Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 07:57 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I tend to agree that one should not meekly accept what a single manager of a CVS pharmacy says.

Here are two articles about why CVS stopped selling cigarettes:

How Obamacare Got CVS to Stop Selling Cigarettes - The New Yorker

Why CVS Stopped Selling Cigarettes - Business Insider

Plus, I just happened to see in the news this morning that CVS is going to buy out Target's pharmacy business:

CVS buying Target's pharmacy business for $1.9 billion - Business Insider

Now, it does make sense that a company, intent on providing a full range of health care (beyond just medications, as stated in the first two articles) would stop selling cigarettes. Oddly enough, most hospitals also do not sell cigarettes.

I do use CVS pharmacy, although I rarely purchase anything else in the store. Perhaps the prices have gone up some, although since my CVS has a Walmart down the street, and a Walgreens directly across the street, I imagine mine has remained competitive.
If they want to become a health care clinic, why are they still selling CANDY? How does that promote good health?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 08:06 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
If they want to become a health care clinic, why are they still selling CANDY? How does that promote good health?
I suppose they offer health services because they see an economic opportunity. Why else?

As for the candy, you'll have to ask them, not me. It's their business decision.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:18 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
During a conference call, CEO Larry Merlo told financial analysts what impact the lack of cigarette sales put on the bottom line.

“The impact of the tobacco exit was [an eight percent loss], and that’s about [one percent] less than we anticipated. So less than four months into it, but we are very pleased with the results,” said Merlo.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:23 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
During a conference call, CEO Larry Merlo told financial analysts what impact the lack of cigarette sales put on the bottom line.

“The impact of the tobacco exit was [an eight percent loss], and that’s about [one percent] less than we anticipated. So less than four months into it, but we are very pleased with the results,” said Merlo.
And with this actual fact, the thread should end and save the OP any more embarassment.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:26 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And with this actual fact, the thread should end and save the OP any more embarassment.
I notice the OP has not shown up for some time!

Old 06-15-2015, 08:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
So you can pick up a soda, bag of chips and a few candy bars as you make your way to the back of the store where their health services are.

There's a reason why the health part is in the back. It's marketing.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:51 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:

could not believe their hike in prices
across the board.. there is no end in sight. I am sticker shocked evertime I go shopping.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:54 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I went into CVS this morning, to pick up a few items, and couldn't not believe their hike in prices.
I told the manager, I refuse to pay that much, and he told me, since CVS stopped selling cigarettes, all their prices went up and to boot, and get this...
Our Government, used our tax money, to pay CVS, $X amount of dollars per year to do so?

Can you imagine? Talk about Corrupt, and another reason, why I'm sick and tired of the power government has!

Now, let me warn you now, this is not a thread to discuss if you approve of smoking or not, nor is this a thread to bash any political party...

This is a thread to discuss how our government has become so powerful, that they have the audacity to utilize our hard earned tax dollars, to bribe an establishment to not sell cigs....and if this is the case, what else has government done?

Doesn't this make you all ask yourselves questions about the corruption going on in government?
No. I would go across the street to Walgreens. I think it's pretty funny you took the time to tell a manager that you refused to pay that much, as if he cared.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I went into CVS this morning, to pick up a few items, and couldn't not believe their hike in prices.
I told the manager, I refuse to pay that much, and he told me, since CVS stopped selling cigarettes, all their prices went up and to boot, and get this...
Our Government, used our tax money, to pay CVS, $X amount of dollars per year to do so?

Can you imagine? Talk about Corrupt, and another reason, why I'm sick and tired of the power government has!

Now, let me warn you now, this is not a thread to discuss if you approve of smoking or not, nor is this a thread to bash any political party...

This is a thread to discuss how our government has become so powerful, that they have the audacity to utilize our hard earned tax dollars, to bribe an establishment to not sell cigs....and if this is the case, what else has government done?

Doesn't this make you all ask yourselves questions about the corruption going on in government?
This CVS manager is mistaken And his/her comment makes no sense.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This CVS manager is mistaken And his/her comment makes no sense.
Sure it does. Deflection and shuffling of blame.

CVS is more expensive than the others and all drug stores are more expensive then the pharmacy and drug section of the big box and supermarket stores.

A prescription filled at the local supermarket for me is cheaper than getting it at CVS with my CVS insurance card. I don't pay for that insurance card so it doesn't matter a hoot to me.

This is not new news at all except for those that don't pay attention to prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies