Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 06:17 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,390,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
It sucks when you have s****y neighbors! Sounds like that dude needs knocked on his a**! However; given the circumstances, and the fact that he sounds like a real tool, I'd let him make the first move!

This is America. We don't segregate by race anymore. We segregate by income. Why don't you move next to better neigbors?

Old 06-24-2015, 06:32 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
This is America. We don't segregate by race anymore. We segregate by income. Why don't you move next to better neigbors?
Blame the victim. That's nice of you. There are jerks, bullies and racists in all income levels and in all neighborhoods. Donald Trump is proof of that.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:38 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post

Yes there's racists that like to wave the Confederate flag, but having lived in the South, its often seen as a symbol of independence and rebellion, a symbol recognizing the sacrifice of hundreds of thousands of soldiers.
Out of how many Blacks throughout the USA and in the South as well?

8 things you didn't know about the Confederate flag

According to this poll, African-Americans who were polled were more likely to show negative feelings towards the Confederate flag. Those pictures do not negate the fact that the majority of Blacks I've been around do not like that flag.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post

I was responding to another poster who had issues with neighbors. My neighors on the other hand are great. We hang out all of the time. In fact, now that my patio is cleaned up and getting in order, I'm planning a cookout on the weekend of the 4th in which I plan on inviting a few of them for some burgers and dogs.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
green, I understand what you are saying. But my friends are really not like that. They have black friends.

I am nothing but another minority. I am not better than anybody. Trust me, if my friends are racist in anyway, I won't be friends with them. This much I do know.

My friends don't fly this flag all the time, they only fly it when somebody **** them off. Matter of fact, I think they just want to make a statement. They are not racists..
Well, here is a question I think should be asked. Do they know the reason why the Southern states wanted to secede? How much do they know about the Civil War?

Old 06-24-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You can be racist and still have friends in the group who you are prejudiced against. Not everyone is racist with a capital K.

The mere fact that you acknowledge that they only fly the flag when they "want to make a statement" is telling. What statement are they making when they wave the battle flag of a losing army that was resurrected as a symbol by the KKK and other supremacist groups as a response to reconstruction? What statement are they making waving a flag that was officially brought onto state grounds in the 1950s and 60s as a response to Brown v Board of Education and the Civil Rights Movement?
Another important factor is this. Do said persons even know about why the South wanted so badly to secede? And if one wants to make a statement, why pick the Confederate flag? The Gadsden flag will do just fine.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Oh no! What are the self respecting rednecks going to do now?

NASCAR joins race to disavow Confederate flag | TheHill
They can fly the flag of the United States of America. NASCAR was founded in the USA.

Interestingly, the South has large numbers of people serving in the Armed Forces of this country.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:12 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, here is a question I think should be asked. Do they know the reason why the Southern states wanted to secede? How much do they know about the Civil War?
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Another important factor is this. Do said persons even know about why the South wanted so badly to secede? And if one wants to make a statement, why pick the Confederate flag? The Gadsden flag will do just fine.
Well, This individual stated that "The mere fact that you acknowledge that they only fly the flag when they "want to make a statement" is telling."

Why is it telling? Did this individual know what statement my friends were trying to make?!

I explained to her what statement my friend was trying to make. He moved to California from his small southern town, and he has been told he was "uncivilized" by my other friends and my other friends were white!! He flew that flag just to **** the other people off. He wanted to show them that he was a damn proud southerner. It has absolutely nothing to do with history.

The ONLY point I was trying to make is that NOT everybody flies that flag is a racist. Yes, he is a bit insensitive, I will even say he can be childish at times. But do I give him the racist label?! No, I would not because he is not. (He's insensitive, and should have thought about his behavior before doing things, but racist? Not even close.)

You never know what’s going to happen in the heat of an election season when the eyes of politicos are on the polls and spines grow weak under pressure from the tide.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:20 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
To quote one of my favorite musicals, "Everyone's a little bit racist." It comes in degrees. Supporting a Confederate flag and saying ********* to those who have learned to fear those who promote the flag (which include myself, as a Jewish woman whose family faced a lot of backlash in the rural South) because "heritage" is racist.
Everyone is not a racist, prejudice maybe, using stereotypes to relate to or judge others, maybe, racist? I don't think so.

Southerners talk slow, so they must be stupid. They are backward. They are ignorant rednecks. What a shame they can’t be as elite and as enlightened as their northern cousins. The fact is, they just don’t fit into proper modern America. Isn’t it a shame? This remains one of the few politically correct topics of “humor” in comedy shows. You can always make fun of the rednecks who speak with a Southern drawl.But these same people retain a modern pride in the heritage of their region.

in keeping with liberal theory, we must eliminate some piece of cloth that reminds them of their heritage, even if it has nothing to do with racism or slavery in their minds. (in their minds being the key words here) It does to us! That requires a trigger warning, mister, and you didn’t provide us with a safe space!

Personally, I don't care either way, removing that flag, everybody happy. But let's not pretend EVERYBODY flies that flag is racist.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-24-2015 at 07:29 AM..

Old 06-24-2015, 07:43 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Default The Confederate Flag and politics

I hope the Democratic party can find someone other than Clinton since her husband is a racist.

http://dailycaller.com/wp-content/up...bill-FLAG1.png

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-24-2015 at 03:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies