Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 12:42 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times

Advertisements

I laugh at non-Americans thinking their smarter than us. Don't be a sucka for the accent. There is no such thing as an intellectual. Let them think what they want, we got them fooled.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post

Although Trump does not fit with your ideology, it does not give you the reason to label his supporters as "a nation of really dumb people". It is such a broad personal attack based on undocumented basis which you apparently should avoid on a public forum if you are a trained educator as you claim.
Trump is a product of ideology and therefore does indeed "fit." One might argue that he fits too well, unfortunately.

You failed to understand my comments about "dumb people."

Old 09-03-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
It's a typical liberal response... Anything that isn't their opinion is immediately deemed dumb. There's no rationale behind it. It just sounds right. Since Harlem Resident feels like he is the sole "voice of reason in this thread", he has to make broad sweeping generalizations about a large chunk of Trump supporters. For the record, before Harlem calls me an idiot, I'm actually neutral on political matters (as he supposedly claims to be) although my views tend to lean towards the conservative side.
No ... few liberals notice whether anyone is dumb or smart. They only ask whether it serves THEM. This is the sole criterion.

Such defensiveness will probably give people pause, as it should - that's the thing.

We are considered a "dumb" and naïve country population-wise.
As anyone who has traveled is fully aware. This is a fact.

Trump would fit right into this understanding and that's fair.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:53 PM

I'm well travelled and find the rest of the World to be far dumber than us.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:59 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'm well travelled and find the rest of the World to be far dumber than us.
Depends on where you been to......Iceland or Ecuador does not speak for the rest of the world

Old 09-03-2015, 01:25 PM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times
It's real simple why certain other countries think Americans are "dumb": because we were the first nation with a big enough and economically mobile enough middle class able to afford leisure travel enough to make it's presence known around the world.

Too bad for the likes of France that its middle class cannot afford to be frequent travelers and therefore show their less-educated face to the world. I'm proud to come from a nation that affords these oppurtunities to not just its elite but also its working stiffs.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It's real simple why certain other countries think Americans are "dumb": because we were the first nation with a big enough and economically mobile enough middle class able to afford leisure travel enough to make it's presence known around the world. Too bad for France that its middle class cannot afford to be frequent travelers and therefore show their less-educated face to the world. I'm proud to come from a nation that affords these oppurtunities to not just its elite but also its working stiffs.
Most university professionals in France, England, wherever, find their American students sadly unprepared in comparison to their own, or people from Europe or former Soviet, China, etc. broadly speaking.

I only say "most" because I have not polled each and every university professor.
It may indeed be closer to "all."

It is the case that with a few exceptions - universities on the European model - American universities are at a lower standard.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Most university professionals in France, England, wherever, find their American students sadly unprepared in comparison to their own, or people from Europe or former Soviet, China, etc. broadly speaking.

I only say "most" because I have not polled each and every university professor.
It may indeed be closer to "all."

It is the case that with a few exceptions - universities on the European model - American universities are at a lower standard.
You could have told on such misconception/misgeneralization using some critical thinking.

First of all, you got to understand that world's top colleges are located here in the US, therefore the majority of top US and international students would strive to attend US colleges if they could. That also explains why foreign students in the US as a group outperform American students because they are often more self driven to success and have to pass some competitive selections to come here in the first place.

With those top students pretty much retained at home, you should now understand that many of the american students studying abroad do not represent the full intellectual potential of the general population. Also, we all know the fact that among American students, there is a large disparity in school/intellectual performances among different races, usually with east asians/european whites perform above the standard as a group whereas latinos/blacks perform below the average. Depending on the racial background of the american student body abroad, misconceptions of American students in general can arise among your english or french colleagues who have little understanding of how things are here in the US.

When you hear their above comments in future, please feed them some background information so they no longer take pride in misbelieving that they are smarter than you.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:07 PM

University professors are useless anyway. Wasted knowledge.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:14 PM

This is one of the better selling points of Trump in his campaign. And he is smart enough to use it.

Donald Trump vows that if he's elected president, he would "be the greatest jobs president that God ever created."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies