Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:29 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times

Advertisements

Honestly I wish having good grades was required of presidents, however it's not. I know way too many people who were C students and ended up in good jobs because of who they know while the smart kids end up working for them. Bush only got the job because he came from a wealthy powerful family. Most C students don't. I don't believe in general C students should attend college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 09:30 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Having good grades won't effect knowing that. If he never took a class regarding that particular issue, he wouldn't necessarily need to know that. That's also not an issue of education. I guarantee a lot of college educated people don't know that. Hell, probably some on the honors list. Granted, by now most people know about Shia/Sunni, but I'd be shocked is many knew what the difference was.
You're missing the point. If you get a 'D' in geography, and couldn't find Iraq on a map until your Vice President and Secretary of Defense pointed it out to you, then it is highly probable you also don't know the customs and challenges that await you if you decide to send troops into the country to fight and die for a lost cause.

Yea, education matters. Don't ever forget it, either.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:31 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You're missing the point. If you get a 'D' in geography, and couldn't find Iraq on a map until your Vice President and Secretary of Defense pointed it out to you, then it is highly probable you don't know the customs and challenges that await you if you decide to send troops into the country to fight and die for a lost cause.

Yea, education matters. Don't ever forget it, either.
Of course education matters. But grades don't reflect intelligence, nor is school the only way to get educated. Experience is the best teacher.

He also probably didn't have to take many geography classes.

And for the record, I don't think Bush is intelligent, but that opinion has nothing to do with what grades he got in school.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:33 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
W did have better grades than Kerry.
We can only guess about Obama's,
since they are a closely guarded secret.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:38 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Why shouldn't they be? How are anyone's grades anyone's business besides the person they belong to?

I don't need to now a presidents grades to tell if they're intelligent or not.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:55 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
dont forget that al gore had LOWER grades than GW bush had in college.
Neither failed a class, both had 1 D, so no, he didnt have lower grades. By the standard im guessing you are using, they had equal grades at the bottom, not Gore having lower as you claimed.

President Bush also never released his actual transcript, only hinting at it as well as former classmates telling the news that he didnt get a single "A" as an undergrad.

Where as VP Gore did release part of his and had A's.

neither released full transcripts or GPAs, so we can only assume the one with A's has the higher GPA thus disproving your point(at least based on the info we have)

Old 05-26-2015, 09:56 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
And for the record, I don't think Bush is intelligent, but that opinion has nothing to do with what grades he got in school.
George Bush has two Ivy League degrees Dusty. How many do you have?

The left puts far too emphasis on the wrong things.

I don't care how smart someone is if they can not lead and can not inspire.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:57 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,064 times
I suspect Bush had far better grades than the op and all the other smug asses posting in this thread.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Neither Kerry or Bush released grades, all they released was a composite score aka, GPA on a 100 point scale.

Last edited by dsjj251; 05-26-2015 at 10:53 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 PM

529 posts, read 1,548,189 times
Grades mean almost nothing!

Grades based on unfair and narrow minded standardized testing are not the definition of an individual's abilities in the ACTUAL WORLD outside of the comfy confines of College.

Many employers now are dropping GPA requirements as they should have done years ago. They've realized GPA means nothing and it limits the number of capable and talented individuals who they can choose from.

Plenty of "A" students work directly alongside "C" students who do equally outstanding work.

I know plenty of "A" students who have lower paying jobs that they hate because they couldn't get into their field of interest/study based on non grade related reasons such as personality or abilities.

I also know plenty of "A" students who got useless degrees and are still working High School/GED level jobs.

I also know plenty of "C" students who are working good jobs making good money all because of their proven abilities rather than what their pointless GPA stated.

Last edited by JMM64; 05-26-2015 at 10:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies