Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 04:09 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,528,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then you aren't looking hard enough.
Law makers today are calling for the removal of Confederate statues.

And I won't answer your little poll question.
Trying to change history via purge shows how shallow-minded people are.

It's a piece of cloth with history behind it like any other flag.

What if Roof had embraced the US Flag rather than the Confederate flag ?
Would people be calling for the US Flag to be taken down ?
No, because the confederate flag has been a symbol of white supremacist racist hate groups for some time now and the US flag has not. Also, the US flag is the active flag of our country, and the Confederate flag has been retired for 150 years, after falling in defeat in battle.

I have no desire to change history. And I do not think that is what the people objecting to this flag, including the racist, race-baiting left, are doing either. This flag has become a banner for white supremacist racism and race hatred, to the extent that it was used by Dylann Roof as a symbol that he associated his racist motives for murdering these people with.

That was of course not the first negative historical event connected with this flag. The first that I am aware of was the South's succession from the union, which was substantially motivated by their defense of the institution of slavery, a motive which I hope all of us now hold in contempt. And then there is the broader embrace of this flag by racist hate groups such as the Democrat-founded and sustained Klu Klux Klan, and now the actions of the murderous, racist thug Dylann Roof.

I have tried to answer your questions. Will you please try to answer mine?
  1. But really, after 150 years, isn't it time to move on and let it go. I say yes. What do you say?
  2. Do you believe that these elected officials should be discouraged from engaging in these debates and policy decisions if that is what they believe is in the best interest of their states and their constituents? Because that is exactly what appears to be happening. Just that and nothing really more.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:23 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I can't blame you for thinking this way, Green.

I have couple of friends who fly that flag. They are REALLY good people and I am not lying.

I cannot speak for all southerners of course, but I know my friends. The more northerners talk crap about southerners, the more pride they seem to have. They tell me there are a lot of good down south, and they (the ones who fly that flag) are not all racists. Matter of fact, they don't have to tell me this, I know.

I know quite a few people who had a sticker of confederate flag on their trucks, it was really just the rebel vibe they like. Nothing more, nothing less.
Quote:
No, you cannot be a good person who is still a racist. See? This is where we differ.

I am German/Irish/Japanese/Hawaiian, if they are racists, why are they such good friends with me? I've known these people for over 10 something years.

By no means, am I suggesting everybody flies that flag is not racist, of course many of them are. But a lot of people who fly that flag are not racists. It is ALL I am saying.

There is one thing to understand. A person can have negative views of one race, and be friends with people of other races. I've seen this first hand. There are people whose parents were quite alright with interracial dating, as long as it didn't involve Black men.

One evidence of this is on these threads. There are people who will moan and complaint about Blacks and "how bad they are" and have next to nothing bad to say about other ethnicities. I've seen this.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:32 PM

15,867 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
No, you cannot be a good person who is still a racist. See? This is where we differ.

I am German/Irish/Japanese/Hawaiian, if they are racists, why are they such good friends with me? I've known these people for over 10 something years.

By no means, am I suggesting everybody flies that flag is not racist, of course many of them are. But a lot of people who fly that flag are not racists. It is ALL I am saying.
To quote one of my favorite musicals, "Everyone's a little bit racist." It comes in degrees. Supporting a Confederate flag and saying ********* to those who have learned to fear those who promote the flag (which include myself, as a Jewish woman whose family faced a lot of backlash in the rural South) because "heritage" is racist. Shutting down minority opinions because you can't understand where they come from and won't take a moment to listen is racist. Again, supporting the flag and then saying you're not racist is also wildly and willfully ignorant of historical context, but racism and willful ignorance often go hand in hand.

I can't tell you why they're friends with you. Even the shooter had no problem with East Asians and saw them as an ally in his manifesto. I grew up with people who were openly racist against blacks and not too fond of Jews either who PROUDLY proclaimed that their great-great-great grandmother was Cherokee.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:33 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is one thing to understand. A person can have negative views of one race, and be friends with people of other races. I've seen this first hand. There are people whose parents were quite alright with interracial dating, as long as it didn't involve Black men.

One evidence of this is on these threads. There are people who will moan and complaint about Blacks and "how bad they are" and have next to nothing bad to say about other ethnicities. I've seen this.
green, I understand what you are saying. But my friends are really not like that. They have black friends.

I am nothing but another minority. I am not better than anybody. Trust me, if my friends are racist in anyway, I won't be friends with them. This much I do know.

My friends don't fly this flag all the time, they only fly it when somebody **** them off. Matter of fact, I think they just want to make a statement. They are not racists..

Old 06-23-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

But but but "good blacks."

Old 06-23-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
green, I understand what you are saying. But my friends are really not like that. They have black friends.

I am nothing but another minority. I am not better than anybody. Trust me, if my friends are racist in anyway, I won't be friends with them. This much I do know.

My friends don't fly this flag all the time, they only fly it when somebody **** them off. Matter of fact, I think they just want to make a statement more than anything.
You can be racist and still have friends in the group who you are prejudiced against. Not everyone is racist with a capital K.

The mere fact that you acknowledge that they only fly the flag when they "want to make a statement" is telling. What statement are they making when they wave the battle flag of a losing army that was resurrected as a symbol by the KKK and other supremacist groups as a response to reconstruction? What statement are they making waving a flag that was officially brought onto state grounds in the 1950s and 60s as a response to Brown v Board of Education and the Civil Rights Movement?

Old 06-23-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
To quote one of my favorite musicals, "Everyone's a little bit racist." It comes in degrees. Supporting a Confederate flag and saying ********* to those who have learned to fear those who promote the flag (which include myself, as a Jewish woman whose family faced a lot of backlash in the rural South) because "heritage" is racist. Shutting down minority opinions because you can't understand where they come from and won't take a moment to listen is racist. Again, supporting the flag and then saying you're not racist is also wildly and willfully ignorant of historical context, but racism and willful ignorance often go hand in hand.

I can't tell you why they're friends with you. Even the shooter had no problem with East Asians and saw them as an ally in his manifesto. I grew up with people who were openly racist against blacks and not too fond of Jews either who PROUDLY proclaimed that their great-great-great grandmother was Cherokee.
I have one white male friend who is a lawyer, he calls my other friend "uncivilized" redneck. I think when the lawyer friend is around, my other friend from the south will display that flag just to **** him off.

I think people think too much about this whole "race" thing.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:37 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,528,817 times
Quote:
I have one white male friend who is a lawyer, he calls my other friend "uncivilized" redneck. I think when the lawyer friend is around, my other friend from the south will display that flag just to **** him off.

Your lawyer friend sounds like a bigot in his own right.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:

You think that because it doesn't impact you. Dismissing others' very real and legitimate concerns because you can't understand based on your lived experience is... wait for it... racist. Don't invalidate what people of color are telling you and they are overwhelmingly telling you that it is offensive.

And I'll tell you - it's offensive. It's scary. As a Jew who grew up in the rural south, it was a threat. Pure and simple.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Your lawyer friend sounds like a bigot in his own right.
I think so too. Think about it, if people think I was uncivilized, a redneck, stupid, racist, uneducated, Whiskey Tango, I would be pissed too.. It is human nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies