Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:02 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,483,325 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone seriously considered moving out of the U.S.?

If so, for what reasons and how would you go about it?

I honestly thought about it from a few factors in my life.
Here goes: from living in Detroit as a youngster and spending alot of time as a teen/young adult in Windsor, Ont., it's hard to believe the differences in the two areas being 'just right across the river'. It really is a microcosm of the differences of the two countries via history, politics and social strata. (ect..) Sometimes, as a teen, young adult, i would feel something 'ain't right' with the U.S.

Another thing is how we're programmed consumers in the U.S. is really disturbing. Take, for instance ,the art of bartering. Most U.S. consumers walk into a store willingly pay for what the price says on most consumer goods. Having lived in Phoenix with a high Mexican/hispanic population coupled with visiting the border town of Nogales, Mexico. I got to see that side of the coin. The art of bartering is lost among many ("mainstream") Americans. It is if though the U.S. (consumer) is one big mass of sheep.

Another reason is the healthcare in the U.S. (that needs no explaning other than the fact that it is fundementally flawed..in a nutshell)

I would like to hear your stories and reasons if you did move out, thought about it or in the process of doing it.

B.G.F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 07:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
I've been lucky, I've only lived in the US for one year during the current administration. I won't be moving back until 2011.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:24 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
To the OP - absolutely not.

I live in the finest country in the world. Or, to be sure, we have our faults - then again, every country does. But, those faults aside, there is nowhere else on the planet that would allow me (or you) to be whatever we want to be - to do whatever I want to do - to live wherever I want to live -

No, I have never given it any thought - for, there is no reason to.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:33 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,821 times
I have. I would have loved to move to Italy. The food is great, the geography is breath taking, the culture is wonderful. Plus, they seem to have the right idea how to live. Work to live rather than live to work.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Just wondering if anyone seriously considered moving out of the U.S.?

If so, for what reasons and how would you go about it?

I honestly thought about it from a few factors in my life.
Here goes: from living in Detroit as a youngster and spending alot of time as a teen/young adult in Windsor, Ont., it's hard to believe the differences in the two areas being 'just right across the river'. It really is a microcosm of the differences of the two countries via history, politics and social strata. (ect..) Sometimes, as a teen, young adult, i would feel something 'ain't right' with the U.S.

Another thing is how we're programmed consumers in the U.S. is really disturbing. Take, for instance ,the art of bartering. Most U.S. consumers walk into a store willingly pay for what the price says on most consumer goods. Having lived in Phoenix with a high Mexican/hispanic population coupled with visiting the border town of Nogales, Mexico. I got to see that side of the coin. The art of bartering is lost among many ("mainstream") Americans. It is if though the U.S. (consumer) is one big mass of sheep.

Another reason is the healthcare in the U.S. (that needs no explaning other than the fact that it is fundementally flawed..in a nutshell)

I would like to hear your stories and reasons if you did move out, thought about it or in the process of doing it.

B.G.F.
We have considered moving to Mexico, but never seriously. We would be considered rather wealthy there, and with the value of their peso increasing, we would do rather well over time.

If they didnt have corruption issues as much, or issues with security (we've been there several times and had to hire armed security guards), it would be a serious discussion, but the thought of needing armed security for the rest of my life, doesnt thrill me.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:04 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
I will probably retire in Mexico. Great people, beautiful areas to live, health care much more affordable. (Pgqhuest, I don't know what part of the woods you travel in, but I travel and work all over the country and manage to get by just fine without any security guards. Mexico City can get hairy in some places, but the other large cities are fine. It is a far cry from Brazil, for example, where security guards are a requirement.) Hundreds of thousands of Americans are living in Mexico today.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:09 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I have. I would have loved to move to Italy. The food is great, the geography is breath taking, the culture is wonderful. Plus, they seem to have the right idea how to live. Work to live rather than live to work.
We have too. We have family in Germany and Ireland that would love us to come. But we also love Italy and would love to move there. I think it is a combination of complete fustration that the US is turning into something I don't recognize and no one doing anything about it and it isnt good. And wanting to explore the world while we still can.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:10 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,854 times
I used to think about it but after having traveled extensively, I find I have more options here. My ideal would be to live to Canada near the US and go back and forth but I would never leave my granddaughter, plus I don't meet Canada's eligibility requirements to do so.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:19 AM

209 posts, read 1,089,611 times
Yes-- In fact, I am strongly considering moving to Calgary or Vancouver. The American government is corrupted *cough* Bush Admin., and health care is going nowhere fast. Poverty is rising, pollution is increasing STILL even when we have been pressured by other countries to cut down. We are in a recession for sure, announced about a month ago, and some financial advisors are now fearing a DEpression. America is not viewed as hard-working people anymore, it has lost it's best country in the world status--I think--and is losing the vision other people used to give it--EVERYONE used to want to move to America, not anymore. It's changing here and definitely not for the better. One of these days our democratic system of gov't is going to crash--and I am anxiously waiting for the day. This is exactly what happened to Germany when it was overtaken by Hitler, their economy was weak, they're government weakening, everything was going downhill, and some dictator stepped in and promised to fix it... I am not saying that this would happen to America--I am just recalling history. HISTORY ALWAYS REPEATS ITSELF. Right now, I actually think we are very vulnerable, most of our troops are in a war we dont need to be fighting, and if someone attacked us--we would be SPEECHLESS, we would have no idea what to do... America had better shape up before something major happens-majorlybad-I and several other Americans are beginning to feel a hankrin' that something bad is in the offing.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:40 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
I would. For the sense of comfortable adventure... not for political reasons .... to Britain or Australia.

But I don't think I could. Family is important, and home is home.

Maybe I could move to Canada, but I see no reason to except to never worry about healthcare again. Canada is for Americans who don't have what it takes to live in the raucous center of the Empire. Those that don't like or don't know how to fight. It's like retiring to the suburbs, basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies