Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 08:02 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Obama is right. This country is one that was built upon white supremacist, racist ideologies and for the most part those ideologies of superiority are still in effect today.

I don't see how any of you even think that he himself is a racist. He has never said that whites were inferior to black. he has never exhibited a hate for whites (which would be stupid since he is half white lol) and has never exhibited any sort of racist views of whites or any other non-black persons since he began his presidency.

What I see going on are those people who subconsciously (some consciously) adhere to the ideology of white supermacy and black inferiority and they are upset that Obama challenges that ideology. They are threatened and like a threatened, cornered animal, they many times lash out with violence even if someone is trying to guide or help them to a better place.

On the OP, Mr. Obama's meeting with the police officer and Skip Gates was not racist. He didn't lambast white people. It was a meeting of reconciliation. I really don't see how any of you could see it as racist and that has always been odd IMO.

On events involving the deaths of unarmed black teenagers, if he is asked and speaks his opinons, Obama is not a racist. He didn't lambast white people or state that he hated you. I also don't get where you see this from him.

In summation, again, when I see these sorts of meanderings, I see people upset that their black inferiority ideologies are challenged.

Nothing anyone can say about Obama can paint him as a racist of whites. Not his church attendance not his presidency nor his words on any recent, high profile news events.

Our nation does still have racism. Those that deny it are kidding themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
At what point did we drop racial discrimination and go right to racism ?

Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another.
Racial discrimination is unequal treatment due to your skin color.

Constant use of the word racism has diluted it's true meaning.
I'm in Title 1 schools that have a majority of Black students.
I've been called racist by 11 year olds when I ask them to be quiet.
Why am I called racist ? Well it's simple..I'm White and they are Black. That is their reasoning as said by them to me.

Is this the future society you want ? Because this is what is happening.
Racist is being flung around at every turn these days.

I agree that racism is being used too much today. Everyone feels that they are discriminated against, even whites feel they are the targets of racism by Obama.

But just wanted to mention, that I am black and I have been accused by black (and white, but talking about blacks here) contractors of being racist against them and being a "puppet" of discrimination lol.

Similar to the 11 year old you mention, when I tell them something must be done for government contracting, some have said similar things to me indicating that what I want is racist or discriminatory. I will share that I always told them that "no, it would be racist of me to think that you can't do _____ because you are black/an MBE. I think you are extremely capable of doing ______ ."

In your situation, I would tell the 11 year old that it would be racist of me to think that he/she could not control themselves and stop talking or at least raise his/her hand before he/she spoke. I think all kids are capable of being quiet for a small amount of time.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Obama is right. This country is one that was built upon white supremacist, racist ideologies and for the most part those ideologies of superiority are still in effect today.

I don't see how any of you even think that he himself is a racist.
Then, you're being willfully blind.

I gave an example from 1995. His behavior as a presidential candidate and now as president hasn't changed one iota from his 1995 explicit expression of racism.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree that racism is being used too much today. Everyone feels that they are discriminated against, even whites feel they are the targets of racism by Obama.

But just wanted to mention, that I am black and I have been accused by black (and white, but talking about blacks here) contractors of being racist against them and being a "puppet" of discrimination lol.

Similar to the 11 year old you mention, when I tell them something must be done for government contracting, some have said similar things to me indicating that what I want is racist or discriminatory. I will share that I always told them that "no, it would be racist of me to think that you can't do _____ because you are black/an MBE. I think you are extremely capable of doing ______ ."

In your situation, I would tell the 11 year old that it would be racist of me to think that he/she could not control themselves and stop talking or at least raise his/her hand before he/she spoke. I think all kids are capable of being quiet for a small amount of time.
11 year olds do not know the true meaning of racist. They don't even know the true meaning of discrimination. Anything White vs Black is "racism".

This is how people want to raise their children ? It's hard enough working in Title 1 schools without having to tiptoe around issues like this with children that have no clue as to the true meaning of that word.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:54 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,843,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Rev. Wright himself chose Black Liberation Theology as Trinity Church's vision. I already posted that info. Read the beliefs of Black Liberation Theology in its founder's own words:
There's no way to deny the blatantly overt anti-White racism expressed in those beliefs.
I have read several of Dr. Cone's books.

You clearly don't understand Black Liberation Theology. As an example, do know that according to Dr. Cone that references to white and whiteness are not necessarily references to white skinned people?

Why would a minister who according to you is an anti-White racist, remain a member of the predominately white UCC? Rev. Wright and Trinity UCC could have withdrawn from the UCC anytime they wanted. The assets of Trinity UCC are theirs not the denominations.

So in their expression of Trinity's anti-White racism they have supported and participated in the functioning of a predominately white denomination. Does that make sense to you?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:11 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,843,429 times
Quote:
At what point did we drop racial discrimination and go right to racism ?

Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another.
Racial discrimination is unequal treatment due to your skin color.

Constant use of the word racism has diluted it's true meaning.
I'm in Title 1 schools that have a majority of Black students.
I've been called racist by 11 year olds when I ask them to be quiet.
Why am I called racist ? Well it's simple..I'm White and they are Black. That is their reasoning as said by them to me.

Is this the future society you want ? Because this is what is happening.
Racist is being flung around at every turn these days.
I agree that the term racism is often used in ways that don't match the dictionary definition. However, some racial discrimination is based on the belief one race is superior to another. As an example, if you are only hiring people of a particular race because you believe they are superior workers then that is racism.

My wife works in a Title 1 school that serves one of the poorest neighborhoods in the San Francisco Bay Area. I could provide a lot of anecdotal stories based on what she has experienced. She had one parent accuse her of being a racist on the first day of school. However, by the end of the year, that very same parent was recommending to other parents that they try get their kid into her class for the next year. Bottom line, she has experienced and/or seen both real racism and imagined racism.

Real racism will not go away by ignoring it.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I agree that the term racism is often used in ways that don't match the dictionary definition. However, some racial discrimination is based on the belief one race is superior to another. As an example, if you are only hiring people of a particular race because you believe they are superior workers then that is racism.

My wife works in a Title 1 school that serves one of the poorest neighborhoods in the San Francisco Bay Area. I could provide a lot of anecdotal stories based on what she has experienced. She had one parent accuse her of being a racist on the first day of school. However, by the end of the year, that very same parent was recommending to other parents that they try get their kid into her class for the next year. Bottom line, she has experienced and/or seen both real racism and imagined racism.

Real racism will not go away by ignoring it.
Nor will it by accusing anyone with a different skin color than you as being a racist.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then, you're being willfully blind.

I gave an example from 1995. His behavior as a presidential candidate and now as president hasn't changed one iota from his 1995 explicit expression of racism.
I didn't see your info. And I doubt that it states that he feels whites are inferior to other types of people in this country.

That would mean he is racist against white people. He has never said anything even close to that.

Quote:
11 year olds do not know the true meaning of racist. They don't even know the true meaning of discrimination. Anything White vs Black is "racism".

This is how people want to raise their children ? It's hard enough working in Title 1 schools without having to tiptoe around issues like this with children that have no clue as to the true meaning of that word.

You should not downplay the cognitive abilities of 11 year olds.

My son is 13 and knows what racism is and he knew when he was 11.

You shouldn't tip toe around any issues at all. You are a teacher and therefore can teach them what racism truly is or is not.

As a black parent, I don't raise my black children to think that anything black vs white is "racist." But my older child does indeed know what racism is and about how racism has been in this country and continues to be a factor in our society. As a parent, it is my duty to educate him on this sort of topic due to him being a black male and having to endure negative associations based upon that fact in his life. I want it come from me first rather than he be confronted in the "real world" and then be surprised and angered by it.

But IMO, the 11 year old was just trying to get you to be quiet. LOL. Instead of taking it that way, you seem to have taken it way too seriously. Kids say stuff to teachers and parents in an effort to get away with doing something that they want to do that they shouldn't be doing or that is not appropriate at a specific period of time. Not taking the stuff kids say to you personally or putting their tactics off on bad parenting or a race issue would be a good start since trying to get their way is normal kid behavior.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:54 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Do you really think back in the days when the KKK was first formed that there was an ounce of difference between a southern Democrat and a southern Republican when it came to their attitudes on race? .
Yes.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:11 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Do you really think back in the days when the KKK was first formed that there was an ounce of difference between a southern Democrat and a southern Republican when it came to their attitudes on race?
Founded in 1866, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) extended into almost every southern state by 1870 and became a vehicle for white southern resistance to the Republican Party’s Reconstruction-era policies aimed at establishing political and economic equality for blacks. Its members waged an underground campaign of intimidation and violence directed at white and black Republican leaders. Though Congress passed legislation designed to curb Klan terrorism, the organization saw its primary goal–the reestablishment of white supremacy–fulfilled through Democratic victories in state legislatures across the South in the 1870s.

Ku Klux Klan - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

And today, the KKK meets in many places outside the South, including Colorado, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Montana, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York.

The Complete List of American Cities Where the KKK Is Known to Operate - Mic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies