Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 09:04 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times

Advertisements

When I see a tagless, apparently healthy person park in a reserved handicapped space, I try to cough up a good sticky mess and spit it on the driver's side window.

Oh, wait a minute, I would never do that...as far as you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 09:07 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Calling the police is useless and damaging the car is illegal. I think that, in this day and age, taking a picture and sharing it on socialmedia for societal shaming may be the way to go.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
Not really. My husband has COPD and a shattered T6 vertebra and he can't get one.
Wow.........that surprises me.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:11 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,133,385 times
I keep a piece of sidewalk chalk in my car and leave a message on the pavement for the car owner. The person should at least have the decency to falsely apply for a handicap tag.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:20 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
And then there is this;
------------------------

If anyone would like a fake handicap tag or window placard I can supply ones that are identical to any state

They are made if vinyl and you simply place them over your real tag after you pull into a parking lot with the supplied Velcro strips.
There in no laws that say you must display a tag on private property. Only if you are on a public street. The worst thing that can happen is a parking ticket if you get caught. To prevent that you pull behind the store and apply it.

handicap tags for sake - Discussion on [domain blocked due to spam]

Old 07-04-2015, 09:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You can not judge the pain of others.

If they have a permit.........that is between them and their doctors.
Yes, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I've been known to say something to an obviously non-handicapped person with no handicap car sticker or mirror visor tag who takes one of the very few handicapped spaces available at a store.

People who do use these spots illegally tend to react the way you would expect a jerk to act, with belligerence, to being called out for their selfish and lazy act. They don't care about others who need that close parking space.....or anyone else. Most handicap space parking offenders I've observed are young folks, too.
I've done that too, and I concur with the observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Where I live in Toronto, Ontario, the Province of Ontario issues handicapped placards, AFTER a MD has examined the applicant. Their name and address are printed in the back of the placard. The placard can ONLY be used if the person named on the back of the permit is present.

All Police forces in Ontario will respond to a call about abuse of a handicapped parking placard. The officer will wait and speak to the driver of the vehicle and ask for the permit, to identify the person that it was issued to. If that person is not present, the fine is Two Thousand Dollars. And the placard is confiscated on the spot, and the vehicle is seized and towed to the Police pound. At trial, the Judge may suspend the driver's license of the offender, for a period of up to a year.

Are we serious about this, Yes, we are.

Jim B.
I like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And yet you can buy handicapped cards on the internet.

It's really stupid. I see people all the time in handicapped parking spots who are quite able to walk around the store for an hour or more.

Pathetic.
The police can usually tell the difference.

A couple of anecdotes:

We were having a family picnic in a busy Denver park one day. There was a lot of stuff to carry in and the parking was all on the streets, no big parking lot. My SIL suggested using her expired handicapped tag to get a closer spot. My daughter the physical therapist had a bird! I was shocked at the SIL. We didn't do it.

We were visiting the in-laws. We were planning to go to some activity, and my MIL asked if we wanted their handicapped tag which they had for my FIL who had a legitimate reason for having one. This one wasn't too shocking; she has a sense of entitlement. We said no.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:49 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,098,442 times
I don't really do anything. I'd consider leaving a friendly note reminding them of why they're a **** though.

I get that the handicap spot is legally abused by people who are morbidly obese, so the validity of the spots can be questioned, but when it's someone who was injured or born with an actual physical disability, those spots are needed. Anyone who can ignore that to justify parking in it without needing it on the grounds that 'fat people use these' needs a character adjustment.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:58 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I just don't care.
I never parked in a handicap space. When I was having problems walking I learned how important those spots are to someone with a disability. I had to go to the store. I had a handicap tag and drove up to the only one they had. There was this woman sitting in the drivers seat of the car, smoking a cigarette. I knew I could not walk far so I waited. Then two young girls came running out and got into the car and they drove off. I had surgery and no longer have problems walking and wouldn't dare park in one.

people are ignorant!

Old 07-04-2015, 10:22 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
Not really. My husband has COPD and a shattered T6 vertebra and he can't get one.
I bet 9 out of 10 Dr's would give him one. Just try another.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:25 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
The only time I ever spoke up was when I saw this stupid millennial push their shopping cart into a handicapped space to save 10 ft of walking. I waited for him to get in his car and then pushed the cart back behind his car so he had to get out again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies