Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 07:38 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
How many more adjustments to your normal freedom of movement are you prepared to make so firearms can prevail? Weren't they supposed to protect you from giving up your right to liberty and pursuit of happiness? Liberty doesn't include your ability to go to a movie without passing through security checkpoints? Pursuit of happiness doesn't include your freedom to enjoy a movie or other activity without having to consider getting shot by some nut?

Will you be prepared to absorb the loss of jobs created when people stop going to their favourite venues because they have to empty their pockets, take off their shoes, and walk through a metal detector to get wanded by some 9th grade drop-out on a summer job, just to watch a movie, shop at the mall, bowl a few frames or attend an evening mass. How stupid is this all going to get before you wake up and smell the gunpowder?

Are you folks that seriously disconnected to the reality of freedoms you're losing with this chit while stridently maintaining ONE freedom that was supposed to guarantee all those you're giving up faster than a Porche on nitrous?

I don't get it and neither does anyone else with a grain of common sense.
Why does the anti-gun crowd always ignore the obvious fact that even if guns were made illegal tomorrow, crazy guys like this shooter will simply ignore the law and kill anyway.

Does anyone really believe that criminals are going to follow the law? Does anyone really believe that we can eliminate the more than 300 million guns in our society? Does anyone really believe that honest, law abiding citizens who own guns are the threat?

Gun rights are all about preserving and protecting our families and our freedom. Rather than constantly trying to take away my constitutional right to own a firearm, why don't you focus your energy on something more useful (and achievable), like eliminating the Patriot Act.

I'm not the least bit scared to go to the movies, or the mall, or anywhere else for that matter. In part because I carry, I train on a regular basis, and I know I can defend myself and my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 07:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

We need to figure out how we want to deal with the mentally ill, not how we can control the 99.99999% that would never consider doing something like this.
The best predictor of future violence is a history of prior violence.

Most mass shooters have no history of prior violence.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

This guy had a history of violence. I think your statement is incorrect. Be it killing small animals for the sake of killing them or numerous encounters with the police over things like domestic issues, I think you will find most do have these qualities.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:18 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
Quote:
This guy had a history of violence. I think your statement is incorrect. Be it killing small animals for the sake of killing them or numerous encounters with the police over things like domestic issues, I think you will find most do have these qualities.
This is known to be a reliable predictor of future violent behavior.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:20 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

But they are for the most part on disinhibition- and akathisia-inducing SSRI psych meds. Which never existed on the drug market before 1988.

The United Kingdom is getting hit worse by violence because they've knowingly banned effective means of self-defense:

_"The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S."_
"Britain's violent crime record is worse than any other country in the European union, it has been revealed.

"Official crime figures show the UK also has a worse rate for all types of violence than the U.S. and even South Africa - widely considered one of the world's most dangerous countries."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...frica-U-S.html

Thank God for our Second Amendment.

Last edited by mm4; 07-26-2015 at 08:30 AM..

Old 07-26-2015, 08:29 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,123 times
_"Violent U.S. crime drops again, reaches 1970s level: FBI"_
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0IU1UM20141110

As of 2011, the FBI reports violent crime dropped to a 5-year low:
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...tables/table-1

Old 07-26-2015, 09:49 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,023,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Two mass shootings in three years, almost to the date, a third that was a lone shooting and a few that were possible had The Interview was not pulled by Sony on Thanksgiving weekend last year. I know theaters are "mostly safe because of a rare event" but on the other hand, arenas and stadiums have NOT had shootings at events (stabbings, fights, etc. only) but yet DO have various forms of metal detection for the various sporting events. I've worked sports as an un-armed security guard (as the venue is a gun-free zone) and the metal detection is to create a safe zone. Sticks including selfie sticks are banned (for the most part) to prevent someone turning it into a blunt force weapon. Knives are banned also. Guns are banned of course (except on-duty law enforcers and US Marshals.) From there, if there is a gun-man who gets in, they have cops who are indeed armed to stop them if need-be. For sports, this don't happen. Movie theaters aren't but yet we've seen two mass shootings, another lone shot and another potential series of mass shootings tied into The Interview being shown in theaters. I think it is time we do look into metal detection and security at movie theaters, if not for a security blanket.
I'd have no problems with the theaters installing those walk through metal detectors. It makes total sense, they do it sports stadiums like you said. At least that way I could relax a little easier at the theater. I want to see that new Arnold movie but I might wait until it comes out on DVD. I'm getting a little paranoid lately. Everybody looks like a potential nut job waiting to snap.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:14 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,920,226 times
Every one should have guns. As we all know, war zones are noted for their extreme safety.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:30 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,920,226 times
The shooter looks a bit like Ronald Reagan in the mug shot thats being shown in the news. Or maybe thays just the generic angry tea party guy look.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:39 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
So the theater would no longer be a "no gun zone"?
Do you want only unarmed guards or police should there be a perimeter breach like Aurora, CO or a case like you suggested someone shoots up the security checkpoint or even parking lot

Quote:
The problem is people who want to kill a large number of people, not how they do it.
True but if one of your loved ones were killed you would want measures to make damn sure that don't happen again. The same as if you got killed, your family wouldn't want to put another family through that. As I said metal detection isn't the cure all but it highly mitigates the risk.

Quote:
It's creating a police state. Forget it. It's also silly to think that if this guy couldn't have got in the theater that he would have just went home and lived a peaceful life. We need to figure out how we want to deal with the mentally ill, not how we can control the 99.99999% that would never consider doing something like this.
Another strawman with the police state. As I've said several times, sports arenas and sports stadiums have similar measures already. If you don't like security measures taken at theaters, arenas and stadiums, just don't go them. If you want to bring banned items such as guns and knives, leave them home, leave them in your car or you can't come in, even if you paid your money for the tickets already. I know better so I will enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies