Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 06:34 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I'd check your statistics and how the question was phrased. That 10-20% comes from those who admit to having a same sex experience. Not necessarily identifying as gay. (LGBT = about 3.8% of the population.)

And to address the OP, I live Indiana. In a small(ish) town. I see gay people every day. I see them holding hands in our downtown square. Or walking down the street. Or shopping for groceries.

Nobody does a double take or bats an eye.

No big deal.
Quote:
The demographics of sexual orientation and gender identity in the United States have come to light in the social sciences in recent decades. In the first large-scale government survey measuring Americans’ sexual orientation, the NHIS reported in July 2014 that 1.6 percent of Americans identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent considered themselves bisexual.[1] In a Williams Institute review based on an June-September 2012 Gallup poll, approximately 3.4 percent of American adults identify themselves as being LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender).[2] An earlier report published in April 2011 by the Williams Institute estimated that 3.8 percent of Americans identified as gay/lesbian, bisexual, or transgender: 1.7 percent as lesbian or gay, 1.8 percent as bisexual, and 0.3 percent as transgender.[3] The 2011 Williams Institute report also states that 8.2 percent of Americans reported that they had engaged in same-sex sexual behavior, and 11 percent reported some same-sex attraction. Studies from several nations, including the U.S., conducted at varying time periods, have produced a statistical range of 1.2 to 5.6 percent of the adult population identifying as LGBT.[3] Online surveys tend to yield higher figures than other methods,[4] a likely result of the higher degree of anonymity of Internet surveys, which elicit reduced levels of socially desirable responding.[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_d..._United_States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 06:36 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
I find it weird and creepy that there was a time when owning another person was considered normal;
I find it weird and creepy that there was a time when a parent could determine who their children married and this was considered normal;
I find it weird and creepy that there was a time when a woman couldn't own property, and that was considered normal;
I find it weird and creepy that there was a time when a woman couldn't vote, and that was considered normal;

Old 06-26-2015, 06:38 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Sort of like nature will see to it that there are no GBLTQ people? Oh, wait...
There are just as many "GBLTQ people" as there are green-haired people.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:00 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm 27 and think it's "weird" that it took until 2015 for us to catch up with countries like Mexico, French Guiana, and Brasil.

I grew up in the rural south. Few of my peers supported equal marriage in middle and high school, though I don't remember a time when I didn't. A decade later, I saw nothing but positivity scrolling through my former classmates' posts on Facebook. A few of the most virulently anti-gay kids are now in long term, committed same-sex partnerships themselves.

Yes, your children and grandchildren will think it was weird and immature of you to try to legislate based on your specific religious beliefs.
" A few of the most virulently anti-gay kids are now in long term, committed same-sex partnerships themselves. "

That would credibility to those that say those who are the most Anti-gay are really gay

Probably one of the biggest changes is in the military. Even as Obama's approval rating among our troops has dropped to a historical low, 15%, their attitude towards Gays serving is at a high

"A Military Times poll in 2009 found 35 percent of troops felt that gays and lesbians should be allowed to serve in uniform. Five years later, that figure has jumped to 60 percent."

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/m...tion/18959975/

Old 06-26-2015, 07:22 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Even today some kids think interracial marriage is weird even though it's almost an order of magnitude more common than gay marriage ever will be (judging by the LGB percent vs. percent of new marriages that are interracial*), it's been legal nationwide for over 50 years, legal in some states for centuries, and people have been shamed for saying it should be illegal for the past few decades. Support among the current crop of kids for removing legal status for interracial marriages is slim, but nevertheless a lot of them could understand why someone would want criminalization even if they detest the concept. I don't know if that would count as "thinking it's weird" or not.

The consensus among the youth is that one's sexual orientation shouldn't matter in society, and that includes marriage; it doesn't mean that they embrace or even personally approve of homosexuality, view it as normal, or can't comprehend why anyone would have a problem with it. There is a certain segment that can't comprehend having a problem with gayness and embrace it (and a certain segment that are anti-gay, let's not forget), but what puts gay marriage over the top among the youth is those that harbor the "your sordid affairs shouldn't be anyone else's business" attitude. In few words, the youth consensus is not so much "gay pride!" as "live and let live".

*Although that includes Anglo-Latino marriages, one of the most common kinds, which aren't exactly interracial; even without that it's still far more common than same-sex marriage ever will be.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
My kids think homosexual relationships and marriages are creepy. Of course, I have normal, well-adjusted children that don't buy into the militant left and homosexual blathering. They understand that sexual relationships between the same sex are abnormal. And no matter how the law was re-written to allow homosexuals to marry, most people, even if they accept that it's now legal, know that it's a perversion. They always have, they always will.
Are oral and anal sex between straight couples also perversions?

Old 06-26-2015, 07:44 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
They're in the minority for their age group.

Speak for yourself. I know no such thing. I can think of few things more creepy or perverted than being forced into a legal sexual union with someone you don't desire, as happened in the past - and some people apparently still think that's OK - and few things more cruel than denying someone who wants the chance to marry someone they love.
They can be with whomever or whatever they want, but marriage is between a man and a woman. Nothing has changed.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:46 PM

260 posts, read 218,366 times
Hard to start a family from your parent's home,on their health plan until age 26. Don't think the next generation iwill do much reproducing.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:59 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
They can be with whomever or whatever they want, but marriage is between a man and a woman. Nothing has changed.
Not anymore.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,617 times
Same reason young people now think its weird black people had to use different restrooms and drinking fountains than white people. Conservatives are slow witted troglodytes unable to comprehend that their own stupidity and lack of logic are not normal. Basically, stupid people never know that they're stupid. The smartest people are aware that they do not know everything that can be known, unlike conservatives who believe the Bible, Rush and FOX News are the complete repository of the world's knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies