Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:31 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Or people could just pay out of pocket for many of these things. A recent blood sugar screen cost us a grand total of $3 in lab work fees. I see no need to have insurance for something like that. Blood pressure is checked routinely at any doctor visit.
I think the normal cost for a blood sugar screen is around $21 so you are getting quite a bargain. But the point is- if the MD visits were not included at no charge, how many people would be going to the Doc and getting screened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 09:34 AM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,121 times
Make another thread. Liberals and their lies and skewed "facts and agenda driven stats" Costs to US taxpayers has risen and its going to keel going up. At my company everyones policy went up. We have over 3000 employees.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:39 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think the normal cost for a blood sugar screen is around $21 so you are getting quite a bargain. But the point is- if the MD visits were not included at no charge, how many people would be going to the Doc and getting screened?
You can test your blood sugar level yourself. The kits to do so are cheaper than the $21 test, not to mention the added cost of an MD office visit. Test yourself. If there's a problem with the result, THEN see an MD.

http://www.amazon.com/TRUEResult-Blo...se+starter+kit

Personal responsibility will save a LOT of money, making more health care available to more people.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:46 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
And it's only a fraction as good......

Why do you think everyone wants to come here, to our hospitals?

When the government starts controlling healthcare, that will be the end of breakthroughs and innovation.
Except they dont.

What DO we provide really well? Some very high end specialized care. You know, for the 1%'ers.

But our general medical care? Its about average. But at 2X the price....

BTW you do know theres a thriving cross border medical and dental trade....with Americans going over the border for healthcare and medicines.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:54 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Even if it was $21 for many people, it's still not something that needs to be covered by insurance. If insurance was not involved in routine care, I suspect the price of a doctor visit would be more reasonable as well as the doctors would not need as much office staff for dealing with insurance or billing.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You can test your blood sugar level yourself. The kits to do so are cheaper than the $21 test, not to mention the added cost of an MD office visit. Test yourself. If there's a problem with the result, THEN see an MD.

http://www.amazon.com/TRUEResult-Blo...se+starter+kit

Personal responsibility will save a LOT of money, making more health care available to more people.
great, now personal responsibility extends to self administering lab tests and diagnosing yourself..going to write your own prescriptions too?

Old 06-19-2015, 10:01 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
great, now personal responsibility extends to self administering lab tests and diagnosing yourself..going to write your own prescriptions too?
I didn't say diagnosing. I said testing. And millions of diabetics do exactly the same thing, sometimes multiple times a day. They test themselves. And when the results are a problem, THEN they see an MD.

Yes, personal responsibility will go a L-O-N-G way to cutting health care costs and making more health care available to more people.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Even if it was $21 for many people, it's still not something that needs to be covered by insurance. If insurance was not involved in routine care, I suspect the price of a doctor visit would be more reasonable as well as the doctors would not need as much office staff for dealing with insurance or billing.
To be honest if not for health insurance companies all medical procedures would be much, much cheaper- or there would be far fewer doctors & hospitals. That's why I never agreed with the concept of the ACA and advocated for single payer with cost containment as there is under medicare.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
so you answer my response with a new topic? Ok
Wow....

Old 06-25-2015, 01:29 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Agreed, and IMO this is exactly what Chief Justice Roberts is thinking about, and why he will make sure the SC does not strike down the ACA. There's no way he wants his legacy to be the horror stories about all the people who are suffering because the Republicans are acting like children. I predict they will uphold the law by a vote of 6-3, thereby saving the idiot conservatives from themselves. Good news for me and the millions of others who have been helped by the ACA, but the undeserving GOP gets off the hook again.

Reading through this old thread, I see that you hit the jackpot. Well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies