Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:50 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

In my personal life, I try to surround myself with positive people who believe that America is a good country and reinforce the American dream. I don't like surrounding myself with debbie downer liberals who think the rich are evil, the country needs to be transformed, etc.

Do you find associating yourself with liberals upsetting?

Old 07-28-2015, 08:57 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In my personal life, I try to surround myself with positive people who believe that America is a good country and reinforce the American dream. I don't like surrounding myself with debbie downer liberals who think the rich are evil, the country needs to be transformed, etc.

I find it absolutely horrifying. They are the worst to be around, especially if you say something they disapprove of, they get all high and mighty and spew childish garbage. I've had some at my house for backyard parties and they just get up and leave (stomp out) when subjects that they don't approve of come up in conversation. They are extremely childish in their behaviors.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:57 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
I have several liberal friends and my family is overwhelmingly liberal. I find progs get very heated and emotional when discussing political issues, so political discussions are not discussed often. You can't easily discuss facts with someone who primarily bases their beliefs on emotions.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I have several liberal friends and my family is overwhelmingly liberal. I find progs get very heated and emotional when discussing political issues, so political discussions are not discussed often. You can't easily discuss facts with someone who primarily bases their beliefs on emotions.
Not only that I find them downright nihilistic.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:03 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Me, no.

I find irritating people irritating and choose not to associate with them.

I'm a conservative Christian, but if I had a "friend" who never stopped talking about gay people and how sinful they were all the time, I'd disassociate myself with that person. If that same person had those feelings but didn't constantly bring it up, it wouldn't change anything.

Back in the day before I ditched Facebook (should have never signed up), a friend of my parents "friended" me. Since I didn't want to seem rude, I accepted. He constantly posted about how horrible conservatives were and just kept harping on and on. I quickly put him on the ignore list.

I have no issue with friends who are politically the opposite of me as long as they are not annoying irritations; however, that encompasses all topics, not just politics.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:04 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Upsetting? Not really. They can be annoying at times, but that's not all of them. I'm not going to blame an entire party on the horrifically bad manners of a few.

I know a lot of liberal people...and what we do is agree to disagree on most things, while other things we can actually discuss like rational human beings. It's nothing like this forum.

For the most part, however, I try to focus on what I DO like about them, and not bother discussing politics with them. The only thing I can do is try to be a good ambassador for the Conservative party. They KNOW I'm not rich, I'm not greedy, I'm hard working, and I'm fair...so at least if they see some idiot spout that "all Republicans are" x, y, or z, they know better. Same goes for them. Since, for the most part, they act rationally, I know that not "all liberals" are a, b, or c.

Yes, I think some of their opinions are ridiculous and short sighted, but again, there's so many other things that we agree on in this life, that it's not worth it.

NOW, liberals at places I've worked who just spew their hatred everywhere, they can pound sand.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:09 AM

37,165 posts, read 19,174,827 times
I enjoy my conservative friends, and I have many, even though I am a tree-hugging Liberal. We don't see eye-to-eye, but we can discuss issues and retain respect for one another.

If you never hear an opposing opinion you never learn a damned thing. Ignorance is a choice.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:11 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,390 times
Associating with folks of any political persuasion who constantly complain is tiring. It's not only liberals, conservatives are just as capable of it. For every Al Sharpton there's a Rush Limbaugh to match.

Last edited by unihills; 07-28-2015 at 09:35 AM..

Old 07-28-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I enjoy my conservative friends, and I have many, even though I am a tree-hugging Liberal. We don't see eye-to-eye, but we can discuss issues and retain respect for one another.

If you never hear an opposing opinion you never learn a damned thing. Ignorance is a choice.
It's not about ignorance - it's about not willing annoying yourself.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I have noted that the Konservative's base most of their arguments and beliefs on emotions. Rational discussion with these people is nearly impossible. For instance they usually claim that America is great and needs either no improvement or a return of the good old days. I, as a liberal progressive, believe that America is good but could be better if we equalized opportunity to all of our citizens regardless of color, parental circumstance or wealth. I believe we could stop wasting our money on our Empire and spend the money on our own needs instead of our military command structure and greedy contractors.

I lived through the good old days before the black freedom marches and women's liberation. I remember that the most important part of being employed was not the wages but the health insurance. I remember having to choose between learning the religion of business and making a huge amount of money or studying environmental science and getting a lot of satisfaction but little pay. I retained what was left of my soul after a year on the riverboats in 'Nam and chose the latter.

I remember the Good Old Days and from my point of view they were NOT good except for a few of the racially, sexually and financially chosen. I want to create the Great New Days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies