me for the job. If you served, neither do you qualify. We both know the Presidency is more than just our military.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Presidents who are vets have always been a rarity in America. Vietnam began over 50 years ago, and the United States has changed since then. A half century that is now 16 years in our rear view mirror has increasingly less relevance to this century with each passing year.
You are right, and that makes Hillary ancient. We need a younger person in the White House. It isn't a geriatric facility, you know.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Do you believe any woman is unfit for the Presidency who has not served? .
Any person; male, female, transsexual, whatever, is unfit for the presidency if they are not a veteran.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:55 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think normally we look for certain experience in both governing and even military for our leads. often it depends on the time. But even Roosevelt recognized this in making sure he kept marshal close at hand in WWII. Some things do not come just with reading history in worse times. Its why we pick governors so often who have been successful inn state executive positions in peace but turn often to experienced military leads in crisis.I think from the Joint Chiefs reports I will be looking for someone who can rebuild our military from the supposed peace dividend of Clinton. The fact that we had 180 fighter squadrons at time of Gulf War and now 50 soon to be 40 is frightening. It even then will taken a decade to rebuild. Being unprepared has constantly cost lives in every war we have been including WWI and WWII. Its not so much do we want to now days; as can we with present condition of force.
I recall reading what we now call an "op ed" by Eisenhower shortly after he left office. He suggested a universal draft, with young men (military was primarily young men at the time) going through boot camp and serving a total of 6 months. His opinion is that the nation would have a pool of potential military who could be brought on line very quickly.

I doubt we could get anything like that going these days.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:48 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Good point. President Lyndon Johnson was a Lieutenant Commander in the U.S. Naval Reserves and arguably made a mistake by allowing the Vietnam War to be micromanaged from the Pentagon instead of letting the generals "in country" make the decisions.
He made a mistake by escalating a needless war of choice where there was nothing to be won.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:49 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Any person; male, female, transsexual, whatever, is unfit for the presidency if they are not a veteran.
The Constitution disagrees with you and carries a bit more weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies