Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:29 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,399,515 times

Advertisements

i like the motorcycle handicap tags, he can hold up a 700 lb harley but cant walk to the front door
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 11:07 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm disabled and have a handicap placard. I rarely use it. It seems that the disabled parking at places I frequent are always full. Plus, there are people who are hurting more than I. Even on really bad days, when I would avail myself of a shorter walk, I usually can't. So I deal. Probably 50% are parked in the zones with no placard, as well.
It is infuriating to see someone in a wheelchair van have to park in the north 40 because of the lazy slobs, but , we disabled folks are pretty adaptable and OK with doing what we have to do. The parking places are small issue compared to some other things. You learn to think things through and look ahead of things.
One favorite stunt, is someone stays with the vehicle, sitting inside with the AC on, while another goes in the store. I just roll my eyes. Turning them in won't stop this from happening. So I just rely on my AFO brace and/or my cane, and go on my merry.

I had to use crutches for a year. My upper body was in great shape, and I could navigate doors and stairs with consummate skill. A lot of people could care less if their inconveniencing disabled people, if it gains them a few seconds. Everybody is in a hurry, and their time is more valuable than us disabled folks is. So, we learn patience, and make things happen as needed.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:42 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Wife has spinal problems. She can walk short distances. Spinal stenosis, ruptured disc, 4 screws & 2 rods holding her spine together, nerve damage, shooting pain down her left leg, arthritis in her left leg, arthritis developing in parts of her spine near the neck. When in my car, I drop her off at the door and she waits on the bench for me to park the car. If in her car she tries to find a handicap space. One grocery shopping trip leaves her in bed in severe pain for days even with medication. I now do most of the grocery shopping. She's only 46.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:53 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Just because someone stays in a car while another person goes in the store doesn't mean that car doesn't have a right to use a handicapped parking space. Both parties could qualify for their own hang tags permits, common in older couples. Though I do know a few caregivers who take advantage of their care recipients tag and that's between them and God to judge what's in their hearts.

In twelve years of using handicap spaces because my husband was wheelchair bound I only turned in one person for illegally using handicapped spaces. It was a guy who owned a sports car who would park in the center of two handicapped spaces so he wouldn't get dings. We had reoccurring therapies in the same building where he'd go so after finding him several times doing that, I called the campus police who took care of the jerk. After that, he was parking in the far corner of the lot using just one space.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:54 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,659,336 times
I park in handicapped spaces, just to see handicapped people make handicapped faces...

not really but that line in the song makes me laugh

Old 07-04-2015, 07:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Just because someone stays in a car while another person goes in the store doesn't mean that car doesn't have a right to use a handicapped parking space. Both parties could qualify for their own hang tags permits, common in older couples. Though I do know a few caregivers who take advantage of their care recipients tag and that's between them and God to judge what's in their hearts.

In twelve years of using handicap spaces because my husband was wheelchair bound I only turned in one person for illegally using handicapped spaces. It was a guy who owned a sports car who would park in the center of two handicapped spaces so he wouldn't get dings. We had reoccurring therapies in the same building where he'd go so after finding him several times doing that, I called the campus police who took care of the jerk. After that, he was parking in the far corner of the lot using just one space.
Good for you. More people should be as diligent and then maybe this abuse will stop...at least for that jerk.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:10 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Quote:
Good for you. More people should be as diligent and then maybe this abuse will stop...at least for that jerk.
We have a volunteer police unit who is very diligent in responding to calls about handicap parking space abusers. It's their only job and they are militant about it. I've seen them issue tickets many times.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:36 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post

There are days you will see me park in the handicapped spot.......with a permit.

You would see me get out and walk in the store.........just fine.

But, what you would not know is I am picking up my disabled friend.

We just can not tell what a person's reason is.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:54 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Many handicapped people can walk or stand for long periods of time. That is not the measure anyway.
I don't care what the handicap is, if you can walk around the store for an hour then you can park 100 feet away from the door like the rest of us.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:00 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,489,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
No outrage here. About the only opinion I have is there are way too many spaces because the Dr's give out passes like candy.
Not really. My husband has COPD and a shattered T6 vertebra and he can't get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies