Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:01 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times

Advertisements

Could Obama's healthcare be gone?

Three weeks before an expected Supreme Court ruling that could strike down Obamacare subsidies for 6.4 million Americans, President Barack Obama and Republican foes began to blame each other for the possible damage.

Read more: Obama and GOP amp up rhetoric as Supreme Court nears Obamacare decision - Jennifer Haberkorn and Sarah Wheaton - POLITICO

So, who will this effect: Mostly the states who don't have the healthcare exchange.
Here is a map...
If Supreme Court rules against Obamacare, few states are ready for the fallout - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 10:20 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
If the supremes trash the ACA, it'll go worse for the Pubs than for the Dems. Accordingly, this GOP majority court will not overturn it.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
If the supremes trash the ACA, it'll go worse for the Pubs than for the Dems. Accordingly, this GOP majority court will not overturn it.
Yea, that'a pretty much what I was thinking. How could they take this opportunity when the backlash would be so bad.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:29 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,748 times
The Democrats specifically wrote the bill to only allow subsidies in states with the exchanges--to force the states to participate whether they could afford to or not.

The Democrats (and the President) then did this weird--and probably not legal--end run to allow people in all states to get the subsidies even though that's not how the law was passed.

But if the law--as written--is upheld by the Court, it will be the Republicans fault?

If it's not upheld, what do the Democrats plan to do to fix their law?

Old 06-09-2015, 10:30 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Could Obama's healthcare be gone?

Three weeks before an expected Supreme Court ruling that could strike down Obamacare subsidies for 6.4 million Americans, President Barack Obama and Republican foes began to blame each other for the possible damage.

Read more: Obama and GOP amp up rhetoric as Supreme Court nears Obamacare decision - Jennifer Haberkorn and Sarah Wheaton - POLITICO

So, who will this effect: Mostly the states who don't have the healthcare exchange.
Here is a map...
If Supreme Court rules against Obamacare, few states are ready for the fallout - LA Times

I liked when BHO used the term "If SCOTUS rules against the government".
SCOTUS is one of the three branches of government, Mr President.
SCOTUS is ruling against the executive branch, balance of powers in action. Most people have either forgotten why there are three branches of government or are totally ignorant of the fact.
The legislative and judicial branches need to get the executive back in line for they allowed it to go mad with power.

Last edited by armory; 06-09-2015 at 10:45 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
The Democrats specifically wrote the bill to only allow subsidies in states with the exchanges--to force the states to participate whether they could afford to or not.

The Democrats (and the President) then did this weird--and probably not legal--end run to allow people in all states to get the subsidies even though that's not how the law was passed.

But if the law--as written--is upheld by the Court, it will be the Republicans fault?

If it's not upheld, what do the Democrats plan to do to fix their law?
I doubt they will do anything to fix this mess, but, the republicans are in a tough spot as well. I hate them all personally. I think less is more.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:44 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,522,129 times
If they rule against it (they won't), how are the republicans, who tried to stop this fiasco passed in the dead of night, responsible. No, the mess is all yours, dems, all yours.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:52 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,282,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
If they rule against it (they won't), how are the republicans, who tried to stop this fiasco passed in the dead of night, responsible. No, the mess is all yours, dems, all yours.
You are not seeing the forest for the trees. The VOCAL Republican's were against it. The health insurance companies are all run by Republicans even in MA.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
That's the thing, they won't. I almost wish they would but I don't want anyone to suffer. I wish it never passed in the first place. I think it's been a disaster from the get go personally. I've had a terrible time with it. But......so many people are relying on those checks to help them afford this sheet that if it falls down from this point it will indeed be staggering.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
You are not seeing the forest for the trees. The VOCAL Republican's were against it. The health insurance companies are all run by Republicans even in MA.
I'm not sure what the insurance companies will do if over half of their participants drop out over night. I don't see how they can handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies