Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:14 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times

Advertisements

Almost everyone around me is a progressive liberal. I've gotten used to it. You should see the shock when they realize that I am a libertarian. They usually have no idea how to respond to any sort of argument. The group think is strong, the majority have never had their political ideology challenged.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:16 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
My friendships are more important to me than politics. I can get along with anyone who feels the same. And it's good for me to hear all sides of an argument.

It's not that you have an opposing opinion - it's how you express your opposing opinion. Negativity from any side is unwelcome in my world.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:24 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,961 times
I've found that a well rounded mix of Daisey-Do-Gooder Liberals fills my days with some much needed comic relief ..

You can't possibly ever take these guys seriously - They are probably some of the most laughed at people on the planet.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:26 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I've found that a well rounded mix of Daisey-Do-Gooder Liberals fills my days with some much needed comic relief ..

You can't possibly ever take these guys seriously - They are probably some of the most laughed at people on the planet.
A lot of them are really doe-eyed and harmless.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:35 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
I'm a progressive and have friends across the political spectrum. I associate and enjoy everyone in my social sphere. My family also ranges from conservative to liberal.

I guess up here in New England we learn to respect each other, understand that people have different perspectives and that we can learn from each other.

Not associating with others due to their personal political or religious beliefs makes you sound like an a*****e.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Me, no.

I find irritating people irritating and choose not to associate with them.

I'm a conservative Christian, but if I had a "friend" who never stopped talking about gay people and how sinful they were all the time, I'd disassociate myself with that person. If that same person had those feelings but didn't constantly bring it up, it wouldn't change anything.

Back in the day before I ditched Facebook (should have never signed up), a friend of my parents "friended" me. Since I didn't want to seem rude, I accepted. He constantly posted about how horrible conservatives were and just kept harping on and on. I quickly put him on the ignore list.

I have no issue with friends who are politically the opposite of me as long as they are not annoying irritations; however, that encompasses all topics, not just politics.

I have the same thoughts. There is a younger couple in the neighborhood, who lean left (the dude's wife is further left than he is), and they hang out with us a lot. My nextdoor neighbor who identifies as a libertarian, and my neighbor across the way who identifies as a republican (both in their 60s) are constantly busting their balls! But it's all in good fun. My neighbor has a tendency to post some controversial s*** on FB that gets people's panties in a wad, and has been in timeout for it a couple of times. At any rate, there is an understanding amongst us and our thoughts and opinions are what they are.

My cousin in Louisville is a bleeding heart. All he does is complain about "the racist south this and that" blah blah blah, proclaims to be an atheist! Ron Paul is a kook.... Yada yada! He works for one of the auto companies and is a union guy, so he is toting the line. When we talk or text, I try to keep it sports related, and stay away from politics.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:43 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I have the same thoughts. There is a younger couple in the neighborhood, who lean left (the dude's wife is further left than he is), and they hang out with us a lot. My nextdoor neighbor who identifies as a libertarian, and my neighbor across the way who identifies as a republican (both in their 60s) are constantly busting their balls! But it's all in good fun. My neighbor has a tendency to post some controversial s*** on FB that gets people's panties in a wad, and has been in timeout for it a couple of times. At any rate, there is an understanding amongst us and our thoughts and opinions are what they are.

My cousin in Louisville is a bleeding heart. All he does is complain about "the racist south this and that" blah blah blah, proclaims to be an atheist! Ron Paul is a kook.... Yada yada! He works for one of the auto companies and is a union guy, so he is toting the line. When we talk or text, I try to keep it sports related, and stay away from politics.
But honestly do you really even have that much in common with that cousin when you sit down and think about it?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:44 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In my personal life, I try to surround myself with positive people who believe that America is a good country and reinforce the American dream. I don't like surrounding myself with debbie downer liberals who think the rich are evil, the country needs to be transformed, etc.

Do you find associating yourself with liberals upsetting?
Where I live, I have no choice but to interact with Liberals on a daily basis. It's the Politically Correct Nazi bullies that want to control everything that is said that I can't stand to be around. The Libertarian/Liberal, no problems with me.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:45 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post

It's good that you don't, you won't be disappointed when another moves into the White House in 2017.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
burdell - You and I have had our differences and our agreements but if you think the Democratic anointed one is a Liberal you are sadly mistaken. Ms. Clinton is a corporatist that is wholly owned and controlled by big finance, big military and big Pharma. This is why I am not supporting her for the Democratic nomination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies