Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 07:44 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times

Advertisements

So "it's only about the flag on public buildings" is it? Give them an inch and they take a mile.

Group calls for removal of Confederate monument in Seattle | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

For more than a century, Lake View Cemetery has been the final resting place for many of Seattle's pioneers.

"Just because it's a military memorial doesn't justify it," Charlette LaFevere says. "It's offensive."

LeFevere is part of a small group calling on Seattle City leaders to have the 89-year-old United Confederate Veterans Memorial taken down.

And yet they have no problem with a statue of mass killer, Lenin in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 07:48 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Seattle Mayor Ed Murray doesn't like the monument, but says any sort of removal is out of his hands.

"Private property is private property," Murray tells KOMO News. "I support the First Amendment. I don't want it there, I don't like it, but I also don't believe it's the roll of government to tell people what to do with their private property."
I agree with the mayor.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:08 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
So "it's only about the flag on public buildings" is it? Give them an inch and they take a mile.

Group calls for removal of Confederate monument in Seattle | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

For more than a century, Lake View Cemetery has been the final resting place for many of Seattle's pioneers.

"Just because it's a military memorial doesn't justify it," Charlette LaFevere says. "It's offensive."

LeFevere is part of a small group calling on Seattle City leaders to have the 89-year-old United Confederate Veterans Memorial taken down.

First of all, who is "them"?

The only people who should decide if monument should come down, in this case, are the people who own the cemetery, and even then I would have a problem with it. It's part of history, it ought to stay there.

And you ought to get over your "us" versus "them" mindset.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:10 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
The flag is down. There are no "next steps". It's done. It's a witch hunt at this point and I'm sick of it.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:11 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

And you ought to get over your "us" versus "them" mindset.
As soon as the liberals stop doing everything they can to divide the country maybe I will. Did you tell that to Obama when he pushed the 'us vs them' mindset, or are you flexible on that point?

Old 07-12-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
As soon as the liberals stop doing everything they can to divide the country maybe I will. Did you tell that to Obama when he pushed the 'us vs them' mindset, or are you flexible on that point?
That's cute, if it wasn't for those pesky liberals trying to divide this country instead of doing what the right wingers told them to do without giving them any lip.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:13 PM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Oh what the heck.

It's in a cemetery for cripes sake.

Hope the thugs who have vandalized a cemetery monument have karma knocking on their door very soon.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:20 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
At first I thought you were joking.

No, Seattle really does have a Lenin statue.

If the Confederate flag is offensive, because it represents opposition to the US government and oppression of the evils of slavery - that is fine.

But how is Lenin, someone who advocated terror and mass executions of political prisoners not offensive to these same people?

Old 07-12-2015, 08:25 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that to liberals you conservatives are the divisive ones?

Old 07-12-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
At first I thought you were joking.

No, Seattle really does have a Lenin statue.

If the Confederate flag is offensive, because it represents opposition to the US government and oppression of the evils of slavery - that is fine.

But how is Lenin, someone who advocated terror and mass executions of political prisoners not offensive to these same people?
If you are curious about the history of this specific statue, here is a great write up about it....also another very important fact, this statue sits on private property so it is the land owner's choice. Something right wingers should be willing to respect.

Fremont’s Lenin statue traces journey from Slovakia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies