Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 11:58 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
To the OP - absolutely not.

I live in the finest country in the world. Or, to be sure, we have our faults - then again, every country does. But, those faults aside, there is nowhere else on the planet that would allow me (or you) to be whatever we want to be - to do whatever I want to do - to live wherever I want to live -

No, I have never given it any thought - for, there is no reason to.
Free to do what I want? Yeah, right! Am I free to do something trivial like drinking a beer in a public space. Nope. It's illegal. Perfectly okay in Europe, though.

I have thought about it and it will probably happen at some point, but it would only be for a couple of years tops. I think that it would be nice to have a change of scenery for a minute. But, I love America; my friends and family are here and the thought of being so far away from them doesn't really sound appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 12:40 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't even want to leave town, much less the country of my birth. If I had my way, no one would EVER move from the place they were born.
I too served in the military and traveled alot. I love my country above all others. This said our country could stand to learn a few things from others.
Travel to Thailand. You will see be who are happy and humble. Very independent of any gov assistance. You will see a people who still respect their parents. Nursing homes are an unthinkable option.
Travel to England. You will taste some quality beer. Same with germany.
Travel to spain and watch the shops close every afternoon for siesta.
Variety is the spice of life. Yes I believe the USA is the best of all. But its not the only game in town.
It could be this very arrogance that leads us down one wrong path after another.
Stay home if thats your thing. House plants don't get out much and I wouldn't want to be one of those either.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:49 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I too served in the military and traveled alot. I love my country above all others. This said our country could stand to learn a few things from others.
Travel to Thailand. You will see be who are happy and humble. Very independent of any gov assistance. You will see a people who still respect their parents. Nursing homes are an unthinkable option.
Travel to England. You will taste some quality beer. Same with germany.
Travel to spain and watch the shops close every afternoon for siesta.
Variety is the spice of life. Yes I believe the USA is the best of all. But its not the only game in town.
It could be this very arrogance that leads us down one wrong path after another.
Stay home if thats your thing. House plants don't get out much and I wouldn't want to be one of those either.
Travel to France. You will never see an ugly woman...

Old 01-27-2008, 05:55 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,664,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Travel to France. You will never see an ugly woman...

Sweden...... You won't find one either.

France has been ruined by the radical muslims so wont be going there.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:00 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post

Yes, but Sweden is cold.

Nice blondes, though. I gotta agree with that.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:06 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post

Sweden has too,entire suburbs off limits to anyone but Muslims,rape is through the roof...and of course little is done.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:24 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,664,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Sweden has too,entire suburbs off limits to anyone but Muslims,rape is through the roof...and of course little is done.
Thank you. I was hoping someone besides me knew what the radicals are doing to that country.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:19 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Free to do what I want? Yeah, right! Am I free to do something trivial like drinking a beer in a public space. Nope. It's illegal. Perfectly okay in Europe, though.

I have thought about it and it will probably happen at some point, but it would only be for a couple of years tops. I think that it would be nice to have a change of scenery for a minute. But, I love America; my friends and family are here and the thought of being so far away from them doesn't really sound appealing.
Where I live, it is perfectly legal - The one thing that is asked though, if you are in a public park, no glass bottles. Fair enough

Old 01-29-2008, 01:31 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
I've traveled thru much of Germany, France and some of England. One thing I didn't see were places on rural roads (which I often drove) where people dump old sofas, stoves, tires, construction debris, etc.
In the state where I live it's not unusual to find garbage on country roads...even though dumping can draw a fine of $500.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:39 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
While in London a year or so ago, I was amazed at all the trash everywhere.

Lets face it, slobs live all over this planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies