Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:56 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,515,336 times

Advertisements

The Senate tried to ram through a "clean" two-month extension of the NSA surveillance bill last night and failed 45-54. They could not even muster a majority.

Prior to that however, the Senate voted down the House passed the USA Freedom Act - passed in the House by a hugely bipartisan 338-88 margin - which would end the bulk collection of phone records by the NSA and provide for a six month transition period for the NSA to a process which does not involve this outrageously unconstitutional misuse of government authority. The USA Freedom Act is also supported by President Obama (which is the one thing that makes me queasy here, as his judgment is routinely wrong with remarkable consistency).

Quote:
U.S. Senate Blocks NSA Surveillance Bill, Patriot Act Extension

The Senate early Saturday defeated a string of efforts to extend the Patriot Act as lawmakers splintered over its contentious phone surveillance program and left town with no plan in place to prevent the law from lapsing. After next week’s Memorial Day recess, the Senate will resume its debate over the national security law at 4 p.m. on May 31, eight hours before the law expires at midnight.

Beginning shortly after midnight, the Senate narrowly blocked a House bill ending the NSA’s collection of bulk phone information, requiring the government instead to obtain court approval to request phone records from companies on a case-by-case basis. The vote to move forward with the House bill was 57-42, short of the 60 votes needed to clear the Senate’s procedural threshold.

The bill had easily cleared the House with bipartisan support last week and was backed by the White House.
The media and the supporters of the Patriot Act are making this out to be yet another hand-wringing end of the world as we know it emergency where doom and destruction are possibly imminent. In fact, the answer here is simple, as the Senate needs just three more votes to be able to pass the USA Freedom Act (passed in the House on a bipartisan basis by a margin of 338-88). I could be wrong, but I expect that this is what they will come around to.

And while Rand Paul will probably not even vote for the USA Freedom Act (he voted no last night), he is clearly the big winner here. Him and the American people have both won now that the tide has apparently turned on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 08:08 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The Senate tried to ram through a "clean" two-month extension of the NSA surveillance bill last night and failed 45-54. They could not even muster a majority.

Prior to that however, the Senate voted down the House passed the USA Freedom Act - passed in the House by a hugely bipartisan 338-88 margin - which would end the bulk collection of phone records by the NSA and provide for a six month transition period for the NSA to a process which does not involve this outrageously unconstitutional misuse of government authority. The USA Freedom Act is also supported by President Obama (which is the one thing that makes me queasy here, as his judgment is routinely wrong with remarkable consistency).

The media and the supporters of the Patriot Act are making this out to be yet another hand-wringing end of the world as we know it emergency where doom and destruction are possibly imminent. In fact, the answer here is simple, as the Senate needs just three more votes to be able to pass the USA Freedom Act (passed in the House on a bipartisan basis by a margin of 338-88). I could be wrong, but I expect that this is what they will come around to.

And while Rand Paul will probably not even vote for the USA Freedom Act (he voted no last night), he is clearly the big winner here. Him and the American people have both won now that the tide has apparently turned on this subject.
That vote was a "Motion to Invoke Cloture" which ends the discussion.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:10 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,998 times
It's odd to me that the supporters of the Patriot Act call for small government... bit of a contradiction.

Needless to say, I hope it stays dead.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:27 AM

27,130 posts, read 15,305,548 times
Sadly I believe there "all of a sudden" will be support for it in those last 8 hours.

Last edited by bluesjuke; 05-23-2015 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: word left out

Old 05-23-2015, 10:44 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
It's odd to me that the supporters of the Patriot Act call for small government... bit of a contradiction.

Link to where a USA PATRIOT Act supporter calls for small government.

You won't find people wanting small gov't promoting PATRIOT Act. Not Grover Norquist, not Rand Paul, not Tucker Carlson, not any conservative.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:48 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

Remember, those elected with Tea Party support, are very few.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Warning: Freeper Link.

I'd recommend not visiting that wingnut site if you have working brain cells.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 AM

794 posts, read 818,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Sadly I believe there "all of a sudden" be support for it in those last 8 hours.
This^

Guaranteed.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
This^

Guaranteed.

The scarey boogie man will appear on the floor in Congress. The scare tactics will be used to take our civil rights, to liberty... Straight up.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:33 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,515,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Warning: Freeper Link.

I'd recommend not visiting that wingnut site if you have working brain cells.
It is a Wall Street Journal article. And if you want to visit a wingnut site, go to the Huffington Post or the Daily Kos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies