Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 06:00 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Has anyone considered moving out of the U.S.?
Yep. Had the Canadian application all ready to go, and then the housing market went belly up. Canada requires money in the bank and we needed the equity from our house to show that money.

But we weren't leaving because of Mexican nationals; we were leaving because it's becoming increasingly expensive to live simply in the U.S. All of the necessities--health care, social security, education--have become hot commodities, available to those who can afford the price. Heck, we're even approaching a time when there will be medical credit scores. That's right; if your medical credit score isn't high enough, you could be denied medical treatment by some physicians or hospitals.

Our governments have failed us, our watchdogs in media are beholden to corporate investors, and the lifestyle choices available to our grandparents are scarce if non-existent.

Yes, Canadian taxes are very high. But as far as I know, their government hasn't been as corrupted as ours (yet), and the citizens still get a better return on their tax "investment" (for now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 09:18 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Why Canada?

I have looked(albeit online) and there are some wonderful retirement/work locations to our south....way down south.

Look at Chile,Uruguay and the like,amazing what you can buy.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:22 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why Canada?

I have looked(albeit online) and there are some wonderful retirement/work locations to our south....way down south.

Look at Chile,Uruguay and the like,amazing what you can buy.
Language, culture, proximity to family that still live in the US. I wouldn't make the move myself... the politics and climate aren't to my liking, but I can see why it would be more desirable than Uruguay, Chile, Panama, or Belize.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:33 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Language, culture, proximity to family that still live in the US. I wouldn't make the move myself... the politics and climate aren't to my liking, but I can see why it would be more desirable than Uruguay, Chile, Panama, or Belize.
Language I can see,although those Canucks DO talk funny.

Culture,well....what is t really miss about American culture?

Proximity to family I can see although with air travel you can be anywhere in 24 hours.

I looked at Belize and Panama,too tropical(meaning bugs,LOTS AND LOTS of bugs) and too crowded.

Uruguay actually is incredibly european and has a live and let live outlook.

Argentina would be nice excpet there seems to be a LOT of crime there now which is too bad as you could have a lovely little place for not a lot of $$$.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:35 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,483,911 times
Arrow Good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Yep. Had the Canadian application all ready to go, and then the housing market went belly up. Canada requires money in the bank and we needed the equity from our house to show that money.

But we weren't leaving because of Mexican nationals; we were leaving because it's becoming increasingly expensive to live simply in the U.S. All of the necessities--health care, social security, education--have become hot commodities, available to those who can afford the price. Heck, we're even approaching a time when there will be medical credit scores. That's right; if your medical credit score isn't high enough, you could be denied medical treatment by some physicians or hospitals.

Our governments have failed us, our watchdogs in media are beholden to corporate investors, and the lifestyle choices available to our grandparents are scarce if non-existent.

Yes, Canadian taxes are very high. But as far as I know, their government hasn't been as corrupted as ours (yet), and the citizens still get a better return on their tax "investment" (for now).
...well put.

I know, it's sad! Having spent a considerable amount of time in Canada, i was surprised at the difference. All this time during my childhood, i would hear "U.S. is the best country!!!," blah...dah blah, i really started to have my differences in opinions. Take, for instance, the racial divide between the two countries on the whole. In Windsor, it isn't anything like that. Especially compared to Detroit.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:05 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,027,584 times
I would go to France- Brittany, or Bordeaux- good wine and food, but free high quality health care main reason, very tired of what the USA has become- a third rate financial banana republik.

Also Italy; good food and wine-mild climate; also Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark. Switzerland of course. Canada- but hard to immigrate too these days. Australia is possible, especially New Zealand- but both tough on new immigration now. All these nations have universal health care, a higher quality of life then the USA- by a large margin.

Possibly Spain- but too $$$ now-Portugal is a great pick as well- mild climate, still relatively cheap- universal healthcare-and good food and wine

Ireland and Great Britain-too expensive now.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:09 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,483,911 times
Default Good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I would go to France- Brittany, or Bordeaux- good wine and food, but free high quality health care main reason, very tired of what the USA has become- a third rate financial banana republik.

Also Italy; good food and wine-mild climate; also Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark. Switzerland of course. Canada- but hard to immigrate too. Australia is possible, especially New Zealand- all these nations have universal health care, a higher quality of life then the USA- by a large margin.

Ireland and Great Britain-too expensive now.
My wife and i toyed with the idea of New Zealand too!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:17 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,929 times
I guess I would never leave unless there were dire circumstances. I see this as my home - born and brought up here on the East coast - can't imagine being anywhere else. Also, my father fought in WWII, and I aim to honor him by appreciating the freedoms we have here.

Can't imagine turning my back on this country.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:08 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I guess I would never leave unless there were dire circumstances. I see this as my home - born and brought up here on the East coast - can't imagine being anywhere else. Also, my father fought in WWII, and I aim to honor him by appreciating the freedoms we have here.

That's a fair (and probably common) sentiment. Most Americans would rather stay right here.

For me and my family, we'll likely stay unless--like you said--things get dire. But America has changed. And I continue asking myself the same question: is America a country or a market? So many important facets of our society have become bottom-lined and profit-driven, that in some important ways we've lost our sense of country; our sense of community; our sense of fairness; our sense of right and wrong.

Sorry for going all soap-box, there.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:42 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post

Pretty good assessment. I tend to agree. It's my impression that LOTS of people would like to leave the US for LOTS of reasons...our arrogance, our smugness, our racism, our xenophobia, our intolerance, our insensitivity, our increasingly rancorous immigration debate, our cavalier and offensive foreign policies, our war-like tendencies, our generally crude and materialistic culture, and the ever-more burdensome job of being able to 'make it" here. But then, when someone asks them seriously when, or if, they're leaving, they say "WHAT? .....and leave all this behind? Are you kidding? no WAY !!"....

Probably they don't want to leave because they sense that their NEW home (wherever that might be) may have its OWN problems--- such as insensitivity, racism, intolerance, economic woes,......etc etc etc....well, you get the picture. I'm sure.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies