Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 10:49 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What am I emotionally perturbed by?

Why are you assuming I am emotional and not rational? Because I'm saying something you disagree with?

By the idea that there is an equivalency

Old 06-16-2015, 10:51 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Where did you get age 5 ?
She was 16 when her parents adopted those boys that are Black.

The 5 years occurred after college. I said that I read that it took her 5 years to morph into her Blackness.
Her Today Show interview.

bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
People who believe "transracial" can be a thing at the same level as "transgender" must believe that there is a biological difference between the races as there is between the genders. In other words, they're racists.

Really. So since it is acknowledged that gene expression varies between black and white people, and between white and Asian people, and between Asian and black people - that is racist? Why do you think a white person looks different from an Asian person if not for a biological difference. You think it is purely a sociological construct? That the difference falls away if we stop believing it?

One problem here is that the term "race" is used to cover a multitude of meanings, when its to one's advantage. But not when its to one's disadvantage.

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
So if every rich white kid who acts like a wigger an African American too?

Enough is enough. Transgendered people should be mad that this transracial circus is actually being considered as a real thing.
So what is the difference between the transracial circus and the transgendered circus? Both examples of people wanting to be what they are not. One is catered to as being politically correct, the other is not. Makes no sense to me.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:52 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
People who believe "transracial" can be a thing at the same level as "transgender" must believe that there is a biological difference between the races as there is between the genders. In other words, they're racists.
Or maybe we believe it because we've personally experienced it. What a transgender person feels to be his/her own individual "truth" is no more valid than anyone else's. If Bruce Jenner is a woman, I'm white.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Her Today Show interview.
Oh. I got the 5 years from an article that interviewed her brother.
He said he started noticing changes when he went to visit her out west. She had already dropped the parents by then.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:57 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Transgendered people do not own the trans theory. Now it looks like they want to lock down their group. Who are they to say you can't be trans race? Just because kids might not feel it by a certain age that does not mean it is not legit. Will there be an age cap for transgendered people to come out?

Old 06-16-2015, 10:59 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
There are biological differences. That's not racist, it's fact. That's why some drugs work better for people of different races.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:03 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
I once had a friend who confided in me that he had been living a lie the entire time he knew me. I was fully expecting him to tell me he was gay and I was totally prepared to accept that and not let it affect our friendship. I was going to tell him it was fine and I suspected all along anyway and it wouldn't change a thing. But the reality was a lot worse. He told me that he was never a Red Sox fan and that for his entire life he has been a Yankees fan and he needed to get it out in the open. His father was a Yankees fan, his father's father was a Yankees fan and he was proud to be a Yankees fan himself. Then he took off his Red Sox hat, put on his Yankees hat and expected me to act like nothing had changed. I never spoke to him again.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:07 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
By the idea that there is an equivalency
I believe the OP and those who agree with this thread have the idea that there is an equivalency. "Just as logical as" insinuates equivalency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Really. So since it is acknowledged that gene expression varies between black and white people, and between white and Asian people, and between Asian and black people - that is racist?

One problem here is that the term "race" is used to cover a multitude of meanings, when its to one's advantage. But not when its to one's disadvantage.
There is a biological difference between males and females, does that not make us all human? We are all from the same species, no matter our color, gender, or anything else. There is no difference between us. Black people are just as human as white people. White people are just as human as Asian people. Gene variations don't prove we are biologically different. They prove we are diverse. OTOH, the difference in hormones and sex organs makes the genders very different at a whole other level than small differences between races and ethnicities. Human men of all races are made up of the same "stuff." Human females of all races are made up of the same "stuff." This is the difference.

The idea of race is a social construct. Races exist, the physical differences exist, but discerning people from another because of them was an idea created by people themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Or maybe we believe it because we've personally experienced it. What a transgender person feels to be his/her own individual "truth" is no more valid than anyone else's. If Bruce Jenner is a woman, I'm white.
Personally experienced what?

Anyone who identifies with another race is identifying with another culture or an idea, not the race itself. People who identify with another gender are the result of a biological error. Something went wrong. If a poor white kid grew up in a neighborhood of poor black kids, he may identify more with those black kids and their cultures and upbringing because that is what he is used to. If a wealthy black kid grew up in a neighborhood full of wealthy whites, he will identify more with middle class white people because that is how he was raised. This is despite cultural stereotypes and norms. That rich black kid will probably feel awkward in a poor black inner city neighborhood. That poor white kid will feel awkward in a neighborhood of gated mansions owned by white people. If a transgender boy (who feels like a girl inside) grew up in a neighborhood of boys, played with them, learned with them, interacted with them, he will still feel like he is supposed to be a girl. That's the difference.

What people are discussing here is not identifying with a different race, but identifying with a specific culture or preconceived idea of that race. I don't know why Rachel is pretending to be black. I know I don't trust her reasons though, since she lied about everything else. If someone came up to me, a white woman who chooses to self-identify as black, and told me she "feels" black because she grew up surrounded by black people and has experienced their culture and feels comfortable with it, I would understand that. If she told me she identities as black because she married a black man and has biracial kids who look black, I would understand that. If she told me that she identifies as black and then goes on to tell me a series of lies about her past, vilifying white people in a web of lies, telling stories that never happened, I would call BS on that pretty quickly and question her motives.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 06-16-2015 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies