Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the idea of 2 years mandatory military service for all Americans?
Yes 45 26.16%
No 111 64.53%
Other (explain) 16 9.30%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:05 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
As a navy veteran I do know what I'm talking about. You will receive a minimum of $356 a month untaxed in food allotments. Overseas assignments bring all sorts of specialty pay.
Maybe in the Navy....not in the Army...you get squat while over seas...unless you are talking in a combat zone then things change...but if you think it's like that throughout, well, you really don't know.

Quote:
Being on a ship in international waters puts you in a tax free zone, then there's sea pay, if you're married you get family separation pay, if you work in hazardous conditions you get hazard pay. There are many incentive pays one can receive. And you'll only be an E-1 for a few months, ranking up to E-2 and E-3 is a matter of months.
Not everyone is on a ship, I've also seen E-2 and E-3s be that for up to a few years. They are not gimmie promotions, a company is allotted a certain amount per month....hell in Korea we had boards to see who the best private was.....

Not everyone gets hazard pay....and you are right, there are many incentive pays that can be had, as long as you are in the right MOS, you have qualified for that pay, and then you must preform...again, not everyone gets incentive pay...

You are acting like they just give it away on a whim...

Old 05-27-2015, 09:15 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
How do the christians on this thread reconcile their belief system with forcing others into Caesars army?

Old 05-27-2015, 09:18 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Maybe in the Navy....not in the Army...you get squat while over seas...unless you are talking in a combat zone then things change...but if you think it's like that throughout, well, you really don't know.

Not everyone is on a ship, I've also seen E-2 and E-3s be that for up to a few years. They are not gimmie promotions, a company is allotted a certain amount per month....hell in Korea we had boards to see who the best private was.....

Not everyone gets hazard pay....and you are right, there are many incentive pays that can be had, as long as you are in the right MOS, you have qualified for that pay, and then you must preform...again, not everyone gets incentive pay...

You are acting like they just give it away on a whim...
No, what I'm saying is you can not look at just base pay from the military pay chart to see what a service member makes, as there are a lot of allotment and special pays that are not included on the basic pay chart. People like to throw around an E-5 makes $28k a year, though his take home pay is actually closer to $50k a year.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:57 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How do the christians on this thread reconcile their belief system with forcing others into Caesars army?
Never mind the Christians what about the people who value freedom? What about the people that are against slavery?
Spoiler
a condition compared to that of a slave in respect of exhausting labor or restricted freedom.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:23 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I did alternate service for the draft in the forest service.
Some military disciplines might have improved it.but I believe fighting fires is a relivent service to the country.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
No, what I'm saying is you can not look at just base pay from the military pay chart to see what a service member makes, as there are a lot of allotment and special pays that are not included on the basic pay chart. People like to throw around an E-5 makes $28k a year, though his take home pay is actually closer to $50k a year.
How? So this is for everyone?

I retired as an E7 with 21 years and my take home was $55,000 (at 21 years)....and I did have flight pay...an extra $225 a month....

So, you still seem to not know what you are talking about.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:36 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
So being drafted into the military is being drafted into slavery? I think your idea of slavery needs some work.

In some ways he is right. Whether you are drafted, or voluntarily enlist you are the property of the US government. Now, I don't know about you, but I ain't nobody's God damned property! I voted no on mandatory military service. Why? Well... could you trust someone who was forced to join and didn't want to be there to do a great job? I couldn't. So that person who was forced to join is only doing the bare minimum. Yeah, sure they could punish that person, but that still isn't going to make them do better. Let's put it this way, if a foreign nation's troops actually landed on our shores in an attempt to invade and occupy this land, you wouldn't NEED to draft me, because I would be right there fighting to force any foreign invasion back! At this stage of the game, I have no interest in further feeding the Military Industrial Complex to fund their bulls*** wars under the guise of spreading democracy or freedom around the world. Let's worry about our own damn country and fixing its woes, and keeping our freedoms in tact, instead of continuing to try to solve everyone elses problems, when in reality we are only making more problems.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:43 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
How? So this is for everyone?

I retired as an E7 with 21 years and my take home was $55,000 (at 21 years)....and I did have flight pay...an extra $225 a month....

So, you still seem to not know what you are talking about.

Knowing a few E-5's when I was in their take home pay while on a ship or stationed overseas was right about $4,000 a month, which comes out to just under $50k a year. If their income was taxed at the same level as their civilian counter parts their gross income would be over $60k a year.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Knowing a few E-5's when I was in their take home pay while on a ship or stationed overseas was right about $4,000 a month, which comes out to just under $50k a year. If their income was taxed at the same level as their civilian counter parts their gross income would be over $60k a year.
I've already said that some may...you cannot take that "some may" make all that and throw it across the entire military.

The last 5 years in the Army I was stationed at USAG Humprheys, my take home was $55,000 (pre tax)...

I guess I need to go back and ask for all those "incentives" you are speaking of...

Old 05-27-2015, 10:59 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That would be horribly expensive and completely unnecessary. Why do it?
Some people never get out of the area they are born in, it is their world, the people within that area are their world. Maybe mandatory service would get them away, open up their world, learn to respect authority. Besides, we are supporting these kinds of people through welfare, why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies