Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 06:41 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
One thing that is missing in America is quality of life. That's a theme which finds little interest. (also a thread I started months ago). Americans have (or make) little time for quality of life. People view everything in financial terms, especially taxes. People talk about money, but does anyone talk about quality of life?
Higher taxes do not equate to a better quality of life. Just the opposite in fact

As for that America lacks a quality of life, I suppose it would be a subjective issue - what do you consider a good quality of life?

Personally - my quality of life COULD NOT get any better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 06:44 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
LuAnn: how long ago was it that you lived in Spain?

but life here is better than any other country in the world....never doubt that, no matter how bad it gets....it will always be the most sought after life and country there is....I truly believe that....

I humbly disagree with your assessment.
I don't feel that the US is the best country in the world, although I was born and raised there. The US doesn't suit my needs so I currently live abroad and will retire abroad, albeit in a different country.

We can only talk about our own experiences. Most Europeans that I know (and I lived there twice) would never consider moving to the US. The social climate in their countries provide what they're looking for. People who would like to move to the US only know the US by television and/or movies, not the reality of living there.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:07 AM

365 posts, read 699,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
LuAnn: how long ago was it that you lived in Spain?

but life here is better than any other country in the world....never doubt that, no matter how bad it gets....it will always be the most sought after life and country there is....I truly believe that....

I humbly disagree with your assessment.
I don't feel that the US is the best country in the world, although I was born and raised there. The US doesn't suit my needs so I currently live abroad and will retire abroad, albeit in a different country.

We can only talk about our own experiences. Most Europeans that I know (and I lived there twice) would never consider moving to the US. The social climate in their countries provide what they're looking for. People who would like to move to the US only know the US by television and/or movies, not the reality of living there.
we lived in Spain form 1986-1992, four years...

I dont think social climate is what would make me leave here, or seriously even make others come here, I would hope it would be more for new found freedom like it always has been and will be ...Im glad you found a place that suits your needs better than here... can you tell us where it is?...as for retirment, lol, well, I want my lil feet in front of the fireplace I spent years bustin my backside HERE to pay for right here in the old USA

Old 01-21-2008, 07:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
I'll just say it is in southeast asia.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:39 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Given thought of going back to Australia,mainly for family but also because we could sell everything here and buy a small farm outright in Australia.

That would be a major plus in becoming less needy upon outside income.

Also have looked at South America, mainly Chile and Uruguay due to the low cost of land.

However being 'rich furriners' for the rest of our lives wouldn't be that much fun.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,228 times
I could never leave the USA. Simply the best country with the most opportunities. I enjoyed the Canadian people when I visited up there but at the same time, their obsession with Americans and the misnomers about US citizens were appalling.

Simply put, we have the best healthcare, the best education and the best opportunities for success. Do we have problems? Yes, but problems exist everywhere. Personally, I would love to see America take back its roots a little more and become conservative once again so that we don't have all government intrusions and special interest group involvements in our lives. I don't need anyone else to tell me how to spend my money or how to run my life.

I still think that the number of people immigrating to America speaks volumes too.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
I wouldn't mind some extended travel.
However, it is doubtful that I would ever permanently leave; I prefer to stay here and try to work on change.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:31 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
Quote:
we have the best healthcare
Interestingly enough, a big reason for Americans going overseas is to buy health care that is unaffordable back home. In America, a hip resurfacing can run over $50K. At a top hospital in India, it goes for $5K or so. Even with airfare and $3K worth of vacation package options, the savings are massive.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
I think I'd prefer to live in Canada - probably Toronto - mainly because of marriage rights and political climate. But it would be a big pain to do (and secure jobs there) plus I hate cold weather. I've lived in Germany before and enjoyed it. It gave me a different perspective on the U.S.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:36 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,072,460 times
Yep.. totally thought about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies