Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:08 PM

7,529 posts, read 5,781,781 times

Advertisements

Obama: Supreme Court shouldn't even be hearing Obamacare case - Washington Times

This made me laugh. Here you have a President that is being called a Constitutional law Professor with the worst SCOTUS record in the history of the United States. What is hilarious is he can't figure out why all his orders are getting shot down by SCOTUS so his reaction? lash out at the highest court in the land and call them incompetent. For Christ's sake this guy is a complete moron. No wonder our kiddo's don't have a clue about what is going on when the graduate college.

Obama administration has lost two-thirds of Supreme Court cases - Washington Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 11:35 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,312,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Obama: Supreme Court shouldn't even be hearing Obamacare case - Washington Times

This made me laugh. Here you have a President that is being called a Constitutional law Professor with the worst SCOTUS record in the history of the United States. What is hilarious is he can't figure out why all his orders are getting shot down by SCOTUS so his reaction? lash out at the highest court in the land and call them incompetent. For Christ's sake this guy is a complete moron. No wonder our kiddo's don't have a clue about what is going on when the graduate college.

Obama administration has lost two-thirds of Supreme Court cases - Washington Times
I love how people throw that one out there when there is no proof to verify it.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
If they rule against it (they won't), how are the republicans, who tried to stop this fiasco passed in the dead of night, responsible. No, the mess is all yours, dems, all yours.
Because the people losing their healthcare are going to blame the people they see as standing in the way of them having it.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:39 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,800,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
If the supremes trash the ACA, it'll go worse for the Pubs than for the Dems. Accordingly, this GOP majority court will not overturn it.
Why? Because you'll have to pay as much as I am forced to pay?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:41 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,398,364 times
Sen. Ron Johnson (R, WI) has proposed legislation to extend the subsidies until 2017, at which time the whole mess can be reviewed.
Republicans fear they will win ObamaCare court battle | TheHill

I think that is what will probably happen. No matter how ill-conceived the wagon, you do what is necessary to keep it from sailing off of a cliff. Re-design can take place under HHS Sec'y Bobby Jindal in 2017.

I liken this to the situation in Iraq. The previous admin created a mess, but the solution was not precipitous withdrawal and setting the stage for ISIS. A responsible admin or congress has to deal with the mistakes of predecessors in a responsible manner.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:48 PM

Pres Obama is left looking like a bumbler on this.
Obama says King v. Burwell is “easy case” that “probably shouldn’t even have been taken up” - The Washington Post

On one hand he says that the case should not have even been taken by the SCOTUS. On the other hand he recommends a "one sentence provision" to fix the problem. Which is it?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:54 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,800,453 times
One of Obamacare’s authors said in 2012 that states that don’t set up their own Obamacare exchanges can’t offer residents subsidies, throwing heavy weight behind the argument that the billions in subsidies to federally-run exchanges are illegal.

Obamacare Architect Argued Years Ago That States Without Exchanges Can't Get Subsidies

Old 06-10-2015, 12:23 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,110,483 times
I can only wonder if Obama even read ACA before he put it out there. He was a lawyer and a professor, and assuming he actually read it, apparently he missed "established by the state". Can only wonder how many eyes were on these four words and didn't catch it.

Quote:
Opponents of the law claim it allows health insurance premiums to be subsidized only in states that set up exchanges, or online marketplaces. If the court agrees, those subsidies can't continue to flow to residents in at least 34 states that use a federally operated exchange.
A case about four words, with mammoth implications

Now Obama wants to poo-poo the legal wording as a "mistake" and chastises SCOTUS for adhering to the law and their petty interpretation (according to him) of "established by the state". This not something he can fix with a pen by editing ACA at will.

Read the article and see the devastation that could result if Obama loses this one.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:27 AM

Apart from the health care considerations, this is going to be a landmark decision in terms of law. If the Congress can write plain language such as "through an Exchange established by a State” and the President can overturn it because it turns out to be not convenient, we no longer have Article I, Section 1 of the Constitution in place:

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Constitution

All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which will consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.
If Article I, section 1 becomes null and void, we have lost our form of government.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'm not sure what the insurance companies will do if over half of their participants drop out over night. I don't see how they can handle it.
Raise the rates for everyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies