Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 11:16 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Please. a 3-8% increase before Obamacare? You're just pulling stuff out...and thats a great example of it.
You again are wrong and clueless. I'm the kind that never used it and had few increase.

I've been writing my personal check every month for the last 20 years for my Insurance.
I know what it's cost me every month / year.

I had a damn fine policy and did not need to be told it was "Substandard".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
It's.gonna be lose/lose for the Republicans when this decision comes out.

The majority of the US still do not like or support the law.

Tell this lie enough times and maybe other Democrats will believe you. Reasonable people will not.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:20 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Poor and marginalized people have VERY high birth rates. Period. It's true the world over, and it's been true for all of human history. I suspect a strong biological basis for that.

It's just one of several human/biological dynamics that refuse to conform to what we modern Americans assume that a proper society is and/or should be. Best I can tell there IS no easy fix. We can take away all welfare, and they will live in squalor- and have even MORE kids. Or we can increase welfare and it will NEVER be enough.

I have no easy answers. But I won't support having our kids grow up hungry, uneducated, and without healthcare just so Charles Koch can hoard another billion$.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:25 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The majority of the US still do not like or support the law.

Tell this lie enough times and maybe other Democrats will believe you. Reasonable people will not.
I'm not gonna waste nuance on somebody who takes that poll at face value. I'll just say that Obama was EASILY reelected. And it the court rules against Obamacare here... you just watch and see what happens. It'll make Occupy Wall Street look like a tailgate party.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:31 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They can't afford to support and raise a child, so why? They already get free (Medicaid) or low-cost (county health department or slding fee clinics) birth control.
Birth control isn't 100% effective unless you sterilize them. As for why, they aren't like you who look into costs before doing action. Most people don't take opportunity costs into any action whether it is pregnancy, purchases, etc.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:33 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Quote:
I'm not gonna waste nuance on somebody who takes that poll at face value. I'll just say that Obama was EASILY reelected. And it the court rules against Obamacare here... you just watch and see what happens. It'll make Occupy Wall Street look like a tailgate party.
It's because once entitlements programs become in effect. It's very hard to take free stuff away from people.

But you fail to see the big picture. Entitlement programs get bigger and bigger.

You fail to understand that things like Medicaid Expansion will kill state budgets in the future. Do you even know how Medicaid is funded? It's usually a 55/45 split between Feds/states. If you think the Feds will continue 90/10 split after 2020 than I got some swamp land to sell you in Florida.

Same thing with these subsidies. Already Dems want to make subsides even more generous.

You want to keep raising taxes again?

And Obama was easily re elected because he was smart enough to only make the feel good parts of the aca effective (kids no pre existing conditions, letting kids stay on parents till age 26) effective prior to his 2012 re election.

There is a reason Obama delayed the real ACA exchanges and until 2014. It's because he would have suffered a huge backlash if he tried to roll the ACA main component during the 2012 election season. You gotta be an idiot not to see why the main components of the ACA were not going to take effect until after the election.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:36 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
It's because once entitlements programs become in effect. It's very hard to take free stuff away from people.

But you fail to see the big picture. Entitlement programs get bigger and bigger.

You fail to understand that things like Medicaid Expansion will kill state budgets in the future. Do you even know how Medicaid is funded? It's usually a 55/45 split between Feds/states. If you think the Feds will continue 90/10 split after 2020 than I got some swamp land to sell you in Florida.

Same thing with these subsidies. Already Dems want to make subsides even more generous.

You want to keep raising taxes again?

And Obama was easily re elected because he was smart enough to only make the feel good parts of the aca effective (kids no pre existing conditions, letting kids stay on parents till age 26) effective prior to his 2012 re election.

There is a reason Obama delayed the real ACA exchanges and until 2014. It's because he would have suffered a huge backlash if he tried to roll the ACA main component during the 2012 election season. You gotta be an idiot not to see why the main components of the ACA were not going to take effect until after the election.
Let's just say that after 2020 the Feds no longer paid 90% of expanded medicaid, so how is that an excuse for states not to implement it until that happens? Oh...never mind, it's not about common sense- it's about partisan politics

Old 06-14-2015, 11:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Poor and marginalized people have VERY high birth rates. Period. It's true the world over, and it's been true for all of human history. I suspect a strong biological basis for that.

It's just one of several human/biological dynamics that refuse to conform to what we modern Americans assume that a proper society is and/or should be. Best I can tell there IS no easy fix. We can take away all welfare, and they will live in squalor- and have even MORE kids. Or we can increase welfare and it will NEVER be enough.

I have no easy answers. But I won't support having our kids grow up hungry, uneducated, and without healthcare just so Charles Koch can hoard another billion$.
And yet you do. Millions are without health care and Obamacare is not going to fix that. The rich have done historically well during the same time period that Obamacare has been in effect also. All the Koch brothers have to do is buy up a few insurance companies and the good times will continue to roll.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Let's just say that after 2020 the Feds no longer paid 90% of expanded medicaid, so how is that an excuse for states not to implement it until that happens?
Simply..... It's like the Crack dealer who gives you the first or second score. Get you hooked and you'll pay whatever the cost is in the future.

Just watch what happen to the States when the Feds withdraw the Medicare funding crack. There will be too many addicted and the states will have to figure out where the money comes in.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:01 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Could Obama's healthcare be gone?

Three weeks before an expected Supreme Court ruling that could strike down Obamacare subsidies for 6.4 million Americans, President Barack Obama and Republican foes began to blame each other for the possible damage.

Read more: Obama and GOP amp up rhetoric as Supreme Court nears Obamacare decision - Jennifer Haberkorn and Sarah Wheaton - POLITICO

So, who will this effect: Mostly the states who don't have the healthcare exchange.
Here is a map...
If Supreme Court rules against Obamacare, few states are ready for the fallout - LA Times
Obama Care or the ACA will not be gone and if anything will be strengthened regardless of what the Supreme Court choses for their ruling isn't to strike down the law but to provide a clarification of the what the law means ,

If they chose the narrow intent based on the wording of the law.

(1) It won't change the need to buy health insurance but just eliminate the subsidy to those Americans unlucky to live in states that have failed or refused to form a state exchange and opted to require their states citizens buy policies available to them on the national (Federal Gov). exchange. The ruling would bar the Federal gov from providing subsidies to people buying their insurance Federally run exchange. The ruling would hurt those people in states that have been resisting the ACA (like Texas or Oklahoma) . Actually this is good politically for the Democrats since most of those who will be punished by losing their subsidies to offset insurance premium costs will be those poor whites usually voting Republican. Hopefully it will put pressure on those Red states to get with the ACA program or they will be costing their voters hundreds or thousands of dollars every month when they pony up to pay the health insurance bill. Another observation is it will cut the HHS bill for subsidy payments and free up or eliminate some of that deficit spending and might even cut enough Federal spending to declare yet another victory in the war against the deficit.

and

(2) It might mean millions more Americans (mostly in Red states) will now have to pay that tax penalty for thinking they can just duck buying health insurance. At 2,500 dollars this adjustment to their tax bill might wipe out their little Form 1040 tax windfall from over withholding on their Federal tax payments. Again all the up side goes to the Feds who will also count this as a tax windfall and apply it to deficit reduction. A hundred billion here or their and soon we will run a budget surplus just like Slick Willy did in FY'00 and '01.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies