Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 03:12 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,803 times

Advertisements

In 2004 I thought about leaving the US, maybe go to Sweden or the UK. But those countries actually have real immigration laws, imagine that! They just don't hand out visas. You've got to have an employer sponsoring you, etc., and alot of those countries don't need alot more workers.

I wouldn't blame any American for wanting to leave. I guess my 2 cents doesn't matter but you don't have to be some kind of hater to be disgusted with thie direction this country has gone.

I guess it doesn't help I lived overseas as a teenager and I loved England and northern Europe. England in particular is an underrated country and it is baffling why so many English people are moving to here in Florida. It's like trading in your BMW for a Toyota Corolla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 03:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
As much as I would be leaving because of things I disagree with, such as health care and religious tyranny, I'm mostly leaving or living abroad because I like learning about and living in new cultures.

I found a place that touches my heart, and meets all of my personal needs. Why wouldn't I want to go there?

Magnulus, two words for moving out of England/Europe: the weather.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:02 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Lancaster Native, I find it interesting that you find persecution where there is little or none. You speak of the US being a xian country, then you're unhappy about there being muslim countries. Do you want everything in this world your way? Do you want everyone to practice the way you do?

The OP was why we would consider moving out of the US, if indeed we ever did consider moving. Your response to me had nothing to do with the op but was, in usual fashion, belittling or arguing the point of a non-xian believer. I made a statement about myself.

If you've never considered moving outside of the US, why argue those of us who live outside or believe we will in the future?
My initial response the OP is right here...a simple, direct and on-topic reply to the question.

It was only after I noticed your rather unkind verbal assault on 60-90 million of my brothers & sisters that I made any further comment.

BTW, what is an "xian"? Sounds like the suffix of another word...or a visitor from another planet. If you are of the same über-tolerant bent as most liberals, wouldn't it behoove you to show more respect to the name of the God we choose to honor?

If there's one thing I'm very intolerant of, it's double standards.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:20 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
As much as I would be leaving because of things I disagree with, such as health care and religious tyranny...
Religious tyranny? In the US? Where?

Reminds me of something you recently posted: "I find it interesting that you find persecution where there is little or none."

Old 01-22-2008, 04:30 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,145 times
Arrow Yeledaf

So?! What are your 'sentiments' on moving if you've ever considered it? Or have you ever lived abroad and for what reasons did you make the move, political or otherwise?

(If you don't mind me asking? ...)

B.G.F.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:11 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
So?! What are your 'sentiments' on moving if you've ever considered it? Or have you ever lived abroad and for what reasons did you make the move, political or otherwise?

(If you don't mind me asking? ...)

B.G.F.
Not at all.

I've lived abroad several times. The first time was at the country's request when I was sent to Vietnam. Not cool.

I have done teaching / research sabbaticals in two Asian and one European country. I loved it.

My current work involves extensive foreign travel. I have spent periods of time from one week to a month or so in countries in every continent except Africa. My favorite places so far are Brazil, England, and Poland. Oh, and Italy. And of course la belle France. And Australia. Great countries, great people.

My dream is to retire in Provence, in the south of France. The dollar's current depressed state makes that problematic, but those things have a way of changing.

There is really no place on earth that I regret having visited or lived in, with the possible exception of northeastern China, which I found to be a depressing ecological disaster.

I firmly believe that if more Americans had the experience of living overseas, they would have a broader view of the world and perhaps a more favorable opinion of the blessings they enjoy here at home.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:43 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

I firmly believe that if more Americans had the experience of living overseas, they would have a broader view of the world and perhaps a more favorable opinion of the blessings they enjoy here at home.
I've often remarked on this myself..SO true...the "blessings they enjoy here at home"....SO special, still SO relatively rare, and, ironically, one of those blessings is the affluence, and the free time, that instead being compelled to of go out, look around, and try to figure out what our next MEAL will be (if, indeed, we GET one), we have the luxury of being able to sit around "grousing" about our "condition" here.....Great Point !...

Old 01-22-2008, 06:20 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
In 2004 I thought about leaving the US, maybe go to Sweden or the UK. But those countries actually have real immigration laws, imagine that! They just don't hand out visas. You've got to have an employer sponsoring you, etc., and alot of those countries don't need alot more workers.

I wouldn't blame any American for wanting to leave. I guess my 2 cents doesn't matter but you don't have to be some kind of hater to be disgusted with thie direction this country has gone.

I guess it doesn't help I lived overseas as a teenager and I loved England and northern Europe. England in particular is an underrated country and it is baffling why so many English people are moving to here in Florida. It's like trading in your BMW for a Toyota Corolla.
I agree with you -- especially about England. I LOVE it there! The tradition and history, the beautiful countryside, the wonderful people and less-stressed lifestyle! It's so lovely to shop in a real town with stores in those beautiful old buildings, rather than going to a stupid mall.

My English friends came to visit me in the States once and they really couldn't take the heat and humidity of Texas, so I don't know why Britons would want to go to Florida! LOL, I'm envious, though, of their ability to pop over to France or Belgium for an afternoon and the ease with which they can visit so many different countries!

As for jobs, yep, it's tough. Teachers are in high demand there and my friends say that engineers are, too. But their immigration rules ARE strict and very much enforced -- they have to prove they can't find a Briton or an EU citizen first before hiring folks from other continents.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:31 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Personally speaking for myself, i've grown up in some extreme/not-the-norm social areas in this country hence the cynical attitude. (Detroit/S.E.Kentucky/W.Phoenix)

All in all, i do think i would appreciate this country more if i were to live abroad.

BTW-Good post! Quite impressed!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:50 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
One of the reasons I don't want to live in the US, is the evangelical religious movement. I prefer residing in a culture that is accepting of everyone.

Oh, please. You call this a verbal assault?
Are you saying that if I don't agree with your viewpoint, my comments are a "verbal assault"?
What about this statement vilified "60-90 million of your brothers & sisters"?
Again, you perceive persecution where none exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies