Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 12:54 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You think every conservative is extremely religious and the all liberals are not ?
I have yet to see you confront the numerous posters the equate liberals with every ill they can imagine. The moment a person generalizes conservatives you come running to correct them. Not that I mind. I find it hilarious watching poster blame liberals for every annoyance in there daily lives. I'm pretty sure there is some guy somewhere in the US blaming Obama and those damn liberals for rainy days.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Why not follow God's word in its entirety?
jesus once told us to follow the laws of man UNLESS they go against the laws of god.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:02 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
once you do that you should have a solid bases of understanding why Christians don't want to live under the Torah.
A Christian that rejects the old testament. I'm admittedly not educated on this, but it strikes me as odd.

Quote:
Beyond that let me state as a Christian, on the biggest political subject of our time relating to the subject of American Politics and Christian faith, I do NOT want to prevent anyone from getting married. I just don't want people of faith (any faith) from being forced to participate in an activity they have always viewed as sin.
Defending a justice of the peace refusing to conduct marriages is about as silly as defending a preacher who refuses to work on Sundays....

Old 07-15-2015, 01:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
A Christian that rejects the old testament. I'm admittedly not educated on this, but it strikes me as odd.
the old testament has as much validity as the new. remember again that jesus he came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:27 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
There is a flavor for everyone, your choice. It is called religious freedom. Different interpreattions.

Why do liberals live in such an absolute world? If we agreed on 95 % of issues and disagreed with one, a liberal would consider you an enemy. Sounds like Islam is your kind of religion. Plenty take a literal interpretation of God's word and thus the stoning and revenge killings, etc. With all dissent out of the way it is a relgion of peace.
When the GOP wants to deny equal rights because of "sincerely" held religious views, I question how you're able to sincerely hold those views because the bible and god says do X, but gloss over so many other things the bible says.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:31 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Why not follow God's word in its entirety?
Because no one wants the inconvenience of no shopping or driving on Saturdays, no cheeseburgers at McDonalds, and their churches boarded up.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:32 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I suggest you read Acts 10. it will cure you of your ignorance on the subject of pigflesh
Acts is not part of the Bible and is thus irrelevant.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:

Defending a justice of the peace refusing to conduct marriages is about as silly as defending a preacher who refuses to work on Sundays....
You're wrong. Every person who performs marriages has the right to decide if someone can and cannot be married. Dh and I had to have a lengthy conversation with the preacher who married us before he'd perform the ceremony. Someone marrying people needs to approve of the marriage to marry them. This is not a real issue though as there is most certainly someone who can in good conscience marry anyone. Take polygamy for example. There are preachers who will perform the ceremony but most will say no. If one says no, go find another one.

Christians don't reject the old testament. We consider it history. We no longer live under the law. We now live under Grace. We'd be Jewish if we still followed the old testament.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:04 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:

1. considering the way you addressed the issue: "Christian that rejects the OT"
its completely understandab le that you are not educated on the subject.

please see my earlier post directing all of you to the NT book of Romans. it is instructive on how Christians view the OT, and its role in our lives. both "reject' and "live according to" are inaccurate words.

I am pretty sure I have not discussed any justice of the peace in this or any other thread...so you are picking your fight with the wrong person.

What I have said is that I seek for all people the same things.

1. to marry (or not marry) the person one wishes.
2. that people of faith not be forced to participate in any marriage that is not in keeping with their religious belief.

(not part of this thread but as an aside, From a Christian perspective, I have LONG thought it egregious that the Church turns to the state to validate marriage.

My actual solution for this issue is that in all government levels, government strick the word Marriage and use domestic partnership. AND not limit it to two people who want to have sex with each other. Rather use the term for what matters to government. that being two people who seek to rely on one another.

Marriage is a private matter that two people can choose be that religious in nature or otherwise. )

Old 07-15-2015, 02:09 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Because BACON!
Agreed!

OP, it is futile to expect human beings to be 100% consistent in everything. Beside, as a thoroughly irreligious person myself, I'm not going to tell anyone what their religion should consist of. Although I reserve my right to critique any religious tenet whatsoever, I don't base my criticism on whichever holy book the religionist espouses, unless I'm pointing out the existence of internally contradictory passages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies