Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:41 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,121,935 times

Advertisements

I recently came to the realization that what we perceive as laziness in poor people is actually a particular human conditioning through their upbringing and it is no fault of their own. Before I go on, please hold your judgment and bare with me as I try to explain what I mean. Also, I apologize ahead of time if my words offend anyone. I promise that all I'm trying to do is have a discussion about the issue. I have no ulterior motive.

Earlier today, while at work I decided to call my sister to have a chat with her. A little background about my sister. She worked for years at a nuclear research facility down in Kentucky before getting a job at a multi-national, multi-billion dollar company and started a family with her now husband, who is now an executive at that company. After she had her 2nd kid, she decided to quit her job and raise the boy as they decided his income alone was enough to support the family. They also rather having her raise the kids rather than a day care. So, she got a part-time teaching job at a community college to have more time to raise her kids.

So, on the phone I asked her are the boys off for the summer? She said yes. I asked are they sleeping in late nowadays? She said no. The oldest one has baseball games to play in everyday and so the younger 2 boys and my sister would go to these games. She would then take them to places like the water park or the zoo. There's always something going on. She has also signed the 2 older boys up for summer camp later in the summer. They also have reservation in Colorado for a family vacation there.

Now, let's go to my boyfriend's family. I'll be frank, and I apologize if this offends anyone. His family is poor. His father, mother, 2 little sisters, one of the sister's boyfriend, the other sister's baby (the father of that baby is long gone...), and a full grown pit bull are all crammed up in a 2 bedroom / 1 bathroom apartment. They rarely ever go out or do anything. All their free time are spent in front of the tv.

My boyfriend got out of that lifestyle as early as he could and went to school. He has told me many times that he refuses to be poor or live a (what he calls) poor lifestyle.

In the past, whenever we visited his family I always thought the little sisters were lazy. They always seemed inactive to me. They never did anything like play baseball or volunteer. Always stay at home watching tv.

Well, after I had my conversation with my sister, I realized something. All the things her family are doing and are planning to do in the summer cost money. Sure, her kids are active, social, and always have something to look forward to. But all these things cost money. A lot of money.

I've also come to realize that what the rest of us perceive as laziness in poor people is actually the inevitable result of an upbringing that lacked time and money on the parents' part. Extra-curricular activities cost money. A vacation cost money. Being active cost money. So, it's cheaper to be inactive.

What's worse is this inactiveness inevitably carries over into adulthood and gets passed onto the next generation because that is all they know. Again, it cost money to be active. Being inactive is simply a lot cheaper.

Again, I apologize if what I've said offended anyone. I understand that this is a sensitive and politically incorrect issue I'm tackling. For years, I've seen the conservative side dismiss how poor people act as laziness and liberal side deny this completely. Let's not throw around fox news or msnbc insults PLEASE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 09:44 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,911,312 times
Except we never had planned activities when I was a kid. We had a bit of sports equipment, a bat, a baseball, a football, a basketball and a glove. Betting you could get all this off craigslist for 50 bucks.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:46 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,772,302 times
How is it that your boyfriend can choose not to be lazy yet his sisters' laziness is the "inevitable result of an upbringing..."? Didn't they grow up in the same house?

Old 06-02-2015, 09:53 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,121,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
How is it that your boyfriend can choose not to be lazy yet his sisters' laziness is the "inevitable result of an upbringing..."? Didn't they grow up in the same house?
He somehow managed to get out of that mindset. You could say he's a black sheep.

Unfortunately, despite his best effort to get his little sisters onboard with him, they've fallen into that inactive mindset. 1 of them dropped out of HS and is now doing... nothing with a baby. The other just graduated HS this year and is looking for minimum wage job with a temp agency. Her boyfriend works 2 minimum wage jobs and just spent all his savings on a gold chain...

Old 06-02-2015, 09:59 PM

366 posts, read 596,703 times
This is just the old "nature vs. nurture" debate, and it looks like you've taken the side of nurture. Personally I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. The genetic component of personality traits is difficult to deny when you set aside political motives. However I also believe growing up in a culture that values hard work and education is a major factor in developing motivation and agency.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:01 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,070,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I recently came to the realization that what we perceive as laziness in poor people is actually a particular human conditioning through their upbringing and it is no fault of their own. Before I go on, please hold your judgment and bare with me as I try to explain what I mean. Also, I apologize ahead of time if my words offend anyone. I promise that all I'm trying to do is have a discussion about the issue. I have no ulterior motive.

Earlier today, while at work I decided to call my sister to have a chat with her. A little background about my sister. She worked for years at a nuclear research facility down in Kentucky before getting a job at a multi-national, multi-billion dollar company and started a family with her now husband, who is now an executive at that company. After she had her 2nd kid, she decided to quit her job and raise the boy as they decided his income alone was enough to support the family. They also rather having her raise the kids rather than a day care. So, she got a part-time teaching job at a community college to have more time to raise her kids.

So, on the phone I asked her are the boys off for the summer? She said yes. I asked are they sleeping in late nowadays? She said no. The oldest one has baseball games to play in everyday and so the younger 2 boys and my sister would go to these games. She would then take them to places like the water park or the zoo. There's always something going on. She has also signed the 2 older boys up for summer camp later in the summer. They also have reservation in Colorado for a family vacation there.

Now, let's go to my boyfriend's family. I'll be frank, and I apologize if this offends anyone. His family is poor. His father, mother, 2 little sisters, one of the sister's boyfriend, the other sister's baby (the father of that baby is long gone...), and a full grown pit bull are all crammed up in a 2 bedroom / 1 bathroom apartment. They rarely ever go out or do anything. All their free time are spent in front of the tv.

My boyfriend got out of that lifestyle as early as he could and went to school. He has told me many times that he refuses to be poor or live a (what he calls) poor lifestyle.

In the past, whenever we visited his family I always thought the little sisters were lazy. They always seemed inactive to me. They never did anything like play baseball or volunteer. Always stay at home watching tv.

Well, after I had my conversation with my sister, I realized something. All the things her family are doing and are planning to do in the summer cost money. Sure, her kids are active, social, and always have something to look forward to. But all these things cost money. A lot of money.

I've also come to realize that what the rest of us perceive as laziness in poor people is actually the inevitable result of an upbringing that lacked time and money on the parents' part. Extra-curricular activities cost money. A vacation cost money. Being active cost money. So, it's cheaper to be inactive.

What's worse is this inactiveness inevitably carries over into adulthood and gets passed onto the next generation because that is all they know. Again, it cost money to be active. Being inactive is simply a lot cheaper.

Again, I apologize if what I've said offended anyone. I understand that this is a sensitive and politically incorrect issue I'm tackling. For years, I've seen the conservative side dismiss how poor people act as laziness and liberal side deny this completely. Let's not throw around fox news or msnbc insults PLEASE!
Too long.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
This is just the old "nature vs. nurture" debate, and it looks like you've taken the side of nurture. Personally I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. The genetic component of personality traits is difficult to deny when you set aside political motives. However I also believe growing up in a culture that values hard work and education is a major factor in developing motivation and agency.

Actually the OP is going beyond that and claiming it costs a lot of money to be active when it does not.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Actually the OP is going beyond that and claiming it costs a lot of money to be active when it does not.
Yes, and that would fit the definition of "nurture", would it not?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
Yes, and that would fit the definition of "nurture", would it not?
The OP is defending this nurturing of laziness as being a matter of economic wealth when it is not. A used basketball can be had for 10 bucks or less.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The OP is defending this nurturing of laziness as being a matter of economic wealth when it is not. A used basketball can be had for 10 bucks or less.
I understand, and I agree with that. The stereotypical lazy spoiled rich kid is the counterexample.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies